Glitch in the dnr computer system

Shadow11

This is a first...

I'm at work...just got finished with a job back in the plant... returned to my toolbox to find 3 missed calls on my phone, and a text that said, "this is game warden ____ from dnr, you need to give me a call".

I didn't know what to think. I was afraid something bad happened at my house or something. I snuck off to the back of the shop and called the guy. Luckily my supervisor is cool, and I didn't get in any trouble when he caught me on my phone.

The dnr guy wanted to know how my hunting had been lately. I said, well I killed a doe opening weekend, what's going on? He wanted to know where I killed it, etc. I told him behind my house. He wanted to know address and if it was my property. I told him my stand is right near my property and my mothers.

He said I was missing one of my licenses... He said I had to have 2 licenses, big game and residential hunt. I was missing residential hunt he said. He said if I was on my mom's land he could show up at my house. I told him I was pretty sure my stand is on my property. He said in that case I didn't need the residential license, and he basically gave me a "verbal warning" over the phone. He said my residential license had been expired for 2 years. I said I'm sorry and I will buy it asap.

So, that's what I did. I got on the app and re-bought my licenses. I went back and looked at my old licenses, and my buddy at work got out the magazine, and it said I was all good for another month.

Pic below is my old license

Anyhow, some guys at work got a lil po'd about it as well, and started calling their dnr buddies. Long story short, apparently there is a glitch in the dnr computer system. I kind of thought it was a prank, because I have some leo relatives and friends, but it wasn't.

No hard feelings toward the dnr guy. He's just doing his job..... I guess. I just thought it was kind of weird. I've never heard of such. Kind of like that time earlier this year, when a dnr guy told me I needed to take the 3 trout out of my ice cooler and put them on the same stringer with the other 2 that I had in the river.

Strange times, lol.

Screenshot_2023-10-12-16-06-25.png

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just a question why 3 in cooler and 2 on stringer ?
I was kinda new to trout fishing myself a few years ago . It’s all kinda ridiculous if you ask me . If you and lil man are standing in the stream fishing you both have to have your own stringers also .
Most of these fish are stocked and then caught in a day or 2 . So they are just trying to keep people honest .

buckmanmike

I have never heard of a residential license, but finally figured out you meant resident. With you hunting on residential property, I was confused. If hunting on your land or family land, all you need is a deer harvest record, which is free.
Congrats to you for your early season harvest.

buckpasser

Sounds stupid. If he’s that bored maybe him and a few guys could be transferred over to GSP for traffic work.

We really need to outlaw deer baiting again or just minimize the law enforcement side of DNR down to a true skeleton crew.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Weird. Everything is on my phone. I did notice the legend reference in he magazine says see page 42 and see page 72(I think), but those pages mention nothing about the special or youth hunt.
Not to change subject, but this weekend at Paulding Forest is what appears to be youth, specialty and Bonus hunt….. if it’s a youth hunt, doesn’t that mean just the younger ones?

Shadow11

Weird. Everything is on my phone. I did notice the legend reference in he magazine says see page 42 and see page 72(I think), but those pages mention nothing about the special or youth hunt.
Not to change subject, but this weekend at Paulding Forest is what appears to be youth, specialty and Bonus hunt….. if it’s a youth hunt, doesn’t that mean just the younger ones?
Yeah not sure why it would be on our phone, and not on their computer system. He told me later in a text that there is also a glitch in the harvest system. He said deer are being double tagged or something.

Gbr5pb

Catch a few at one hole, drive up the road to another hole and fish some more. Who wants to carry around dead fish on a stringer in the summer heat? I certainly never met anyone. A lot of ppl I've met will actually gut them on the spot b4 they put them in the ice. Common sense.
Always do that myself! As long as I don’t have 8 I don’t care what he thinks

Shadow11

I have never heard of a residential license, but finally figured out you meant resident. With you hunting on residential property, I was confused. If hunting on your land or family land, all you need is a deer harvest record, which is free.
Congrats to you for your early season harvest.
I might have said it wrong. It's whatever the standard hunting license is called. Resident/residential.... Something like that. I had the combo, which covers resident hunting and fishing. He didn't see it on his end.

Shadow11

Always do that myself! As long as I don’t have 8 I don’t care what he thinks
Exactly. I don't much care for food poisoning myself. The guys that gut em and cut the heads off asap say they taste better. I'm fine with waiting til I get home as long as I know they were kept cold.

It's been an odd yr for me.

1. Game warden tells me I can't keep my fish fresh/safe. (Wrong)

2. Park ranger yells at us from bank that we had to be wearing our life jackets in a 2 man registered boat. (Wrong)

3. Get pulled over for 1 headlight during a partly sunny afternoon. (Wrong)

4. Get called out while at work for not having a valid hunting license that was perfectly fine. (Wrong)

What's next?

Shadow11

So was this call out of the blue, like a phone survey call?
No, it was a 3 times in a row call, with a text that said "you need to call me". It was an "I'm looking to write you a ticket" kind of call.

I thought it was something serious, like someone got hurt on my land, or was caught trespassing, stealing, poaching, etc. Instead it was a call trying to write me a ticket for hunting without a license.... which I already had. He said if my stand was on my mother's land he could show up at my house.

Apparently he was looking through harvest records, and the computer didn't show that I had a hunting license on his end, although I did.

B. White

Good advice HNut

Better yet purchase a lifetime Sportsman license.

This is the best deal out there, but I wouldn't count on it to solve all problems caused by computer system changes over the years. When I bought my lifetime license they could not find my hunter safety course record. This had happened before years earlier, but when I called I got someone on the phone who eventually fixed it where I could buy my license online each year. I finally gave up this time (I guess the guy who knew what to do must have retired) after multiple calls and took it again like I'd never had it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This is the best deal out there, but I wouldn't count on it to solve all problems caused by computer system changes over the years. When I bought my lifetime license they could not find my hunter safety course record. This had happened before years earlier, but when I called I got someone on the phone who eventually fixed it where I could buy my license online each year. I finally gave up this time (I guess the guy who knew what to do must have retired) after multiple calls and took it again like I'd never had it.

Wasn’t a problem for me. I was born before 1960.
Also took the test 4 times with 2 nephews and 2 sons.