Questions about arrowheads/ spearheads

bugman114

Hi yall. I have some Q's about arrow heads. first let me say, that my camera broke, so i apologize for the lack of pics. But i have found some Un-natural looking rocks around here, and was curious weather they are or not.

First off, i have found many black rocks, that have shinny glitter-like specs on them. I have found a few that are perfectly triangular (an equilateral triangle, all sides the same size) , but flat. about an inch in diameter, and about 1/4 inch thick. Also some square ones, also about an inch in diameter, and 1/4 inch thick.

Also, today i was digging a big hole, cuz im making a Koi pond. its 9 feet, by 9 feet, by 4 foot deep. Anyway, After about 1 foot, i noticed i was finding a lot of square rocks. And some rectangular. they were about 2 inches long. they are still covered in clay, so i'm not sure of the rock type, but i'll let ya know 2morrow. So far i am about 1.5 to 2 feet deep. I'm no rock expert, but i'll atleast try to describe as best i can.

I am new to this, and the main reason i want to learn more about this stuff, is cuz i would hate to find something cool, and then toss it, thinking it was just a rock.

Thanks in advance yall.

Also, just cuz i'm curious, at about what depth do yall find most of your artifacts at?

Last edited:

allenww

finding artifacts

Bugman -

Absolutely no smart -aleckyness meant, but of the ones I have found, 99 1/2% have been on top of plowed ground after a rain. The other few have been in water or
on construction sites, and still very near the surface.

The Indians were here just 180 years ago, which is a geologic eye-blink

wa

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Pics would be a big help, and don`t throw anything away until you can get them looked at.

Down here around where I am, the hardpan is down an average of about 18 inches below the surface of the topsoil. That`s where a lot of points in undisturbed soil are. That`s why it good to look in fields, washouts, disturbed soil, creek and riverbanks, and such places.

bugman114

awsome, thanks for the info. It was at about 18 inches or so that i found a bunch of square rocks. My camera is broke. so i'll try to get a new one soon. I'll let ya know what kind of rocks they are (or describe them, since i don't know anything bout rocks XD ). I noticed that for the first foot, there were layers of dirt. First brown dirt, then clay, then brown then clay, then brown then clay. that was the first foot, after that there was a wierd layer. it looked almost like rock, but it was crumbly like sand. It looked like black, white, and grey sand mixed together. For the most part it was crumbly, but i found a large chunk or two that was solid, almost hard as rock.
It looked like this:
Granite.jpg

Almost like granite. Anyway, i found all the square rocks a few inches below that layer, so about 18 inches to 24 inches deep.

All this talk makes me want to go looking arond my yard 2morrow. I had found the black stones just siting in my front yard on the top of a hill that has no grass (just mud, that washes away after a heavy rain.

Nugefan

I would think the square ones have been fractured from freezing ....

awaiting pix .......