Question about a Springfield 1861

BBQOutdoors77

After doing some genealogy research, I found that I have two grandfathers who served with the Union Army. I’ve been thinking about getting a Springfield 1861 for some time now. I know just enough about them to be dangerous.

Anyway, besides taking to a gunsmith after purchasing….what things should I look for in regards if it’s safe to fire? I will probably shoot it only on special occasions and then will be in a display case.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :rockon:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't and have never owned one and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night but I do shoot black powder guns.

A real antique 61 Springfield in an sort of decent shape will probably be very expensive. I would not hesitate to shoot it after a careful inspection but ----

The rifle and many other similar ones of that era have been reproduced in mass for use by WBTS reenactors. They have exactly the same look and feel. From 5 feet away they are indistinguishable from the originals and they are safe to shoot. If you play with one of these repros and damage it, you have only damaged a modern rifle that can be easily replaced and not one of historic significance.

WaltL1

I don't and have never owned one and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night but I do shoot black powder guns.

A real antique 61 Springfield in an sort of decent shape will probably be very expensive. I would not hesitate to shoot it after a careful inspection but ----

The rifle and many other similar ones of that era have been reproduced in mass for use by WBTS reenactors. They have exactly the same look and feel. From 5 feet away they are indistinguishable from the originals and they are safe to shoot. If you play with one of these repros and damage it, you have only damaged a modern rifle that can be easily replaced and not one of historic significance.
I'm not a "reproduction" kind of guy, but under the circumstances noted above, I would give a repro serious consideration and take away any worries.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Agreed but I got a repro 1895 Winchester and love shooting it. I probably wouldn't shoot a real one nearly as much.

GeorgiaBob

It is possible to buy an original 1861 Springfield Armory .58 caliber rifled musket. The price truly is an issue. A rusted, non-firing relic of an 1861 will likely still cost well over $1,500 and can never be restored to safe firing condition. A well cared for rifled musket in "as issued" condition (there are many examples available) can cost up to $10,000. The sticker price goes up a lot if there is documentation to prove it was used in battle between 1861 and 1865.

original 1861 Springfields

Pedersoli, Uberti, Armi, Traditions (actually also Italian made I think), and others, offer modern copies of the 1861 Springfield that are fully functional and mostly appear identical to the 160 year old weapon. You can even buy kit versions that can be completed at home. The prices of these weapons run from about $900 up to nearly $2,000.

Unless you find a weapon that was used buy your ancestors, or perhaps issued to their units, I suggest you look at a modern copy. I don't have a Springfield but I do own a reproduction 1853 Enfield .58 caliber rifled musket. I have fired both an original Enfield and my copy, and can attest there is no notable difference. Nor is there any real difference in appearance. If it weren't for the Italian maker's mark on the barrel they would be identical.

Some Pedersoli reproductions available

((by the way, using the designed Minie Ball {original or "improved"} either the Springfield or the Enfield are very, very accurate weapons. If you get one please consider hunting with it. Just a little practice and you should be good within a 4" circle out to 150 yards!))

WaltL1

It is possible to buy an original 1861 Springfield Armory .58 caliber rifled musket. The price truly is an issue. A rusted, non-firing relic of an 1861 will likely still cost well over $1,500 and can never be restored to safe firing condition. A well cared for rifled musket in "as issued" condition (there are many examples available) can cost up to $10,000. The sticker price goes up a lot if there is documentation to prove it was used in battle between 1861 and 1865.

original 1861 Springfields

Pedersoli, Uberti, Armi, Traditions (actually also Italian made I think), and others, offer modern copies of the 1861 Springfield that are fully functional and mostly appear identical to the 160 year old weapon. You can even buy kit versions that can be completed at home. The prices of these weapons run from about $900 up to nearly $2,000.

Unless you find a weapon that was used buy your ancestors, or perhaps issued to their units, I suggest you look at a modern copy. I don't have a Springfield but I do own a reproduction 1853 Enfield .58 caliber rifled musket. I have fired both an original Enfield and my copy, and can attest there is no notable difference. Nor is there any real difference in appearance. If it weren't for the Italian maker's mark on the barrel they would be identical.

Some Pedersoli reproductions available

((by the way, using the designed Minie Ball {original or "improved"} either the Springfield or the Enfield are very, very accurate weapons. If you get one please consider hunting with it. Just a little practice and you should be good within a 4" circle out to 150 yards!))
Pedersoli makes some really nice, quality repos for sure.
And its worth mentioning you have to really know exactly whats correct and whats not on the "originals" you find these days or you are going to pay "original" prices for a cobbled together weapon.
I'm going to date myself here but I remember going to gun shows years ago where they had tables and tables of originals for just a few hundred $.

Stevie Ray

I believe YouTube's Hickok45 did a video or two on the Springfield 1861, can't recall if it was original or a replica but he seems to be pretty familiar with that musket. Might be worth a watch if you haven't already done so.

That would be an awesome firearm to have!