Rem 700 223 bolt action for deer ...whats your experiences

coolbreezeroho

Does anyone hunt with a Rem 700 233 bolt action. If so what success and failures have you had? Thinking about getting a rem 700 in 223 rem. A friend has two of them. Nice looking rifles. Wood stocks with the black tips on them. One is an ADL and the other is a BDL. Both had scopes on them.

Liberty

Does anyone hunt with a Rem 700 233 bolt action. If so what success and failures have you had? Thinking about getting a rem 700 in 223 rem. A friend has two of them. Nice looking rifles. Wood stocks with the black tips on them. One is an ADL and the other is a BDL. Both had scopes on them.
I’d be more concerned with the rifle’s twist rate than the make of the rifle. If you want to shoot heavier conventional or copper bullets most appropriate for deer, a 1 in 9 or faster twist would be required. Most bolt action 22 caliber bolt action rifles that I’ve seen had slow twist varmint barrels. For the price of a new BDL, you could get a match ar that would shoot with a quality bolt gun.

Lilly001

A close friend of mine uses a .223 for deer.
Federal Fusion ammo works well for him.
While not ideal, that caliber will kill Ga deer, and the 700 is a fine rifle.

Mars

There is a thread on the rokslide forum hundreds of pages long about hunting with a 223. Most of the posts are positive. Guys are even having good success on elk and mule deer. Most ar using 77gr match bullets if I remember correctly.

Most importantly, shot placement.

transfixer

I have not hunted with a .223, one of my friends did a few years back, using 69gr hp's , shot placement is critical as mentioned earlier, as to twist rate for the barrel I would want at least 1 in 8 , 1 in 7 would be better for the bullets you'd want to use , I'd want 69 to 77gr projectiles if I were going to use it,, and some placement is still critical, not an ideal choice for deer

earlthegoat2

I have shot several with my 1:7 twist AR using Barnes 62 gr TTSX

That or some similar heavy premium bullet that only really work from the 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrels is all I would use.

I don’t use that much anymore because I don’t like waiting for the perfect shot these days.

Whenever I about a 223 or 243 wounding deer I think to myself that I have phenomenal results with my 450 Bushmaster or 300 Win Mag…..or 270, 44 Mag, shotgun slugs, 350 Legend, 303 Brit, 7.62x54R….

See how many good options there are? That is only about 1/1000th of them too.

across the river

why would you take a chance wounding a deer go with a real caliber
Based on the number of “Made a perfect hit but I need a dog” threads I see on here each year, the “real calibers”, as you call them, aren’t idiot prof either. A .22-250, .223, .243 are all plenty capable of killing a deer and I have seen plenty fall to each. I know an older guy that hunts almost exclusively with a .22-250 on primarily open fields or food plots and I am not aware of one he has shot with it that he has lost. I know another guy that looses deer it seems every year and he shoots “real calibers.” If you want one gun to hunt all situations, I would agree that a .223 is probably not the best choice. However, I no doubt think shot placement is the key regardless. You give me a capable guy who will wait on the proper shot with a .223 and I will take him every day of the week over buck fever Billy with a 7mag. If he wants to get one to hunt food plots or whatever, I don’t see an issue. If you are going to be hunting in the middle of a swamp or clearcut thicket, then I agree a “real caliber” is probably a better choice if you need it down quickly. It is common sense, which isn’t so common anymore.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Whenever I about a 223 or 243 wounding deer I think to myself that I have phenomenal results with my 450 Bushmaster or 300 Win Mag…..or 270, 44 Mag, shotgun slugs, 350 Legend, 303 Brit, 7.62x54R….

See how many good options there are? That is only about 1/1000th of them too.

Don't be harshin' on 243Win. I've killed stack and stacks of them with my Remington Model 7 in 243. Never had one run more than 50 feet.

Latest posts