Rednecks Invading Maine and Quebec

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Thanks for sharing these, Slow. My wife and I went up for our 20th and spent time from Boston to Maine with the best part being that we ended up spending time on one of the islands off the coast of Portland with a friend. I remember my buddy getting all upset that live lobsters had went up to $7 from $5. He was fit to be tied. That was 5 years ago.

Lots of WWII history up there that I had no idea about.

Portland is Asheville in Maine but was cool to visit. Those cold water 'Salts' (not oysters) are the best that I have ever had and its not even close. Gulf oysters are no comparison.

Best part was every where we went, who ever saw my Braves hat had to comment that they were Braves fans. Apparently, just like back in the day in GA, TBS was one of the few channels that they could get without cable and everyone watched the Braves.

slow motion

Thanks for sharing these, Slow. My wife and I went up for our 20th and spent time from Boston to Maine with the best part being that we ended up spending time on one of the islands off the coast of Portland with a friend. I remember my buddy getting all upset that live lobsters had went up to $7 from $5. He was fit to be tied. That was 5 years ago.

Lots of WWII history up there that I had no idea about.

Portland is Asheville in Maine but was cool to visit. Those cold water 'Salts' (not oysters) are the best that I have ever had and its not even close. Gulf oysters are no comparison.

Best part was every where we went, who ever saw my Braves hat had to comment that they were Braves fans. Apparently, just like back in the day in GA, TBS was one of the few channels that they could get without cable and everyone watched the Braves.
Happy hour today. 1/2 price so $24 a dozen instead of $42. I agree that they are good though. Instead of ice in the tray underneath like I'm used to it's coarse salt. Served with cocktail, champagne .migonete, or house hot sauce. 20240613_155030.jpgThat hot sauce was special. Put it on these pork belly sliders.
20240613_155033.jpg
Had a few onion rings too.20240613_155038.jpg

slow motion

Random pics from Acadia

Top of Cadillac Mountain20240613_103429.jpg20240613_101711.jpg20240613_100622.jpg20240613_100627.jpg20240613_100634.jpgFound it interesting a lot of the rocks have these grooves worn in them.20240613_102409.jpg20240613_102401.jpg20240613_102540.jpgSome sort of wild rose i think. See it in lots of places. Blooms are not quite rose like but seem to have a lot of thorns.20240613_103632.jpg20240613_103642.jpg

slow motion

20240613_095109.jpgDecided to visit Acadia NP. Cadillac mountain then drive the 20 something mile loop. Because of the large amount of people who want to drive up Cadillac Mountain a reservation is required. Has to be done online. Cost is 6 bucks. Can't purchase without park admission, 35 bucks. So Sweet Thang takes care of it on her phone. At this point I will offer a tip. Create an account instead of checking out as a guest. Will explain later. You receive for your 41 dollars 2 qr codes. When you pull up to the booth for the drive up fellow scans both codes. You're good to go and up you go. Afterwards when you come back down you drive past booth and set off on loop road. Beautiful scenery. Wanted to see Thunder Hole but so did everyone else. Cars lined the road for quite a ways so we didn't stop. Passed by several of the bridges Rockefeller had built for the carrier roads. Part of his philanthropy.
20240613_121515.jpg
Now as a first time visitor to the park I didn't realize the park is segmented. We rolled up to an entrance. No signal on cell phone. Told the fella we had already been up th Cadillac. Didn't they give you a recipt? No. Okay you can turn around and go to this spot where there's a little reception and screenshot and come back. So went there and can only find code for Cadillac. Had to pay 35 bucks again. facepalm: At least the money goes to the park system.

Leave for Moosehead Lake later

slow motion

Side note: Broke my phone screen in turkey season. Got a new one just a few days before the trip. Because of our early departure time for original flight that was canceled had set alarm for 1:30 am. After a couple days here phone started alarm ringing at 1:30 am. I have tried everything to stop it. Sometimes it acts as if on snooze and goes off multiple times. Only way to stop is to turn phone off at night. Crazy.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313

Geffellz18

View attachment 1311562Decided to visit Acadia NP. Cadillac mountain then drive the 20 something mile loop. Because of the large amount of people who want to drive up Cadillac Mountain a reservation is required. Has to be done online. Cost is 6 bucks. Can't purchase without park admission, 35 bucks. So Sweet Thang takes care of it on her phone. At this point I will offer a tip. Create an account instead of checking out as a guest. Will explain later. You receive for your 41 dollars 2 qr codes. When you pull up to the booth for the drive up fellow scans both codes. You're good to go and up you go. Afterwards when you come back down you drive past booth and set off on loop road. Beautiful scenery. Wanted to see Thunder Hole but so did everyone else. Cars lined the road for quite a ways so we didn't stop. Passed by several of the bridges Rockefeller had built for the carrier roads. Part of his philanthropy.
View attachment 1311563
Now as a first time visitor to the park I didn't realize the park is segmented. We rolled up to an entrance. No signal on cell phone. Told the fella we had already been up th Cadillac. Didn't they give you a recipt? No. Okay you can turn around and go to this spot where there's a little reception and screenshot and come back. So went there and can only find code for Cadillac. Had to pay 35 bucks again. facepalm: At least the money goes to the park system.

