Question on planting between pine rows?

7 point

I just joined a new lease it's mostly young pines I was considering planting between the pine rows but not sure what would be best without taking a chance on harming the trees.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I would try oats or rye grass. You'll need to work the ground loose and free it of weeds and such. I've did it a few times up a pine row, and all with a garden rake. I planted mine in late September / mid October, and after a good rain shower had moistened the ground a little. You'll definitely need to be getting sun light on it. Real shady areas may not grow as well. And as long as you don't cut any of their trees, you should be fine. Might be a good idea to ask, though. Just to be safe.

Good luck.

7 point

I would try oats or rye grass. You'll need to work the ground loose and free it of weeds and such. I've did it a few times up a pine row, and all with a garden rake. I planted mine in late September / mid October, and after a good rain shower had moistened the ground a little. You'll definitely need to be getting sun light on it. Real shady areas may not grow as well. And as long as you don't cut any of their trees, you should be fine. Might be a good idea to ask, though. Just to be safe.
I did they said as long as dont damage the trees .
Good luck.

shdw633

I'm on timber company property and do a lot of planting between pines. What works well for me is to disc up the area and then put down fast acting lime, I get the pelletized lime at tractor supply. I then run the disc over the plot one more time, plant Penningtons Rackmaster seed and drag. I have had great plots and have never hurt a tree in the process.

shdw633

If you want to plant something now for green manure this fall I recommend brown top millet and alyce clover (also with the pelletized fast acting lime). The millet protects the clover until it's tall enough for browsing and the millet dies off after three months leaving you with a real nice plot of clover for your deer to feed on in the summer, then come fall you can just over seed your clover plots with the Rackmaster/pelletized lime and the clover will protect those seedlings until the first frost (which lately hasn't happened until after the rut) which will kill the alyce clover off but that will leave you with the Rackmaster food plot the it's been protecting until next spring when you start the whole process over again.

Jim Boyd

.... we use a pull behind spreader and ag lime

7 point

I'm on timber company property and do a lot of planting between pines. What works well for me is to disc up the area and then put down fast acting lime, I get the pelletized lime at tractor supply. I then run the disc over the plot one more time, plant Penningtons Rackmaster seed and drag. I have had great plots and have never hurt a tree in the process.

How deep can you disc without hurting any tree roots?

davidhelmly

We do it quite a bit also, we’ve got miles of planted rows that look just like Jim’s. Just be super careful if you’re using a tractor and disc, it’s easy to scrape the pines if you’re turning around or try and get too close to the trees and the timber company won’t like that!! We normally do a mix of cereal grain, clover and brassica in the fall and you will be amazed how many deer use it, they feel really safe is those narrow plots. Good luck with it and get that lime out as soon as you can because the soil in those rows is extremely acidic.

shdw633

How deep can you disc without hurting any tree roots?

I have never had an issue with the disc and roots so you more than likely can just drop and go but like davidhelmly stated make sure you don't get too close to the trees as to hit them and give yourself a good area to turn around in, I have both a disc and a tiller and really like using the tiller in areas like pine rows but it takes longer to do.

Jim Boyd

For me, the question is not how many roots I am gonna damage - but how many disc blades, disc bearings and disc axles I am gonna destroy.

I have bought at least a dozen blades over the years.

Be safe!

7 point

It's a new lease it needs some mowing and other work done but I'm confident it be worth it.

Buck70

If you don't hit the trees with your tractor, you won't hurt those trees. My brother's biggest buck came out of trees that size, straight into a food plot. 10 pt and 139 5/8.

7 point

My lease dont start until July 1st I'm already looking forward to getting to work on it .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If the landowner/manager is ok with it you can remove the lower limbs. This won’t harm the trees as long as you don’t damage the top.
Doing this gets more sunlight on your crop and helps you see deer sooner.