Somebody help me with this bat problem please!

Paul Cataldo

I need help guys. Maybe I should head over to the spiritual support help forum for this lol.
Seriously though, I’ve constantly got bats in my shop and it’s a very nice shop that I keep clean and uncluttered but every night, one or two bars enter and defecate all over the place directly under where they hang I guess? I thought bats were out prowling at night?
Anyhow, I need a quick and easy solution if there is one.
I don’t have the time right now to go around the entire metal roof soffit line and hang screen (I will eventually) but even that is going to be a questionable solution due to the end profile of the metal panels and the tedious cuts that will be required. I may end up having to just do 2x6 blocking in each rafter bay. Or something to that affect.
Question: I have heard the best solution is to put up a bay house nearby to give them somewhere better to frequent.
Will this actually solve my problem or will that just attract more bats, some of which might inevitably continue using my shop in conjunction with the bat house?
Before anyone suggests spraying peppermint and Clorox bleach etc, I have tried all that and it works great, for about a week and then the smell wears off and they come back. Or they just move to the other side of the shop. I can’t keep spraying that crap and having it rain down all over my tools and other toys I have in there.
If anyone can give me specific advice or suggestions here that would be great.
If a bay house is the answer, then let me know how big or how many and how high off the ground? Mounted to a pole or mounted to a tree? Etc etc.
Thanks for any help guys. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Paul Cataldo

Here are some pics of the roofline and metal. As you can see it would be very difficult to use screen in any way at the metal profile out at the soffit. I’m a remodeler by trade and feel it just isn’t feasible.
As for the inside blocking idea, do you think I should just run blocks up right as I can to the insulation and call it good? These roof trusses are 4’ on center and have the typical metal building type roof insulation. The downside to blocking would be I give up my ledge shelf around perimeter of building (on top of the cinder block wall where trusses sit). I am ok with that if there is no better solution.

Attachments

• 8B83F6ED-E981-428B-851B-25715EBA825A.png
    8B83F6ED-E981-428B-851B-25715EBA825A.png
    927.9 KB · Views: 23
  • EA93AC5E-3BDC-4185-A64F-A526E3090CD3.jpeg
    EA93AC5E-3BDC-4185-A64F-A526E3090CD3.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1CBEBD57-88E6-425F-8EC4-64376D3159A2.jpeg
    1CBEBD57-88E6-425F-8EC4-64376D3159A2.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 5F03A5F3-1D43-4ACC-9F08-C54A875D4927.jpeg
    5F03A5F3-1D43-4ACC-9F08-C54A875D4927.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 23

Big7

The Oracle
Buy some bat houses and hang them under eaves and cornice all around the building and even your house.

They like them better and will go to them pronto.

It's good to have them around. They feed heavily on mosquitoes and other nuisance bugs.

Tractor Supply type places sell them.

Hillbilly stalker

Pretty sure their protected by law. Mite be time for SSS. I wouldn’t put up a bat house, instead of 2-3, you mite end up with a whole colony or whatever their called.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Bats like their house high on a flat sputhern sunny exposure...

Screenshot_20230609_193924_Google.jpg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
There are people who provide services for that kind of problem.
Google Wildlife Removal Service for your area

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Just me, but I wouldn`t put up bat houses because bats love company, lots of company. Them and ten generations of their friends and relatives will show up and not leave. Then you will have some real problems, magnified.

Big7

The Oracle
Just me, but I wouldn`t put up bat houses because bats love company, lots of company. Them and ten generations of their friends and relatives will show up and not leave. Then you will have some real problems, magnified.
I don't have any now but did at my house in Conyers and it worked out well. Had 4 all together. I don't hardly see a bat here but every once in a while they will circle around the street lights catching bugs.

What would the magnified problems be?

Cleaning up doo doo I suppose?

I had a cat one time and he caught one several feet of the ground one time. That was pretty funny. Good ole' Tom Cat. He lived to be 14 and died of breast cancer.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Maybe some of that expanding foam in a can to close up cracks?

I hear bats don’t like wasp spray sprayed in their face

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Yes they’re protected especially when it’s time for them to have young.

That said I hear if you do something, never admit to it, leave no evidence behind, tell no one (that includes your old lady as well as praying about it), and don’t post it on social media it’s kind of hard to prove you did it

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Get some bright LED bulbs and leave them on in the shop at night. Bats want to roost in the dark.
I’ve never heard of this, but by far, if it works, it’d be the easiest thing I can think of to do. LEDs are so cheap, a small bar shining at their spots from inside would be easy and cheap to boot! I’m putting LEDs in my old bass boat just for fun……check online! Downside with the lights are more, other types of bugs, probably. Might need to add a zapper light for them :huh:

Hillbilly stalker

If I used the light trick, I would have it set to where it only burns in the daylight hours. At night, lights draws bugs...bugs draw bats. Be like hanging a feeder up if it burns at night.

Chris 195 7/8 B&C

Been there. You have to seal it or they will be back every year. They make some insulation strips that air will still go through and it’s designed to go under the metal and matches the metals ridges.
once they‘re there, they don’t all leave every night. Good luck, took me a while to finally defeat them.

Latest posts