Roof questions

K80Shooter

It comes down to those who have/like them and those who do not.

Lots of information passed along was heard from someone who knew someone who had this or that happen, so it must be gospel.

I like everyone else have my opinions. There's lots of horror stories about both, shingles and metal.

Choose the one you want and go with that. In our area I would go with Lee's Handywork for metal. He did mine and did it how I wanted it.

MudDucker

Staff member
Might be replacing a shingle roof.
What's the pros/cons of staying with shingles, metal that looks like shingles, or metal???
Heard some say metal interferes with cell service. Thanks

Metal roofs last longer, but yes, they do interfere with cell service.

I put down the ice and water rubber shield under my last metal roof. It quietened it down some.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
And no matter which one you choose have them tear off the old shingles
I’m no roofer but have worked in the construction field some , curious to why tear off the old shingles under tin . My parents have an older home and me and my dad put metal on it about 10 years ago . We left shingles , stripped it and put down the sheets of insulation .

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I’m no roofer but have worked in the construction field some , curious to why tear off the old shingles under tin . My parents have an older home and me and my dad put metal on it about 10 years ago . We left shingles , stripped it and put down the sheets of insulation .
Weight and heat build up during the summer.You have to use longer screws to attach the stripping.mimimum 4" vs 3" with no shingles.

Last edited:

MudDucker

Staff member

On my shed, I left the shingles and stripped mine as well. It worked fine. I did use extra long screws to be sure I got into the decking.

tree cutter 08

You can't really walk on one with the firing strips underneath

Not only do you have to retighten screws, you may have to replace them and then you are stuck with plugging the old hole so you can do a nice new self tap with the new screw. The rubber sealing everything dries out also causing leaks, not just loose screws.

And they fade, and if you need to replace a piece down the road, odds are it wont match
I decked my roof with 5/8 cdx plywood. Laid ice and water shield in the valleys and good synthetic felt. You can square dance up top and no worries as to where you walk. As far as the screws, when you replace, you install new screws in the same holes. They make several sizes and you just bump up a size each time so it bites in the wood good.

killerv

I decked my roof with 5/8 cdx plywood. Laid ice and water shield in the valleys and good synthetic felt. You can square dance up top and no worries as to where you walk. As far as the screws, when you replace, you install new screws in the same holes. They make several sizes and you just bump up a size each time so it bites in the wood good.
I did my shop the same way, well I used the foil backed osb, felted it, and screwed straight in.