Roadside dinning ?

Duff

Yeah man. My granny had one on the road in her front yard. Lots of folks stopped there to eat. Nothing special about it. Just a wide shoulder/pull off at 2 state hwy intersections

Redbow

Some of the state parks still have picnic tables here in NC.. I have eaten a lot of fried chicken and potato salad on a table beside the road and ham sandwiches and potato chips as well. When we traveled my Mom made up most of our food that we carried in a cooler for eating at a roadside picnic table. Sometimes we did eat breakfast at a restaurant or stopped for a lunch of good ole hot dogs. I miss those days.

There are still a few picnic tables for public use around our area but not many.

LTZ25

Some of the state parks still have picnic tables here in NC.. I have eaten a lot of fried chicken and potato salad on a table beside the road and ham sandwiches and potato chips as well. When we traveled my Mom made up most of our food that we carried in a cooler for eating at a roadside picnic table. Sometimes we did eat breakfast at a restaurant or stopped for a lunch of good ole hot dogs. I miss those days.

There are still a few picnic tables for public use around our area but not many.
Yeah , we would eat our cooked at home hot dogs on the road and they were just plain but I remember then being great . Maybe we would stop and buy some bologna and bread at the grocery store and have that !!!!!! My grand kids would never go for that , until they understand the other thing on the menu was don't eat .

Redbow

Yeah , we would eat our cooked at home hot dogs on the road and they were just plain but I remember then being great . Maybe we would stop and buy some bologna and bread at the grocery store and have that !!!!!! My grand kids would never go for that , until they understand the other thing on the menu was don't eat .
We had our share of bologna but we usually fried it then added a slab of good ole country store hoop cheese the good kind you can't get anymore. I usually washed it down with a Pepsi. (y)

ucfireman

I remember. As a kid we went to the Mtns for the fall leaves. Seemed like a lot of tables and pull off up there.
Loved the boiled peanut guys, they would set up in a little turn off with their big black pot and little wood fire. So much better than the propane cookers.
Never really traveled south or other places.

Tight Lines

Used to do that as a kid a lot. If we didn't eat on the roadside, we ate at Shoney's or Kip's Big Boy as a treat!

We pack food that is healthy for road trips normally, or hit CfA. Typically hit a rest area, with the dogs...

When my whole family did Yellowstone back in '21 we packed coolers of drinks, food, and other beverages and had plenty of roadside picnics. Lot's of long roads with no services out there. Eating in the park at the picnic areas along the Yellowstone watching the monster Cutthroats eat the stoneflies was amazing...big meaty bugs, and big fat fish sipping them...

When I fly fish I pack my lunches or take the camp stove...

SarahFair

And there use to be springs on the side of the road with pipes drove into them for easy access to fresh water.
There's one out here in Walton county off 78 and Mt Vernon Rd
It's not usually mowed around, but it's down there.. There used to be a picnic table out there too, but I cant remember if it still is

crackerdave

There's one out here in Walton county off 78 and Mt Vernon Rd
It's not usually mowed around, but it's down there.. There used to be a picnic table out there too, but I cant remember if it still is
The jungle has probably re-claimed it,like it has my yard.