Rifle shooting low

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
How, How, HA, How,How,How does a rifle barrel bend enough to change POI that much without noticing the event which bent the barrel?
Without it being run over, falling out of a stand, using it as a jackhandle, war club or suspecting someone else deviously bending it without my knowledge..I could never trust it to ever use it again. The metal has to be compromised somewhere even if nowhere else but in my mind.
I would rebarrel that puppy in an instant.

WishboneW

Seems like someone, somewhere could properly heat a bent rifle barrel, correct it, cool it, and have it fixed. It might act the fool it were to be fired repeatedly and get super hot? Seems like a cold “corrected” barrel would forever start drifting when it was warmed up with any repeated firing. I’m not a gunsmith or professional metal fabricator though…
There will always be questions and what ifs regarding the barrel. At least if it starts losing elevation I will know what it is and will have it rebarreled at that time.

Reactions: Dub
The way it is now its not cost you much. You gain much knowledge about the gun now. You have nothing to loose and the only thing that may need done in the future is a rebarrel. It was a cheap repair and if it gives you another few years it was worth it my opinion. Interesting thread as mentioned. If money wasnt much of a factor and it being the end of season soon. I would have went on and just had it rebarreled why the man had it. Since you have another rifle to hunt with .

WishboneW

The way it is now its not cost you much. You gain much knowledge about the gun now. You have nothing to loose and the only thing that may need done in the future is a rebarrel. It was a cheap repair and if it gives you another few years it was worth it my opinion. Interesting thread as mentioned. If money wasnt much of a factor and it being the end of season soon. I would have went on and just had it rebarreled why the man had it. Since you have another rifle to hunt with .
My thoughts as well.

Over the years I have thought about having it rebarrelled to 7 08 but have never acted on it. I would check with Ruger custom shop if I went that route. I would trust Bob. He is very meticulous

menhadenman

I couldn't help but wonder if that barrel now had a bit of a kink in it, and might fail violently...

I will say that this has been an interesting thread...
You’re making me nervous about my marriage bro :LOL: … I did the same vice trick about a dozen times.

Speaking of, I was thinking of selling my Ruger Hawkeye anyhow. Never cared for control feed no how.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Yeah, I should have been more clear in saying that the majority of hunting scopes that the majority of hunters buy don't have that range of adjustment. I was oversimplifying it I guess.

I really missed saying my own point which is that 10yds is an awful range to try to fix a problem where a bullet is hitting any more than almost dead on while taking into account the height difference of the scope vs bore.
you did a far better job than I attempted to do in the one I posted. Many true 30mm tubes will probably have erectors that will travel 75-80 MOA from top to bottom.
My thoughts as well.

Over the years I have thought about having it rebarrelled to 7 08 but have never acted on it. I would check with Ruger custom shop if I went that route. I would trust Bob. He is very meticulous
Ruger will only be able to put it back like it left the factory. There would be a lot of paperwork involved for them if they changed the caliber. You could have it change easier locally or in GA.

WishboneW

you did a far better job than I attempted to do in the one I posted. Many true 30mm tubes will probably have erectors that will travel 75-80 MOA from top to bottom.

Ruger will only be able to put it back like it left the factory. There would be a lot of paperwork involved for them if they changed the caliber. You could have it change easier locally or in GA.
I am not likely to rebarrel unless necessary as cost and ammunition or components to load for 7 08 are not as available as 308.

I am going to continue looking for an acceptable thread protector

Dub

I am not likely to rebarrel unless necessary as cost and ammunition or components to load for 7 08 are not as available as 308.

I am going to continue looking for an acceptable thread protector

I certainly understand this.

Last time I looked into a the cost of having a new barrel installed in my older M700 ….I shelved the idea for a rainy day.

rosewood

Just buy Savages and you can rebarrel yourself for <$300 with one of the Shaw Kits from Eabco. :) You can spend more money if you want a nicer barrel.

Rosewood

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I would rather spend the $$ on a CMP Garand
I highly recommend this. Pretty neat all around, from the gun-buying experience to the rifle itself. (y)

ETA: And I'd have no qualms whatsoever about shooting a bent-back barrel until the rifling is shot out.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

Seems like someone, somewhere could properly heat a bent rifle barrel, correct it, cool it, and have it fixed. It might act the fool it were to be fired repeatedly and get super hot? Seems like a cold “corrected” barrel would forever start drifting when it was warmed up with any repeated firing. I’m not a gunsmith or professional metal fabricator though…
That gunsmith did it the absolutely correct, time proven method of bending a barrel. For hundreds of years smooth bore flintlocks were sighted in this way, still are today, mostly using a forked tree.
Heating a barrel in one spot and bending might seem a good way but you take too much of a chance of softning the metal in one spot if done this way. Then you have an unsafe situation for sure. Also as the barrel heated up by shooting your bullets would start impacting all over.
As for knowing if the barrel is really straight after bending, Checking by looking down the barrel still won't show the true state of the barrel. But anyone with a dial indicator and a lathe can check straightness within .0000" of an inch (10 thousand'ths). And by using the proper equiptment the barrel can be "clocked" to check all sides against the other.
In my previous trade I have straightend a lot of metal. More recently the lock plates when tuning the locks for muzzleloaders. But still I'd probably opt. for a new barrel if it was mine.

Last edited:

rosewood

I am really not up for a rebarrel right now.

I would rather spend the $$ on a CMP Garand
That wasn't directed at you. Was picking at those others talking about the cost of rebarrelling.

rosewood

No offense taken, I welcome all comments.

I’d still like a Garand
Me too. I have eyeballed the Garand and a M1A for decades and have never convinced myself to spend that much money on another gun.

In about 2001, I had the funds and chose an Armalite AR-10 over a M1A. Haven't appropriated that much for a gun since. Now if ran across a ridiculously good deal, I would scoop up either a Garand or M1A.

Rosewood