Religion is for stupid people

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
But there were bible verses posted in here, admittedly not by you, that states god decides who he wants (paraphrase).
After the cross, the door is open for all that will.

ambush80

That’s where I am. I understand that’s he’s invisible or hidden to those that haven’t found him. I haven’t saw him so I take no offense in someone saying he’s invisible. He’s a spirit without flesh and bones. However, I can see and experience his workings in my and others lives.

I completely understand that. Have you seen the movie Contact?

Israel

BANNED
"If you continue in my word..."

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Walt was a believer like the rest of us. In order for it to be true that we didn't discover God yet then we "Must not have done it right" before. Is that what you want to claim? If you come to that conclusion then you open yourself to the same criticism. I know you're fine with that.
Yet when a famous Atheist finds God later in life and expands on his experience in print they are ostracized and expelled from the circle of non-believers, labelled as mentally unstable or quacks. Funny how it never works the other way around.

Israel

BANNED
I completely understand that. Have you seen the movie Contact?

!

Something, right...what she experienced? "In a moment...in the twinkling of an eye".

Israel

BANNED
Walt was a believer like the rest of us. In order for it to be true that we didn't discover God yet then we "Must not have done it right" before. Is that what you want to claim? If you come to that conclusion then you open yourself to the same criticism. I know you're fine with that.

How many times would "discovery of God" be necessary to know...that He is discovered? Would one burning bush do it? If he never showed Himself again...(like that) what does that mean? What obligation is He under to prove Himself, if once is not...enough?

How many "onces" is enough?

I won't embed this because of some language...but I believe grown-ups can handle it.

Oops...had a bit of a problem. You Tube..."The Sunset Limited"..."ending scene"

Last edited:

WaltL1

No I’m not saying you didn’t do it right. You could have been misled by those that would pervert the Gospel. Some people just stop looking. Doesn’t mean they done anything wrong with the way they searched and where they searched, they just gave up.
Perfect example of the contradiction I mentioned in Ambush's post.
Election.
Misled/stopped looking/gave up.

2 completely opposing concepts.
One (or both) aint right.

ambush80

Yet when a famous Atheist finds God later in life and expands on his experience in print they are ostracized and expelled from the circle of non-believers, labelled as mentally unstable or quacks. Funny how it never works the other way around.

Where? On Twitter? Look at some debates between public atheists and the Born Again. It's nothing but civil.

ambush80

!

Something, right...what she experienced? "In a moment...in the twinkling of an eye".

Build the thing again and let someone else try. If nothing happens then that says something. If something happens then that says something, too.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Perfect example of the contradiction I mentioned in Ambush's post.
Election.
Misled/stopped looking/gave up.

2 completely opposing concepts.
One (or both) aint right.
I lean more towards a people problem rather than a concept problem. If it was the concept, so many that share the same experience would not do so.

WaltL1

Although I don't think he was a famous Atheist we had a member here convert right before our very eyes.
He wasn't ostracized, expelled or labeled as anything. He was welcome then and is welcome now.

WaltL1

I lean more towards a people problem rather than a concept problem. If it was the concept, so many that share the same experience would not do so.
The concept of Election doesn't give me a choice or need to find, look, be misled or give up.Those are things that "I" do. Nothing I do impacts Election..
So didn't find, gave up, was misled are NOT legitimate.
Or Election isn't.
Its one or the other.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The concept of Election doesn't give me a choice or need to find, look, be misled or give up.Those are things that "I" do. Nothing I do impacts Election..
Or Election isn't.
Its one or the other.
I get what you’re saying. I think it may be the way I’m looking at “elect”

When I think of the elect, or “his”, it’s those that chose to follow, not those that he chose.

I don’t believe he chose me over you, I chose to follow, if that makes sense?

Israel

BANNED
Or Election isn't.
Its one or the other.

So...!

Israel

BANNED
Build the thing again and let someone else try. If nothing happens then that says something. If something happens then that says something, too.

Yes!

ambush80

You really have no clue how dismissive and condescending your posts are, do you?

Research the life of Anthony Flew.

I suppose I don't know. It doesn't feel like I'm being dismissive and condescending. I can be, if you want to see what that REALLY looks like. I'd prefer not to though. Maybe you can show me an example of something I say that's condescending and dismissive.

furtaker

Just curious, do you atheists ever get on other forms or websites debating the existence of Allah and other gods, or is it only the Christian God that offends you and upsets you?

ambush80

Just curious, do you atheists ever get on other forms or websites debating the existence of Allah and other gods, or is it only the Christian God that offends you and upsets you?

I don't. The only other forum I go to (rarely) is Sam Harris' forum. If there were any Hindus or Muslims here I would tell them why I think their beliefs are poorly founded as well. We just happen to live in a mostly Christian country and that's who we have to discuss with. I don't like most things about all religions. I like a few things about most of them.