Record Florida 17-foot 7-inch, 164-pound Python Carrying 87 Eggs

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
No doubt that the release of them in the Glades was a Perfect Storm for a Non Native, Invasive species..............What is freaking me out, is the lack of so many animals in a once thriving habitat.

Maybe the hogs will keep them fed, but when you start seeing a lack of Hogs, then it is really time to freak out:hair:

I agree they should allow open season, year round for the killing of the Pythons......

If you have not seen, there is an African Rock Python that is also loose.............It is much more aggressive and if it Breeds with the Burmese, there will be one seriously furocious Hybrid of a snake

SonyaS

Nice how in the photos they are smiling after killing a pregnant female. They must be so proud! They killed a pregnant female and ripped the babies out of her belly!

Burmese Pythons did not "invade", they were bought here and released by selfish and irresponsible humans.

The female just tried to survive as best she could in a foreign land.

lbzdually

Banned
Nice how in the photos they are smiling after killing a pregnant female. They must be so proud! They killed a pregnant female and ripped the babies out of her belly!

Burmese Pythons did not "invade", they were bought here and released by selfish and irresponsible humans.

They are still an invasive species and should be killed even if their belly is full of babies. The native species should not have to be killed out because of human stupidity. We made the problem, now humans have to deal with it. To let the invasive species run amok will only multiply the problem.

Hankus

I shoot pregnant sows, I'd surely kill a pregnant INVASIVE species with the same amount of remorse :D

SonyaS

They are still an invasive species and should be killed even if their belly is full of babies. The native species should not have to be killed out because of human stupidity. We made the problem, now humans have to deal with it. To let the invasive species run amok will only multiply the problem.

And has the Florida Legislature changed the laws regarding the trade/sale of giant snakes? I do not think so. Florida has some of the worst reptile laws in any state. Florida reptile dealers will sell anything, yet the answer is to cut up pregnant snakes, not charge the dealers that cause the problem.

You can buy a snake (Anaconda, Burmese Python, etc...) online and have it shipped/delivered via UPS in 24 hours.

BornToHuntAndFish

Please read the news items at the web links & please remember that Google is your friend, then you may understand that this very long hungry predator python ate the babies of other animals & only 87 of the babies in eggs of other animals were not yet digestive by this giant snake.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Sonya, the problem is that almost anytime you introduce a foreign species, it either displaces or disrupts native species. This includes not only mammals, but reptiles, fish, plants, and trees. Believe me when I tell you this is not a good thing.

patchestc

were they her eggs or eggs he/she ate?

either way, kill 'em!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It is beyond me why they are wasting tax dollars capturing and researching these invasive creatures. Call for an open season on them and put a bounty on their hides, the good ol' boys in Florida know how to take it from there.

swamp hunter

[QUOTE=Miguel Cervantes;It is beyond me why they are wasting tax dollars capturing and researching these invasive creatures. Call for an open season on them and put a bounty on their hides, the good ol' boys in Florida know how to take it from there

YES We do , BUT that,s Federal Land. Only access is by walking. The Glades are Huge, Mostly Water and Sawgrass.
I,d have a hard time Walking it for a 130 Class Buck let alone for a Snake.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Time to have a python round up like they do in TX for the rattlers and Australia on the toads, BBQ:fine:

mwells353

There is not as many as the media is reporting. I have buddies that actually do go snake hunting for burms down around the glades all the time and do not see near the numbers reported. Sometimes its days before they even find one. Also those eggs that they pulled from the above python are unfertilized ova(eggs). Just because they pulled eggs from a snake does not mean they were fertilized. I am in no way saying that the problem is not present but the media is a powerful tool that unfortunately has been used in a very negative way. The coldfront that South Florida had a couple of years back did a huge favor in killing off alot of burmese and other exotic reptiles.

SonyaS

Sonya, the problem is that almost anytime you introduce a foreign species, it either displaces or disrupts native species. This includes not only mammals, but reptiles, fish, plants, and trees. Believe me when I tell you this is not a good thing.

The problem is people treat pets as disposable items. Pits get bred for fighting so the pits get a bad name and banned/euthanized, not the people that made them that way, they can go on to destroy other breeds and other dogs, no one will lift a finger to stop them.

Burmese pythons live 25 years, adults weigh in excess of 200 lbs, need their own room and require 2 grown people to handle safely, yet they are sold for $75 a piece as babies online (and in pet stores) to anyone that wants to have a cool pet for a year or two. Order one online today and have it by Thursday via Fed-X! When the irresponsible buyers get bored or inconvenienced after a couple of years they dump them into the wilderness and it is suddenly the pythons fault. The python is evil! I realize the pythons need to be eradicated, but what about the people that did this?

That right there is the problem. Irresponsible humans. Anyone with common sense should have seen the problem coming, the temps in Florida would allow those snakes to thrive, yet they did NOTHING to regulate or prevent problem.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The problem is people treat pets as disposable items. Pits get bred for fighting so the pits get a bad name and banned/euthanized, not the people that made them that way, they can go on to destroy other breeds and other dogs, no one will lift a finger to stop them.

Burmese pythons live 25 years, adults weigh in excess of 200 lbs, need their own room and require 2 grown people to handle safely, yet they are sold for $75 a piece as babies online (and in pet stores) to anyone that wants to have a cool pet for a year or two. Order one online today and have it by Thursday via Fed-X! When the irresponsible buyers get bored or inconvenienced after a couple of years they dump them into the wilderness and it is suddenly the pythons fault. The python is evil! I realize the pythons need to be eradicated, but what about the people that did this?

That right there is the problem. Irresponsible humans. Anyone with common sense should have seen the problem coming, the temps in Florida would allow those snakes to thrive, yet they did NOTHING to regulate or prevent problem.

I realize that, but the problem still has to be addressed as to the invasives themselves. Our ecosystem is more important than the exotics that will disrupt it, so drastic measure need to be taken. If it is not already too late. I agree that the laws on exotics needs to be handled accordingly, but the exotics that are there now need to be destroyed.