Repair Barrel Bulge?

I have a Beretta Silver Snipe O/U 12GA (circa 1960s / Italy) I have had since I was a kid (my first shotgun) that has a barrel bulge on top barrel right at beginning of barrel. It has a hairline crack to about 1/8 of an inch thinner than a hair (do not know if all the way through or even how deep).

Is it repairable?

I can post a pic or two if that will help determine.

I retired it when discovered crack about 10 years ago but would love to use it again if possible!!!

Thanks in advance

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Hang it up,

You do not want any part of a exploding gun. I know from experience.

Firearms 006.jpg

Depending on make it could be a simple fix of dropping in a new set from a donor parts gun or it may require hand fitting as many doubles are still hand fitted.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Breech end or muzzle end?

If the muzzle, saw off the damage and drive on..

If the breech end, it's done. Wouldn't be worth having custom work done on it.

Bobby Bigtime

Kingston, numrich has a complete barrel assembly for 243.00 The one in stock is a 20 gauge which I was told should work with your frame and barrels from other models in 12 gauge should as well. The folks there are very helpful.

Last edited:
Kingston, numrich has a complete barrel assembly for 243.00 The one in stock is a 20 gauge which I was told should work with your frame and barrels from other models in 12 gauge should as well. The folks there are very helpful.
I am going to get in touch with them - for $250 + I would like to put the 'ol gal back in service. Actually as a 20GA would be appealing!!! Thanks!!

rosewood

Why not give Beretta a call and see what they have to say about it. Never know, they might do something for you. Worse thing they can do is tell you to pound sand.

Mossberg replaced a barrel for me on a 935 that I bought used and was far out of warranty.

Rosewood

Hillbilly stalker

I would have either Beretta or a gunsmith I REALLY trust inspect the receiver end. There might have be a hairline crack you cannot see with your naked eye…..5 shots later you might find out the hard way.

Bobby Bigtime

Why not give Beretta a call and see what they have to say about it. Never know, they might do something for you. Worse thing they can do is tell you to pound sand.

Mossberg replaced a barrel for me on a 935 that I bought used and was far out of warranty.

Rosewood
I have dealt with beretta before. If a model is discontinued you are on your own

Big7

The Oracle
And, if it's as nostalgic to you as it would be me- yes, most anything can be fixed.

My .410 passed to me by my Dad and Uncle just plain wore out.

Me: Can you fix it?

Gunsmith at Franklin's: (yeah, I know)
It ain't worth what it cost to fix.

Me: I didn't ask you how much it was worth, I asked "can you fix it".

Still shooting it pretty regular and plan on leaving it to my Nephews.

And... A pic would help.

weagle

The best (and only practical way) to keep shooting it, get some subgauge tubes. The current barrels then act as carrier barrels only. 20ga tubes with chokes would actually make it a more useful field gun than it's original configuration.