Standing seam v. Screw down metal roofing

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
I am about to kick off a house build and would prefer the standing seam, except for the cost.

So my question is how leak prone is your screw down metal roof? How long have you had it? I've read where the screws need to be replaced every so many years, any truth to this?

Jdmb123

Standing seam is definitely better if budget allows. I recognize how much more it costs but the beauty is the hidden fasteners. The only trouble with screw down is when the screws back out later down the road. The panels will still be fine, but you’ll have to replace some screws. Looks like you may be in Fla, so I definitely recommend maxing the product within the budget.

27metalman

Not sure where you are and what the codes in your area may be... Standing seam (floating roof system) far superior to screw down. I've sold lots of both over the years. I know a lot of commercial buildings have screw down roofs, but I just don't like them. I like the look, but on a good sunny / cloudy day, you can hear the expansion and contraction of the panels as clouds pass overhead. Even thought about putting one on my house, but when some relatives of mine did, their cell service inside the house went down significantly. I know they are options to combat that, but still... I went back with a shingle when it was time to replace.

hopper

I'm no roof guy but when the economy tanked I played handyman to some storage facilities. One of their biggest issues was switching out those compression screws because of leaking. I did screw down on my carport and small backyard storage building but wouldn't want it on my house.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Thanks for the info . I realize that standing seam is the better option, but the cost is so high that it is causing us to look at alternatives. Over the years I've had so many problems with shingles that I swore I'd never do that again.

chase870

Possum Sox
I built family dollar stores for awhile, screw down roof panels. Hind site is always 20 / 20. cut cost in another area and go with the standing seam if you plan on keeping the house longer than 5 years.

ol bob

Have screw down on my house, 25 years and no problems, the roof it replaced was 100 years old.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
When I was a contractor putting 5V roofing on I had the crew dimple the ^ and put the screws on the ridge. Obviously longer screws were used. This reduced the risk of water leakage. I watch them put the screws in the flat part now which is easier but when and if the screw backs out there is a bigger chance of water leakage.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
screw down on my house for 22 years, never a leak. I keep hearing about leaking screws and such, but I lathed my roof with 2 x 4 and used 2in screws and have no issues at all.

On my commercial steel building, it was built in 1969, and 4 years ago I had to have some screws replaced and the roof coated with that elastomeric spray. But we got over 40 years out of a screwed down steel on steel roof before anything had to be done to it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We had our metal roof installed in 2015 and it is held on with screws. No issues so far, and it held just fine when Michael paid us a visit and it`s still doing very well.