Rifle shooting low

WishboneW

Shoots like it is bent with 2 different scopes.

I did not see anything out of the ordinary when I looked down it to center on target as the first step of bore sighting

WishboneW

I’ve been thinking about this for the last couple of days. Let’s go back to the basics. If the scope is mounted 2” (for arguments sake) above the bore at the proper downward angle, the bullet should immediately start decreasing that 2” gap as the line of flight rises in relation to line of sight. So, at 10 yards I would expect it being a little low depending on the zeroed range, perhaps an inch. Going 2’ in the opposite direction is an indication of a catastrophic occurrence. The barrel would have to have been neglected for years of high volume shooting to be that big an issue……and the OP says it wasn’t neglected. A muzzle crown issue to cause 2’ @10yds should be noticeable to the naked eye and would likely show up as keyholes on the target. I’m assuming the OP is getting round holes indicating a stabilized bullet. We’ve determined the mounts haven’t been reversed to create negative MOA.
So, It could be a bad lot of ammo, or the scope went bad.
I‘d switch to the Zeiss to see if the problem remains the same and re-center the vertical adjustment on the Burris while it’s off. I’d also try a different box of ammo. If that doesn’t start to give you an answer, it might be time to take it out of the stock, remove the scope mounts, and put it all back together to spec.
Zeus’s sent me a new scope. Ammo is my hand loads, 12 left out of a lot of 50. All good. All sound holes no keyholes

WishboneW

I have put a lot of round’s , probably 600 or 700 or so through the barrel. I do use a lead sled with 25 lbs of #5 shot in the tray. Barrel could be bent but I have not noticed it looking thru the bore. Sure looks bent in the picture

menhadenman

I have put a lot of round’s , probably 600 or 700 or so through the barrel. I do use a lead sled with 25 lbs of #5 shot in the tray. Barrel could be bent but I have not noticed it looking thru the bore. Sure looks bent in the picture
I have another dollar says it ain’t bent.

If both scopes were that far off my money is now on the the brake. Someone else called it earlier.

Reactions: Dub

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Have you shot this set up at 10 yards before?
Was it dead on?

It seems strange if it was a bent barrel, it would be bent so precisely the windage would still right on and only the elevation is effected.

Last edited:

WishboneW

Have you shot this set up at 10 yards before?
Was it dead on?

It seems strange if it was a bent barrel, it would be bent so precisely the windage would still right on and only the elevation is effected.
Yes. Did it with the Zeiss I returned to confirm elevation was off before I put the Burris on.

Darkhorse

What did Zeiss find wrong with the scope you returned? It's rare to give someone a new scope but not send any feedback.
As far as shimming the mounts I've done that a time or two. Problem was almost always in the mount though once I found where the tap drill had broken drilling the mount holes. I think as the drill dulled they had continued drilling and each time the bit had run a little farther from coordinates until it finally broke.
I would apply none of these fixes until the rifle was fully checked out a sudden change of 2 inches could be dangerous.

WishboneW

What did Zeiss find wrong with the scope you returned? It's rare to give someone a new scope but not send any feedback.
As far as shimming the mounts I've done that a time or two. Problem was almost always in the mount though once I found where the tap drill had broken drilling the mount holes. I think as the drill dulled they had continued drilling and each time the bit had run a little farther from coordinates until it finally broke.
I would apply none of these fixes until the rifle was fully checked out a sudden change of 2 inches could be dangerous.
Zeiss never said they found a problem. Said they did not work on the older ones. Sent me a new V4 3x12 44 mm black 30mm tube. One I sent them was silver 50 mm 1” tube. Not similar. Said that was as close as they had. I will never buy another Zeiss.
The mounts and rings are Ruger factory, have been on the rifle since 2004along with the scope, and have worked perfectly until this problem arose. I did not mount the new Zeiss because I had a good Burris and did not want to buy new rings.

Same exact problem with the Burris. That is why I think there is a problem with the gun. Shimming the scope may give a zero @ 100 yds but what about other distances?

weagle

There's not enough adjustment in the scope to be off 2 feet at 10 yds. If you can bore sight the scope at 10 yds and it's off by 2 feet then something is happening once you pull the trigger. A bad crown wouldn't do it. You could hit the crown with a file and not be off by 2' at 10 yds. Keep in mind that would be about 20' off at 100 yds. It has to be mechanical: rings, barrel, action etc.

Either the rings are cracked or canted somehow, the action is cracked , the barrel is bent or loose or some other major mechanical issue.

One other thought. Do you have other Ruger rifles? Any way you got the rings mixed up when you were swapping scopes? Mis-matching a low vs med vs high set of rings could cause the problem you have, but you also wouldn't be able to get the scope bore sighted.

WishboneW

There's not enough adjustment in the scope to be off 2 feet at 10 yds. If you can bore sight the scope at 10 yds and it's off by 2 feet then something is happening once you pull the trigger. A bad crown wouldn't do it. You could hit the crown with a file and not be off by 2' at 10 yds. Keep in mind that would be about 20' off at 100 yds. It has to be mechanical: rings, barrel, action etc.

Either the rings are cracked or canted somehow, the action is cracked , the barrel is bent or loose or some other major mechanical issue.

One other thought. Do you have other Ruger rifles? Any way you got the rings mixed up when you were swapping scopes? Mis-matching a low vs med vs high set of rings could cause the problem you have, but you also wouldn't be able to get the scope bore sighted.
It is the only Ruger rifle I own. I agree with you. I believe it to be a mechanical issue with a rifle component. Rings and mounts are integral, tight, and only the upper piece of the rings have been off the rifle since I purchased it.

I am thinking bent barrel. Aiming at the top of the target with the elevation maxed out the 2 holes are POI @ 10 yards. The 3 rd hole is where I backed off elevation to ascertain the scope did adjust. Not 2 feet low but pretty significant

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpeg
    IMG_2819.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

weagle

It is the only Ruger rifle I own. I agree with you. I believe it to be a mechanical issue with a rifle component. Rings and mounts are integral, tight, and only the upper piece of the rings have been off the rifle since I purchased it.

I am thinking bent barrel. Aiming at the top of the target with the elevation maxed out the 2 holes are POI @ 10 yards. The 3 rd hole is where I backed off elevation to ascertain the scope did adjust. Not 2 feet low but pretty significant
In that case I would definitely remove the lower part of the rings from the action and see if anything has become distorted or shifted on the ring / action connection.

basshappy

BANNED
Did the OP mount the scope on a different rifle to confirm if scope works as intended (or not)?