Rifle shooting low

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It is the only Ruger rifle I own. I agree with you. I believe it to be a mechanical issue with a rifle component. Rings and mounts are integral, tight, and only the upper piece of the rings have been off the rifle since I purchased it.

I am thinking bent barrel. Aiming at the top of the target with the elevation maxed out the 2 holes are POI @ 10 yards. The 3 rd hole is where I backed off elevation to ascertain the scope did adjust. Not 2 feet low but pretty significant
So when you said that it was shooting 2 feet low at 10yds, it was really about 10in low (if that is the target pic you were referencing) at 10yds and you were using an exaggerated number for conversation sake?

rosewood

I watched a video on how to straighten a bent shotgun barrel. Pretty common to fix. I bought a Savage Model 94 in .410 and it was bent. You hit it with a rubber mallet in the middle of the bend (IIRC) while holding the gun in your hand. The momentum of the gun and mallet straightens it out. Turned out pretty good and patterns great. Shotguns are very imprecise tools.

I do not think that method would be very effective on a rifled bore.

Rosewood

killerv

I watched a video on how to straighten a bent shotgun barrel. Pretty common to fix. I bought a Savage Model 94 in .410 and it was bent. You hit it with a rubber mallet in the middle of the bend (IIRC) while holding the gun in your hand. The momentum of the gun and mallet straightens it out. Turned out pretty good and patterns great. Shotguns are very imprecise tools.

Rosewood
I put my m1 benelli 20ga in a tree fork and did it after all the drop/cast shims wouldn't correct it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
When I was a kid. Shot a old 22 then and that was over 50 years ago. Sighted at 40 open sights. Then shot closer. Way off. Soon my inspection as a kid seen barrel bent. Tried to bend back. Did ok. But never just right. I was only 8 or 9. Went back to my other older 22 single shot. At that age I was allowed by my family to hunt. Shoot sight in. As now we had no neighbors.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !

Rosewood
I watched Randy Selby (AKA "The Real Gunsmith" on YouTube) apply the same principle to a rifle barrel in a video, except he beat it over a log. He puts it on a lathe to see the run-out, and you can visually see the difference in before & after. He said that was the 11th barrel he's done and that it works quite well.

It surprised the heck out of me to see such an apparently primitive technique, but I've got no grounds to doubt the man, and like others have said, the metal does have a "memory."

WishboneW

So when you said that it was shooting 2 feet low at 10yds, it was really about 10in low (if that is the target pic you were referencing) at 10yds and you were using an exaggerated number for conversation sake?
With the elevation completely maxed out.

You are correct

bullgator

Curtis Wilbanks did 2 shotguns for me early 2000’s which both work well today

I suspect it depends on how much bend.

I will definitely shoot at the range at several distances. Rarely are there shots over 150 yds at my club. If I go to a place where I might shoot that far I take the 30.06.

This gun is my wet weather short range gun
Two shotguns and a rifle!! :hair:. You need to change your name to BarrelBender!.
Now I feel like I just haven’t lived a full life.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
With the elevation completely maxed out.

You are correct
Don't forget that a scope with 1/4" adjustment per click at 100yds needs 4 clicks to move 1 in at 100yds.
To move the same scope 1inch at 10yds, you would need 40 clicks.

10yds needs 10X the adjustment needed at 100yds.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
For examples sake:
A rifle that hits dead center at 10yds but 2 inches low just because of the height of scope in relation to the bore, the scope would need 80 clicks UP to move it those 2 inches.
I don't know of a scope that has that kind of adjustment range.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
the tube would be pretty big to get 80 up and 80 down. AN ATACR has 120MOA 60 up and 60 down and it is in a 34mm tube.
Yeah, I should have been more clear in saying that the majority of hunting scopes that the majority of hunters buy don't have that range of adjustment. I was oversimplifying it I guess.

I really missed saying my own point which is that 10yds is an awful range to try to fix a problem where a bullet is hitting any more than almost dead on while taking into account the height difference of the scope vs bore.

B. White

Bob Simms just called. Bent barrel. Said he straightened it and it is zeroed @ 100 yards.

What I thought.

I don't know Bob, but worked in the area in the mid to late 80s and he had a good reputation then with a lot of folks I talked to, so I would trust him.

Did ya'll have any conversation about how bending and then straightening might affect accuracy down the road vs. replacing? Just curious, since I wouldn't have thought a barrel could be easily bent, so now I'm interested.

The only bent one I personally know of was a 22 owned by my grandpa. There was a black family who did some work for him from time to time and he and let the man borrow a 22. His wife got mad at him one night and tried to club him with it and bent it pretty good.

cowhornedspike

I am having a very difficult time convincing myself that a barrel bent bad enough to shoot that far off at that close of range would not be obvious when the bolt was removed and the bore sighted down. OP said he did this to initially set the scope before shooting (bore sighting of sorts).
Should have been real obvious that you were not looking down a straight hole...seems to me.

WishboneW

Glad you got it straightened out... :bounce:

Ain't nobody ever shot a bolt gun hot enough to bend a barrel, and I've heard of lead sled shooting cracking stocks, breaking scopes, ring/mount screws, and such as that.

But bend a barrel?

I'm very skeptical.

And I am very curious how he put the absolute perfect reverse bend in the barrel to fix it.

Had it been mine and it was bent, a new barrel would have been the answer if I liked the gun well enough...

Just my nickels worth.
Will need to shoot it some to see how it goes.

My 2 shotgun barrels work perfectly now.

WishboneW

I don't know Bob, but worked in the area in the mid to late 80s and he had a good reputation then with a lot of folks I talked to, so I would trust him.

Did ya'll have any conversation about how bending and then straightening might affect accuracy down the road vs. replacing? Just curious, since I wouldn't have thought a barrel could be easily bent, so now I'm interested.

The only bent one I personally know of was a 22 owned by my grandpa. There was a black family who did some work for him from time to time and he and let the man borrow a 22. His wife got mad at him one night and tried to club him with it and bent it pretty good.
I will just have to shoot it some and see.

I did not discuss what might happen in the future

WishboneW

I am having a very difficult time convincing myself that a barrel bent bad enough to shoot that far off at that close of range would not be obvious when the bolt was removed and the bore sighted down. OP said he did this to initially set the scope before shooting (bore sighting of sorts).
Should have been real obvious that you were not looking down a straight hole...seems to me.
Was not obvious to me

WishboneW

Rosewood
He put it in a vise and worked it a little at a time.

I watched GunnDocc (Curtis Wilbanks) do both of mine. He used a vise.

buckpasser

Seems like someone, somewhere could properly heat a bent rifle barrel, correct it, cool it, and have it fixed. It might act the fool it were to be fired repeatedly and get super hot? Seems like a cold “corrected” barrel would forever start drifting when it was warmed up with any repeated firing. I’m not a gunsmith or professional metal fabricator though…