SYNTHETIC STOCK GLAS BEDDING QUESTIONS

flintlock hunter

Just ran into a problem bedding a Savage Axis synthetic stock. I already bedded a Savage 220 slug gun, and another Axis in 30-06 both very successfully. No trouble with either gun.

The new rifle is new manufacture, 2021 I believe, chambered in 350 Legend but as the 30-06's synthetic stock, the only contact between stock and action is off to one side, and the barrel was pushing on one side of the channel. Not a big deal, the '06 came out beautifully, and the groups reduced noticably.
On the Legend, the release agent, (3 coats, overnight dry), allowed part of the epoxy to "almost" adhere to the action, came off with some elbow grease, but the "blue" came off as well. ALL of the bedding material never stuck to the stock at all. The area was roughed up as with the other two stocks, but it simply wouldn't stick.

Has anyone else run into this? I figure bowling alley wax on the action then the release agent over that should solve the first part, I used wax on a Rem 700 about 40 years ago and the epoxy didn't stick to the waxed area even without a release agent. The Accraglas not adhereing to the stock at all is something new to me.
I plan on trying it again using Duplicolor Acetone to clean the roughed up part of the stock which needs bedding.....any other ideas?

You fellas have helped me out a few times i the past, and it's always helped more than a little bit. So thanks in advance .

(By the way, I did get that "longrange shot on a deer this season, but I took your advice and used the 30-06. High shoulder shot dropped it in it's tracks)

bighonkinjeep

If I was going to tinker an "Axis", This is how I would do it. I'd clean what you've got with denatured alcohol to de-grease and then dremel out the old epoxy from the stock and probably drill a couple of small holes at angles in the area to be bedded to create a mechanical lock between the synthetic stock and the bedding agent. I'd de-grease the stock really good with denatured alcohol once again before even trying to re bed it.
I'm also much more likely to run top the hardware store and grab some JB weld or marine-tex epoxy than to spend the cash on Acragla$$ or other firearm $pecific bedding. Neutral color Kiwi shoe polish makes an excellent release agent and stays in my box of bedding tools and materials.
Good luck

Darkhorse

Big John's got the right of it. A mechanical lock is the key to keeping your bedding tight to the stock. Stock prep is most important. I would use some 100 grit sandpaper and sand it until it's gray and rough then clean that the denatured alcohol. Actually I'd degrease it 2 or 3 times. If I remember correctly the reason paint and bedding compound won't stick is because of the residual oils left in the stock from the manufacturing process.
For the past several years I've been using Accra Gel for that kind of work. It's not runny and stays where you put it. I like it.
I've read that you cannot paint the Tikka synthetic stocks. But I got tired of how slick mine was and decided to try and fix it before buying a new one. I think it's now been 4 seasons since I painted it. There has not been even a hint of peeling. There are marks on the stock from use but the paint has held up perfect. So it can be done.
This is what I used to paint my Tikka stock.

SS850131-1024x768.jpg

flintlock hunter

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of angling drilled holes across each other to form that mechanical lock, and it sounds like it will really help out.
I have Accraglas gel on hand, and it will be my choice for this job. I should have used it first time around!

Heading to the gun room now to get things underway, thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out....

flintlock hunter

That did it guys! The bedding came out perfectly!

Used the wax and then release agent, and stock prep was clearing all the unseen oils from the plastic along with the interlocking drilled holes. Popped apart with loosening the action bolts, and was just a textbook job.

Bighonkin'jeep and Darkhorse, thank you.....and that is a pretty nice paintjob on your Tikka stock!