Reds, trout and doormats SSI 7/19/10

wharfrat

We've been on a pretty decent bite the last couple days, and I told Charlie we needed to go after the slam before his vacation is over. I was a little worried about getting on the trout, as I've been struggling a little bit on those, but was fairly sure we could get a couple reds and flounder. The plan was to get to the redfish hole on the outgoing and try to get one a piece and head out towards the inlet on the very last of the outgoing. The sharks had other ideas and it was hard to get a bait past them. We had a blacktip put on a pretty good arial show and the bonnetheads were larger than usual. We finally called last cast after only catching one, to see if Charlie could get one-- and the fishing gods were smiling on us. Charlie landed a good 27 incher. Ran to the inlet and only had a trickle of the outgoing. Charlie got a small red, small trout and small flounder before I got a bite. I was beginning to worry that the bite was over as it slowed down and I hadn't got a nibble. But as the tide turned, the bite picked up and we found some trout holed up where we caught 11, but only two keepers. I needed only a flounder and we both would have our slam. As the tide began to pour in, the flounder bite picked up. We both caught small ones, and then I caught a 19 incher that was pretty fat. As we headed back to the ramp, I suggested we try one more flounder hole and Charlie ended up with a true doormat at 23". If you look at the second picture of Charlie's flounder, you can see that a dolphin or shark or something took a hunk out of his tail. Water temp was 85 degrees and water clarity fair to good. As a few others here have mentioned, I think the trout bite will be outstanding this fall, with plenty of limits. Back at the ramp at noon, all fish released except a few flounders which we donated to a couple of other anglers that were flounder fishing as well.

img_2661.jpg

img_2662.jpg

img_2663.jpg

img_2665.jpg

img_2666.jpg

img_2667.jpg

img_2668a.jpg

img_2670.jpg

img_2671.jpg

img_2672.jpg

gafshr

Man those are some nice fish

Robert 31320

Nice fish! That's mighty fishy looking bank in several of those pictures.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good deal, and thanks for sharing pics!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
y'all need some help eatin those flounders????

Latest posts