Rabbit Salad

Redbow

Any here ever made or eaten Rabbit salad? My Aunt used to make it she loved the stuff. Back in the day there were a lot of Cotton-Tail Rabbits around and we hunted them often. Aunt Rachel after skinning and cleaning the Rabbits would boil then debone the meat. She usually cooked two Rabbits for the salad.

Rabbit salad was made like most people make chicken salad but the Rabbit meat added a bit of a different flavor to it than chicken. Rabbit salad made a good sandwich as well and a good bit of it on your plate along side collards, turnip salad or boiled potatoes made for a good meal. Some folks preferred sweet taters with their Rabbit salad and fried corn bread.

I don't think today I could even find a wild Rabbit in our area to make a good bowl of Rabbit salad. Its been decades since I have eaten it but farm folks when I was growing up enjoyed it often during Rabbit hunting season. I would guess that Rabbit salad up where I was raised in Johnston County NC is more than likely a dish that has been lost to time and most folks have never eaten it. It was good stuff.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Interesting, never even heard of it. My mother would put it in the pressure cooker for a bit and make gravy to serve over rice. My grandmother would always par boil it then fry it up. Only two ways I ever had it. When I was young we'd cook them on a stick over an open fire. Did that several times as an adult as well with my sons.

Redbow

Interesting, never even heard of it. My mother would put it in the pressure cooker for a bit and make gravy to serve over rice. My grandmother would always par boil it then fry it up. Only two ways I ever had it. When I was young we'd cook them on a stick over an open fire. Did that several times as an adult as well with my sons.
We cooked a Cotton-Tail one night at work, we skinned and cleaned the Rabbit and hung it up in front of the electric heater mounted on the wall by a brass welding rod. A friend of mine I worked with brought the rabbit to work so we could cook it there. We mopped a bit of bbq sauce on the rabbit while it was cooking with paper towels. When it was fully cooked we ate and enjoyed it, one of the best tasting rabbits I have ever eaten.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
When I ran a lot of rabbit boxes, I ate it about every way possible.
Rabbit salad was a favorite.
When "Daisey" was young (early 30's) her Dad was a sharecroper and as a side hustle he trapped and raised rabbits for his sister's restaurant. In '39 the restaurant burned down and they were stuck with (according to her) hundreds of breading rabbits and couldn't eat them fast enough no matter how many ways her Mom figured out to cook them. To this day she still get's a nervous tic around Easter.

Hoss78

Never had rabbit salad but have a friends mother that makes deer salad outta that muscle low on the ham that has a lot of gristle and tendons, Pretty good stuff.

Duff

Never heard of it, but I’d try it in a second! Sounds good!

Redbow

When I was a kid I always had a couple of rabbit boxes out when rabbit hunting season was in. Every now and then I caught a 'possum in one of my boxes. I always carried some newspaper or a brown paper bag and some matches to burn out the rabbit box to kill the smell of the 'possum. If I didn't do that it would be several days before I caught another rabbit in that box. I usually baited my rabbit boxes with a piece of apple.

If some of you guys who have never eaten rabbit salad decide to try it let me know how you like it. As someone stated its pretty simple to make but its good.