Rain wear recommendations

1gr8bldr

I'm looking for a waterproof type rain suit, or clothes, something I can wear fishing, that I will not get soaked from throwing a net for bait. Something quality that I could just leave on when I'm done and begin to fish and be comfortable. It needs a storm flap over the front zipper, breathable, no snap type buttons to hang the net on and prefer lightweight. I tore a new Frog Toggs yesterday, 5 minutes into catching bait as the crotch seam busted 10 inches just from bending over.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've got the Simms bibs and jacket. I didn't get them insulated because I would sweat myself as wet as if I got rained on. I've had them 3 or 4 years and they have never leaked.

There's not really a middle ground in rain gear. There's either really cheap, or really expensive. At least not when I was shopping.

ghadarits

You must be throwing a big net. I throw a 12ft net without the need for rain gear using the method in the link below. No teeth no throwing any net over any body part, With practice I can walk up to it pick it up and throw it within 45 seconds.
http://www.madnesscharters.com/portfolio-view/easiest-way-to-throw-a-castnet/
If that doesn't work for you Bass Pro 100mph rain gear will hold up a lot better than frogtoggs. Simms is about as good a gear as you can get but they are real proud of their products. With that being said I have both Simms and BP and they have both help up well to my not so gentle use.

1gr8bldr

I'd like to have something that wears like clothes, without the bulk of typical suits. If I have to pay to get something like that then I just may, but hopefully opinions here can point me to something.

ghadarits

I'd like to have something that wears like clothes, without the bulk of typical suits. If I have to pay to get something like that then I just may, but hopefully opinions here can point me to something.
If you find that share it with the rest of us. I've been looking for it about 40 years.

1gr8bldr

You must be throwing a big net. I throw a 12ft net without the need for rain gear using the method in the link below. No teeth no throwing any net over any body part, With practice I can walk up to it pick it up and throw it within 45 seconds.
If that doesn't work for you Bass Pro 100mph rain gear will hold up a lot better than frogtoggs. Simms is about as good a gear as you can get but they are real proud of their products. With that being said I have both Simms and BP and they have both help up well to my not so gentle use.
When I go out and catch bait, the 7 inch bait is usually 1, to 5 throws and I got 100. So, i can manage to stay dry. But BIG gizzard shad are my target most trips and I might throw 40 times or 200 according to how many days of bait I'm after. The time when I get the wettest is when i notice that a portion of net has draped itself over a lead line. If you throw without fixing it, it's a bad throw before it leaves your hand. So, i stick my knee out allowing the net to drape across my middle body and reach for the problem . Windy days are the worst when I drop the weights from the retracted net. If they fall straight down in a net hanging straight down, all is good, but if the wind has blown the net to the side and the weights go straight down, that the highest probability of problems. Also, it happens as I get hung up, pick up sticks, catch a gar or carp, etc.

1gr8bldr

I've got the Simms bibs and jacket. I didn't get them insulated because I would sweat myself as wet as if I got rained on. I've had them 3 or 4 years and they have never leaked.

There's not really a middle ground in rain gear. There's either really cheap, or really expensive. At least not when I was shopping.
How does it wear? Like a rain suit... or a little better. Hard to explain but you know what I mean.

1gr8bldr

Thanks for the link. This style does not suite me well. Too long to load and to long to hold the net away from your body, but I have actually been looking for this. 25 years ago a boat dealership paid a guy to come demo net throwing and I went. I learned his method. [this same method, that I have forgotten how to]. I preferred mine, however, my method opens and begins to recoil back closed so you time it's opening to hit the water. This method linked does work from elevated positions such as a high wall. Or leaning over a rail. It can be thrown off a beach pier and work the same. Mine can not. Thanks for the link. It may come in handy some day

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The old mullet fishermen along The Forgotten Coast used to wear either Grunden or Helly Hansen rain gear.

ghadarits

How does it wear? Like a rain suit... or a little better. Hard to explain but you know what I mean.
I feel like it wears well but I'm only fishing or just trying to stay dry. Throwing a net brings on a whole set of issues on it's own. They both have storm flaps over the snaps that cover the zipper so snagging shouldnt be a problem but they are still kind of bulky. Plus I buy a size or two bigger so I can layer clothes under them. They serve as wind protection for me as much as rain protection. I'll be putting one of them on in about 15 minutes and going fishing.

ghadarits

I'd not thought of HH gear until Nic mentioned it above. It is made for working in weather you might want to see what they have to offer. My Grandmother married a guy after my grand dad passed away that was a mullet fisherman and he swore by HH. He was only about 5' 3" and could throw a 20ft net and make it look easy. He was kind of out there, in the summer in south Florida he'd be shirtless and covered in mosquitoes and never even acknowledge them.

Last edited:

ghadarits

Thanks for the link. This style does not suite me well. Too long to load and to long to hold the net away from your body, but I have actually been looking for this. 25 years ago a boat dealership paid a guy to come demo net throwing and I went. I learned his method. [this same method, that I have forgotten how to]. I preferred mine, however, my method opens and begins to recoil back closed so you time it's opening to hit the water. This method linked does work from elevated positions such as a high wall. Or leaning over a rail. It can be thrown off a beach pier and work the same. Mine can not. Thanks for the link. It may come in handy some day
It works for me and my 12ft net any place I throw it so if anyone reading this wants to know an easy way to throw a 12ft or smaller net this would be a good place to start.

1gr8bldr

I noticed a lot of the high end rain shirts do not have a storm flap? I'm surprised. Have they made zippers now that are waterproof?

doomtrpr_z71

Frabill has been my last two rain suits and they have worked well, one light weight for summer and one insulated for the winter. The bibs have passed knees and stretch so you can move pretty well. Both of mine have storm flaps, my next rain suit will be a gill, I got a discontinued rain jacket last year on black friday and it was awesome as well.

KrappieKrane

Look at rainsuits in the golf world. Footjoy makes a lot of lightweight and comfortable jackets and pants but it is not cheap. I worn a set for fishing for quite a few years and would recommend. Check eBay for preowned items