Roadside dinning ?

LTZ25

Any of you older folks remember when on a road trip pulling over at the many roadside tables and eating the meal you took from home with y'all for breakfast/lunch , not many tables around anymore except maybe in the mountains . My wife's family used to do this on every long trip ,I know this has been said but those were the better days . Guys on the BBC were crying about $18.00 Big Mac meal in north part of the country .

Jim Baker

Staff member
I have ate many ham sandwich and hard boiled eggs in the back seat of a '56 Chevy going back and forth visiting aunts and uncles in Fairburn and Austell. it was 8 hours or better back in those days of traveling US 41.

campboy

I’m not as old as some of you but back in the early 80s my family would head to fort Walton beach. Momma would fry a bunch of chicken the night before we left and we’d stop in Montgomery Alabama for lunch at one of them roadside parks with the concrete picnic tables. Sometimes we’d stop in Florala and have lunch by the lake there. I miss that place and those trips

turkeykirk

Did it many times in my youth on family vacations to Florida and the Smokies. Not all the food places like they are now.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
When we went to cheokee we would always stop at the roadside picnic table just above Tallulah Fall on 441.It was a 2 lane road then.
If we were going to PCB we,depending on what time we left,we would have a bucket of chicken on the beach for lunch or stop at Krystal in Columbus Ga. before hitting Phoenix City Ala.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
There was one on hwy 36 across from my farm until 2010

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I remember when I was little, us taking my Granny to see my aunt & family in Winter Haven. About a 4 hour drive. We would stop along the way at a park/rest area & eat a picnic dinner.
My Granny always packed pimento cheese sandwiches. They were the best.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
There is still one on the south side of Baldwin on 441.

specialk

i remember them, we had them in VA on a lot of the divided hwys. most had 2 tables and a trash can, gravel parking....we never used them though.....

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
there's still one of those up here on Hwy 60 just east of Blue Ridge
Yep. Use to be one on blood mountain on the lumpkin side just up from desoto falls; across the highway from a pull off with several picnic tables. They took the pipe out and put a guardrail up in front of the pull off / tables.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think there is one just east of Sylvester on HWY 82.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I'm pretty sure the column for the spring is still there. My paw told me it was put there to cool off the old cars and mules and people so they could make it across the mountain. Before every one had to go so fast.

tr21

Yep. Use to be one on blood mountain on the lumpkin side just up from desoto falls; across the highway from a pull off with several picnic tables. They took the pipe out and put a guardrail up in front of the pull off / tables.
dang shame, you know now they can't get anyone to empty the trash cans or someone dumps the trash out and steals the can. and with the concrete tables they bust them up or if they're wood they either dismantle them or burn them ! sure miss the old days !

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have eaten at a many a roadside rest/picnic area.

Back in the day before airconditioning was the norm in automobiles the summer holidays saw a lot of extra road traffic. My little town and lots of others like it would set up a roadside stop with ice water or lemonaid for travellers

MOTS

Wheeler county has two still, one outside of Glenwood and one outside of Alamo.

Lilly001

Wheeler county has two still, one outside of Glenwood and one outside of Alamo.
I’ve stopped at both of those to nap.
When I was a lad my family would travel from Harrisburg Pa to Pittsburg to visit family over the mountains on route
30. We routinely stopped at the roadside rest tables. My dad was not one to stop at “tourist traps” to eat.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
They were very common west of the Mississippi. There are quite a few still around. These days there’s often a sign that says, “Rest area, no facilities.”