Remembering Past Relatives and Their Lives.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
This is an excerpt form an article published in the Gainesville Times back in the early 1980's. It refers to my family and their heritage farm back up in Union County.

John William Sosebee was my great great grandfather. His daughter Ella married Harvey Fields and they raised my grandmother on the back side of Shoal Creek in White County. Granny was born in 1903.

THE PREACHER AND SOSEBEE COVE DAYS
The Times, Gainesville, Georgia, Sunday July 10. 1983
James Mathis
(Note: For those not familiar with Sosebee Cove, It is an area above Vogel State Park in Union County, GA Originally Indian territory, It became home to Rachel Wilson Sosebee and the children of William Wade Sosebee, who gave his life in the Wilderness Battle, Spotsylvania County, Virginia in May 1864 during the Civil War. Rachel's parents received this land as a result of the land lottery and passed it on to her and her family. There is a small, overgrown wagon road that began as an animal trail. This was followed by the Indians and finally became a wagon trail. A sixteen by twenty foot log cabin stood off to the left of the road. This became home to Rachel and her children: Thomas Andrew Sosebee, John William Sosebee, Laura (or Lula} Sosebee and Alonzo Sosebee. (Sosebee Cove received its name from this family.}
The west fork of Wolfe Creek Is born high up on the sides of Yellow Mountain and Wildcat Knob. There, underneath boulders and rock face, cold streams rise from deep within the earth. From these tiny rings rlverlets are formed. Coming together on the mountainside, they give life to Wolfe creek.
The creek flows through Sosebee Cove singing, dancing and talking as it tumbles along. Now and then It dashes over large rocks forming swirling trout ponds where the rainbow lives. Along its way, it bathes the feet of the rhododendron, laurel, basswood, and wild hydrangea. The west fork of Wolfe creek leaves Sosebee Cove and joins the main branch In Choestoe. From there it meanders through hills and valleys to the Nottely River. The Nottely then joins the Hiawassee and later united With the Tennessee and finally the Mississippi.
By watching closely on the sand and gravel. a person may be able to see a speck of gold or a rock that Is ruby red. Cherokee Indians hunted here with bow and arrow long before the white man came. Legend says they fought their enemy, the Creek Indians on Blood and Slaughter Mountains until Wolfe Creek ran red with their blood. Attesting to those great battles, the galax to this day is crimson on these heights.
The preacher was the first to tell us of Sosebee cove. With his tender voice and spirit clean, he read us a story he had penned. A touching story of a poor mountain boy who had saved his pennies to buy a pair of gloves as a Christmas present for his widowed mother. At the marketplace far from his home in the cove, the boy saw one more destitute than he.
Having given his money away, the sad little boy sought comfort and warmth in a large church. As he gazed at the Christmas tree. the Great Spirit intervened end the gloves for his mother became more than a dream. He loves Sosebee Cove and Wolfe Creek, thot man of God. He can name the flowers, the bee balm, Sundrop, Indian turnip, Dutchman's britches and more. He knows the fem and moss. The hemlock, buckeye and oak.
The other night as we camped by Wolfe Creek in Sosebee Cove. The dying embers of our campfire glowed like a wild catamount on the prowl. As we gazed at the fire and drained the last of the coffee from our cups. we remembered our friend and the stories he had told. We thought of the blessings he had been as he spoke of the Master who can save all men.
Our preacher friend ls as strong as the mountains around. Yet his life Is as fresh as the waters in the creek and colorful as the azalea on Duncan Ridge. Among men he stands as tall as the towering poplar at the base of Peaky Top. He is a builder, this preacher man, and rock and mortar attest to his hand.
Our conversation and thoughts are interrupted as a whipporwill calls from on high on Coosa Bald. As we listen, we can hear the fox and hound as they run deep in Reece's Wood. No man need be reminded here In Sosebee Cove that the towering forest and animals therein are surely made by the Master's hand.
To another cove goes our preacher man to tell others of salvation end grace. The tears of departure will dry as the dew on the leaf. But those whose minds run like the hounds in the night can always find peace for the morrow because of his life. We wish you good speed, dear man, as you go preach in that new place. May the Great Spirit be your companion by day and peace be in all your dreams.
And when the mind is tired and drawn, go listen to what the Wolfe waters say as they flow through Sosebee Cove.
(This article was dedicated to the Reverend Jim Thompson, former minister of the First Methodist Church in Gainesville, Ga.)

Big7

The Oracle
Yep.. I love to hear stories about old folks and the past.

Mama's side lived in England. I didn't know my Grandparents on that well. My Grandmother on that side seen me one time. She died young with heart disease. My Grandfather on that side lived to be 88.
He came to the states maybe 8-10 times. He was a jolly old soul, for real. ?

On Daddy's side, my Grandfather died in 66'. I was 3 years old. Don't remember him at all.

My Daddy passed away in January of 2017.
He had a good blood- line. Smoking killed him just 3 months shy of 78.

My Grandmother on this side died in 2000.
Two months shy of 93. She was born in 1908. She always said Nineteen- eight. Left the rest off.? We were very, very close.

I got to cook. I'll come back with "the rest of the story" ?

Oldstick

Yes, VERY interesting to learn about one's family history. Thanks to my relatives documenting it, I discovered that my paternal great grandparents also lived up there in North GA. I think around the Elijay area if I recall. Evidently my great granddad was in the Civil War then some type of local judge and a state representative after that.

They even claim to have traced back to my 6th great grandparents, where a Revolutionary captain with my same last name was married to a niece of Daniel Boone. I'm not so sure on that one however. It is very hard to definitely verify that far back, with the way records were kept. So many folks had multiple spouses due to shorter lives and they had 5+ kids with each spouse.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Below is a picture of my Grandfather's brother, Uncle Billy Royal's monument in Mystic Georgia. He had great all night Gospel singing in Mystic and they carried on after his death. Been to a few of them back in the day.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Good stuff!

Love that ol Family history.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Below is a picture of my Grandfather's brother, Uncle Billy Royal's monument in Mystic Georgia. He had great all night Gospel singing in Mystic and they carried on after his death. Been to a few of them back in the day.
Boss!!! I went to those sings too, growing up!!!:eek:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
This is an excerpt form an article published in the Gainesville Times back in the early 1980's. It refers to my family and their heritage farm back up in Union County.

John William Sosebee was my great great grandfather. His daughter Ella married Harvey Fields and they raised my grandmother on the back side of Shoal Creek in White County. Granny was born in 1903.

I thoroughly enjoyed that. A good read and well written. I love reading about the old folks. Those were better type of people from what was a better time in a lot of ways.

whitetailfreak

Here is a picture of my grandfather (Gene Laney), Jack Brooks, and Roby Mclure at the Spence Field "On Top Of The Smokies" during pre GSMNP days. Of all my pics of him this is one of my favorites.
FOTO_20191019_072249.jpg

Last edited: