REVIEW: New Shooting Range @ Cedar Creek WMA

oldfatbubba

While taking a break from opening day hunting, my buddy and I had the opportunity to check out the brand new shooting range on Cedar Creek WMA. The range opened on October 14th and is located on the west side Bradley road about 3 miles south of Highway 212. It is NOT shown on the WMA map currently available through the DRN site however the entrance is well marked and clearly visible from the road.

It's configured for rifles with 50 and 100 yard stations, 10 in total, with a concrete walkway leading out to the target lines. The shooting tables are extremely sturdy and provide plenty of room for a shooter to spread out. The swivel chairs on the firing line are a bit awkward but usable.

The range master a nice, old gentleman named Donald who is knowledgeable in reloading and milsurp weapons. He's engaging and is willing to share his favorite load for his Enfield No. 4. He keeps a limited supply of eye and ear protection, if needed.

We all know that government agency budgets are thin so it's really nice to see the DNR investing in a project like this.

edit: the coordinates are: lat: 33.206292 long: -83.513127

range1.jpg

range2.jpg

range3.jpg

range5.jpg

range6.jpg

Last edited:

MadDawg51

Thanks for the information. I'm glad they are still spending a little to support shooting and hunting. I'm a bit surprised that they built it so close to Charlie Elliott range. But, it may take some pressure off that range and make both of them better.

oldfatbubba

I'm a bit surprised that they built it so close to Charlie Elliott range.

I have to agree, MadDawg. Before this one was opened, there were already 4 other public ranges in Zone 4: Charlie Elliott, Big Lazer Creek, Ocmulgee, and West Point. Charlie Elliott doesn't seem to be well utilized so this location does seems a bit odd. To me, it would have made more sense to put the new range in Zone 2 or Zone 3. The only range in Zone 3 at Wilson Shoals WMA is only 75 yards long and is usually packed all weekend with folks from Atlanta like myself.

Maybe someone can answer this for me? Is this new range the only state range to utilize a range officer? The reason for asking is I abandoned the state range above Calhoun because there were too many 'crazies' out there with dangerous gun handling habits. It sure would be nice to see range officers at all the state ranges.

maggie

I just called 4788256354 in Ft Valley, area Ranger, no names given, said hours would be 10-6, Th--Sun. Does this match when you were there ? YMMV........