Leave for Moosehead Lake later
Dang, that sux! For another $10(of paying twice!), you could have just gotten the Annual pass and been set for All National parks, monuments & recreation areas in the nation through next June! Surprised the park rep didn’t mention it.
I do this every time I need to re-up.
Bought it last October when I traveled to CO and went through RMNP.
Still good and will be traveling to OR and WA in September and will be able to use it for all of the NP’s, etc up there too before it expires. Even covers the $5 daily fees here locally on the national recreation area properties on the Chattahoochee.
Only need one person to have one as it supports up to 8 persons in your party. So if you got it, your wife’s covered too. No need for both to have one.
Depending on your age, you may qualify for the lifetime pass for the same price as the annual pass once you hit 60-65 or so.
My dad had it when we traveled in 2017 to CA. Hit several NP’s and Monuments along the trip, plus all of the major ones in CA minus Redwoods. Probably 10-12 different places.
My dad, mom and my family of 4 didn’t pay a dime to get into any of them since dad had his pass!
Just an fyi for future reference.

Beautiful shots! Appreciate you taking us along for the ride.

Last edited:

Geffellz18

Now I know that *** airline! Once was enough for me!
I did their cheap flights a time or two just to get to Miami to fish S. FL when my brother was stationed down in Homestead. Weren’t too bad for $20 something bucks RT.
Took my son on one of the trips and it was around $55 RT for us both. Packed really light!
Fortunately no major delays or cancellations for me.
Did the big yaller air bus once & swore them off quick like. Over a 6hr delay and nickel and dimed for everything. After it was all said and done the flight may have been slightly more than just booking through a major airline. Most uncomfortable flight I ever took to Vegas and back.
But hey, it made for a memorable trip that we still talk about today so there’s that.

slow motion

Haven't had brown eggs in a long time. Tasty.
20240615_090118.jpg20240615_090919.jpg
Yesterday was the first time in a long while since ive picked up a fly rod. Some times its ugly. Sometimes its really ugly but once in awhile its a thing of beauty. Caught a few brook trout. Hooked a big one on a caddis but gave him slack and he came off. That's cool though. Saw him twice. Felt the thumps as he swam against the pressure of the rod. It was in a word, amazing. 20240615_105413.jpg20240615_105406.jpgBaby ducks at my feet. 10 in all.20240615_114947.jpg20240615_115001.jpg20240615_112820.jpg20240615_112758.jpgDrift boat a couple young guys were setting out in.20240615_124845.jpg

slow motion

I`d like to plunder around some in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Hunt moose and grouse, fish a little for for brook trout. Looks like there should be plenty of room to be able to get away from people. That is some pretty country.
Don't wait too long brother Nic. Time slips up on you. Remember you posting about planning a driving trip to Alaska. What's another couple weeks to a retired fella.

Just a friendly reminder about those memoirs too.

slow motion

More charcoal and a steak last night. Package said NY Sirloin? Shore nuff big. Both were well over a pound.
20240615_193305.jpgNever seen caddis flies like this. Besides coming off the river they are hiding in rocks along the river or bushes and trees. The sparkles are caddis.
20240615_192927.jpgEverything preys on them including geese of all sizes.20240616_083314.jpg
Walked back down to the river this morning. Hoping to catch a salmon before checking out and headed to Quebec. There are landlocked in there.
My meager fly selection. 20240615_143842.jpg
Took the road less traveled.
20240616_061400.jpg
Ended up here again.
20240616_071545.jpg20240616_064346.jpgManaged to do this. Line between spool and frame. Haven't fixed it yet.20240616_083800.jpg

While the fish didn't cooperate it was a fine morning up until it wasn't. Wanted a few more casts and as I worked my way down river in ankle deep water the rocks under my feet shifted. Twisted my left leg under myself as I fell. I managed to crawl to the bank and hoist myself up on a tree. Hobbled to my ever present hiking staff I had unfortunately leaned against a bush. Limped back to the cabin. Had the rest of the bacon and eggs and a handful of ibuprofen. 20240616_081834.jpg
Ankle is swollen and angry but checkout is 10 and we've got another destination.

slow motion

Made it to hotel. Fancy place but me in my Dawg hat and Bone Collector tshirt blend right in. Heck I'd been here less than 5 minutes and was already returning greetings of bone jore and mercy bookoo like I was born here.

View from hotel window.20240616_142033.jpg

Views from hotel roof bar.20240616_144548.jpg20240616_144553.jpg20240616_144601.jpg20240616_144617.jpg

View of stick I'm gonna be good friends with for some time.
20240616_154906.jpg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
More charcoal and a steak last night. Package said NY Sirloin? Shore nuff big. Both were well over a pound.
View attachment 1312084Never seen caddis flies like this. Besides coming off the river they are hiding in rocks along the river or bushes and trees. The sparkles are caddis.
View attachment 1312081Everything preys on them including geese of all sizes.View attachment 1312080
Walked back down to the river this morning. Hoping to catch a salmon before checking out and headed to Quebec. There are landlocked in there.
My meager fly selection. View attachment 1312085
Took the road less traveled.
View attachment 1312077
Ended up here again.
View attachment 1312078View attachment 1312086Managed to do this. Line between spool and frame. Haven't fixed it yet.View attachment 1312088

While the fish didn't cooperate it was a fine morning up until it wasn't. Wanted a few more casts and as I worked my way down river in ankle deep water the rocks under my feet shifted. Twisted my left leg under myself as I fell. I managed to crawl to the bank and hoist myself up on a tree. Hobbled to my ever present hiking staff I had unfortunately leaned against a bush. Limped back to the cabin. Had the rest of the bacon and eggs and a handful of ibuprofen. View attachment 1312079
Ankle is swollen and angry but checkout is 10 and we've got another destination.
If it can happen it will. Do what you gotta do to save this vaycay.. who knows when you'll get another chance at it.

Latest posts