RANGE SAFETY: man gets hot brass down shirt: shoots self in face

georgia_home

the links I found had worty dirds in the comments

guy in Ohio was shooting what appears to be indoor range. Hot brass bounces down his shirt, and the trouble starts.

continues to hold gun in right hand while trying to deal with the situation, and shoots himself in the face.

you can google it, or duck duck go… injuries we’re not as bad as it could have been. From what the article indicated.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Betcha he sues. or wishes he could...
I mean... 'Sue's ?

Nimrod71

I had a friend shoot himself in the hand while loading his 9 mm pistol. It really messed his hand up. He has had a number of surgeries on the hand and he can use it now but not as good as before shooting himself. He is not new to guns, been around them all his life and handled them just as long. He said he didn't know why he pulled the trigger. He said it got his attention and he will be more careful in the future.

Dub

I’m surprised more people aren’t killed at gun ranges. There are too many idiots who don’t observe strict discipline to muzzle direction. Saw it the other day when a guy was “teaching” another shooter how to release the slide on a full mag.....with the gun pointed at the left-hand lane VS downrange. Often see the same thing when folks are racking slides....gun pointed beside them for some stupid reason.

Idiots will idiot.....but endanger those around them, too.

tr21

i dont think i would call him a idiot in this situation. i can see how it would happen at that moment ..and any of you that think no way that would happen to me are full of it !

Dub

i dont think i would call him a idiot in this situation. i can see how it would happen at that moment ..and any of you that think no way that would happen to me are full of it !

Its okay.....you don’t have to. I will. The guy is an idiot !!!!

Now he is a lucky idiot.

I have had brass go down my shirt plenty of times. Didn’t react like that fool did.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yeah... let someone walk up behind you and jab you with a battery powered cattle prod when you're concentrating on "being real careful"..."careful" goes right out the window...along with whatever one has in their hands.
Had a "Top" that had that kind of sense of humor during my early training days.

tr21

ole' dub is one bad man ! i'm sure if he had a baby and it fell in a pool, he'd stop before jumping in and think i need to drop my pistol, wallet and cell phone before jumping in. i'm sure being such a bad man he's never had a accident !!!!

Lindseys Grandpa

The Sheriffs Office I worked AR before retirement does a Citizens Firearm Course , during the live fire portion of class a lady had a piece of hot brass go down her blouse and commenced to run down range ripping her shirt off. Fortunately we had coaches standing beside each shooter and hers was able to catch her while others coaches stopped their people from firing . Could have ended badly.

Dub

ole' dub is one bad man ! i'm sure if he had a baby and it fell in a pool, he'd stop before jumping in and think i need to drop my pistol, wallet and cell phone before jumping in. i'm sure being such a bad man he's never had a accident !!!!

You are making some ridiculous comparisons.

Whose responsibility is it to maintain muzzle discipline?

Make all the excuses you want for that idiot, but the fact remains he is lucky he didn’t kill himself or someone else.

I don’t suffer fools.

tr21

my point is yes it is the shooters responsibility to maintain muzzle discipline but there are situations where you will not think for 1 second about whats in your hand. i'm a experienced shooter and still can see how this would happen. now if they said he went to scratch his nose with the barrel and shot himself i'd agree with you

bullgator

I believe an experienced shooter would have set the firearm down on the table that was just inches below before dealing with the hot brass. He seemed to react like a new or less experienced shooter.

tr21

I believe an experienced shooter would have set the firearm down on the table that was just inches below before dealing with the hot brass. He seemed to react like a new or less experienced shooter.
i agree but still see how it could happen. sorry dub but i wouldn't call him a idiot for that. (y)