Rank hog boar taint

bany

I doubt boar taint smells much like anything til you start cooking it. I’m sure cooked it stinks enough you wouldn’t want to taste it.
Occasionally it may be strong enough to smell before cooking.
It probably has nothing to do with usual musky smells. Most any boar rutting and breeding stinks to high heaven but probably eats fine. Meat hunting I’d rather shoot one that’s not in that condition.

These are my observations from my limited hog hunting experience. I have shot and processed 4 wilds hogs over the past year. All of which were taken on public land in various parts of the state. Three sows (60, 150, 150 pounds) and one boar (80 pounds) They all smelled the same like mud and stagnant water, but no rank or tainted smell. They all tasted just fine too. I think there is a certain level of "musk" that is to be expected when dealing with wild swine. However, the stench you all are describing seems to be way beyond this and I have personally never experienced it.

Mauser

Y’all can have any boar hog I kill, no matter the size, I ain’t eatin it. I’m done cleaning any hog matter of fact,unless we get hungry. Nasty stinkin jokers. Kill ‘em all and feed the buzzards. Between 4 of us we killed 145 last year and 33 this year. Numbers way down this year from last. This on roughly 3000 acres baker,Calhoun and early co.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Y’all can have any boar hog I kill, no matter the size, I ain’t eatin it. I’m done cleaning any hog matter of fact,unless we get hungry. Nasty stinkin jokers. Kill ‘em all and feed the buzzards. Between 4 of us we killed 145 last year and 33 this year. Numbers way down this year from last. This on roughly 3000 acres baker,Calhoun and early co.

You got that right, my Friend. Life is way too short to fool with a stinking boar hog. I know, I`ve been fooling with them for a long time too. And raised hogs as well. If a gilt come in heat at hog killing time we wouldn`t butcher her either. They too will be rank.

Thetrooper

I doubt boar taint smells much like anything til you start cooking it. I’m sure cooked it stinks enough you wouldn’t want to taste it.
Occasionally it may be strong enough to smell before cooking.
It probably has nothing to do with usual musky smells. Most any boar rutting and breeding stinks to high heaven but probably eats fine. Meat hunting I’d rather shoot one that’s not in that condition.
Yeah the meat itself doesnt have a foul odor raw. You're right once you cook it it's game over.

sghoghunter

The people that can kill them almost every day won’t even waste their time cleaning a good one. My knife ain’t touched a hog in a many of years

Thetrooper

These are my observations from my limited hog hunting experience. I have shot and processed 4 wilds hogs over the past year. All of which were taken on public land in various parts of the state. Three sows (60, 150, 150 pounds) and one boar (80 pounds) They all smelled the same like mud and stagnant water, but no rank or tainted smell. They all tasted just fine too. I think there is a certain level of "musk" that is to be expected when dealing with wild swine. However, the stench you all are describing seems to be way beyond this and I have personally never experienced it.
Totally agree I've never met a hog that smelled good. Mostly that muddy smell to be expected..some big boars smell bad when you get up on them but there's really no way of knowing til you cook some up if it's got the taint. It's unforgettable to say the least lol. I shot some pigs down on the coast this year that were rooting up mussels and clams thought they might have a strange taste but they were good

Mauser

You got that right, my Friend. Life is way too short to fool with a stinking boar hog. I know, I`ve been fooling with them for a long time too. And raised hogs as well. If a gilt come in heat at hog killing time we wouldn`t butcher her either. They too will be rank.
I came along right at the end of the hog killings for us. I can only remember 1. But we kept about a hundred sows till about 03 or 04 when they weren’t bringing but a nickel a pound. We didn’t turn any out but I know some that did cause they couldn’t afford to feed em.

Okie Hog

Yep, i eat a lot of wild hog meat and a lot of venison. Wild hog meat don't even resemble the light colored stuff sold in stores. Besides there's no growth hormones or anti-biotics in wild hog meat.

Recently a rancher friend advised i should eat a good steak. Told the rancher that the sight of a beef steak brings back the smell of the cattle feedlots south of Amarillo.

sghoghunter

Yep, i eat a lot of wild hog meat and a lot of venison. Wild hog meat don't even resemble the light colored stuff sold in stores. Besides there's no growth hormones or anti-biotics in wild hog meat.

Recently a rancher friend advised i should eat a good steak. Told the rancher that the sight of a beef steak brings back the smell of the cattle feedlots south of Amarillo.

I thought about ya last night Okie. I popped a fat lil pig yesterday afternoon right before dark and I cooked me a couple chick eyes on an open fire.

Attachments

• E5CE535C-DAF4-4328-9251-9F70EC2D133E.jpeg
    E5CE535C-DAF4-4328-9251-9F70EC2D133E.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 9ED17D08-20BE-4125-8F01-80B1F1B0E879.jpeg
    9ED17D08-20BE-4125-8F01-80B1F1B0E879.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 15

Ihunt

Way too many sows to worry if a boar will be worth eating