"We're Puttin' The Van Back Together..."

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I never had been a van person. My wife and I are adopting our niece's and nephew's so we needed something that would fit everyone. We got blessed with 2001 e350 with only 50,000 miles on it. It ain't purdy but the engine runs like a song. It needs some brake work and air conditioning work right now and my had the idea we should sell it and buy a suburban. At I was ok with that and then realized there ain't no way that we would ever be ok with cramming 7 people in a suburban after we had van room. Plus repairs are way cheaper than buying another vehicle at today's prices

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I never had been a van person. My wife and I are adopting our niece's and nephew's so we needed something that would fit everyone. We got blessed with 2001 e350 with only 50,000 miles on it. It ain't purdy but the engine runs like a song. It needs some brake work and air conditioning work right now and my had the idea we should sell it and buy a suburban. At I was ok with that and then realized there ain't no way that we would ever be ok with cramming 7 people in a suburban after we had van room. Plus repairs are way cheaper than buying another vehicle at today's prices
"Preach..."

Years back our friends with Suburbans marveled at the headroom and space we had for way less dollars.

The E350 of yours is a prize today. Folks are fighting over the nice ones for sale. The new Transit vans don't have anywhere near the weight carrying or towing capacity you have.

God bless y'all for adopting those kids. That van will take you on great adventures and teach them life lessons What motor and rear gear ratio do you have?

Last edited:

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
"Preach..."

Years back our friends with Suburbans marveled at the headroom and space we had for way less dollars.

The E350 of yours is a prize today. Folks are fighting over the nice ones for sale. The new Transit vans don't have anywhere near the weight carrying or towing capacity you have.

God bless y'all for adopting those kids. That van will take you on great adventures and teach them life lessons What motor and rear gear ratio do you have?
It's a 5.4 and the gear is a 3.55. Unfortunately it's just a peg leg though.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
That is awesome! Bring that boy up right. I taught our boys the basics, got them to do brake jobs, oil changes, general stuff but they never caught the interest that I had. We settled on them knowing enough to be able to not get beat when they hired someone to work on their vehicle.

Questions...I have questions. :unsure:

How do you like the switch to Bilstein B6's and did you get RV comfort or standard valved versions? Are those PowerStop rotors and what is your opinion on those?

Your first pic reminds me how badly I need to wire brush and paint my frame rails and components.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
"Lot of that going around..." Wanderr on ExpeditionPortal and Sportsmobileforum had a bigger limb incident just this past month. He had to replace doors, hood, grille radiator cradle, bumper, windshield, and make massive repairs to roof and pillars. All in his driveway.

Amazingly he has saved his home built 4WD conversion van.

basshappy

BANNED
That is awesome! Bring that boy up right. I taught our boys the basics, got them to do brake jobs, oil changes, general stuff but they never caught the interest that I had. We settled on them knowing enough to be able to not get beat when they hired someone to work on their vehicle.

Questions...I have questions. :unsure:

How do you like the switch to Bilstein B6's and did you get RV comfort or standard valved versions? Are those PowerStop rotors and what is your opinion on those?

Your first pic reminds me how badly I need to wire brush and paint my frame rails and components.

I have been trying to include my boy since day 1 home from the hospital. Including him sure slowed down many projects, but he has been my tool man and helper for years and I will happily go at a slower speed to spend that time with him and impart something good upon him. He did his first oil change on our van at age 6. I never did any of this stuff as a kid as my dad was a PhD so all of it is new to me as well. Learning together we are. LOL. Whether he continues with it or not the future will tell, but I am just trying to show him how he can help himself and his family by knowing. Like you said even if your kids don't do it they know it to not be taken for a ride.

Last Thanksgiving our alternator died and we literally coasted into an AutoZone parking lot. Just made it. Last two turns it was thank you Lord no cross traffic nor pedestrians. So he and I did our first alternator swap, and my boy saw first hand how trying to do it yourself first can pay off some times. You just have to try.

20230806_103710.jpg

The Bilstein B6s are awesome up front. Huge difference, but in fairness the old shocks were past done it was bang bang metal the rubber was gone. We had to use zip ties to hold them compressed so we could seat them. They did not come with a strap which was surprising given the price and brand. Until we figured out use zip ties it was an exercise in curse words. Well that and the tiny sliver of space Ford left on the driver side for top nut. LOL. The hole in floorboard was not of help for us, but fortunately my hands are slender so I could slide up in there.

20230806_104156.jpg

Here is the model Bilstein I purchased from RockAuto. We haven't done the rear yet, but that is coming up soon as we are replacing rear rotors very soon.

Screenshot_20230806_100917_Samsung Internet.jpg

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
From a former 15 year autobody guy, you did good. Roof panels have a lot of flex in them, one of the harder “professional” repairs to do.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Wheels and tires are always such a personal choice. The last time I ordered aftermarket wheels was polished Centerlines to fit my small bolt pattern Dart with a 340. That was well over 35 years ago! Ever since then it's been some sort of OEM swap or upgrade.

The van wheel decision has had my stomach in knots with tons of research, measurements and blurry eyes looking at wheel profiles online.

Here's the test fit. I will have to trim the lower plastic valence on the front bumper and get creative to make room for the center cap vs. the hub bearing dust cap but I'll get it worked out.
DSC_0898~2.JPG
DSC_0899.JPG
DSC_0897.JPG
Still almost 2" higher in the rear empty with upgraded springs front and rear. I'm going to wait it out watch for the predicted "settle" and remind myself that I will be towing fairly often and/or loaded with up to 7 people and gear. Likely to leave it as is.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
@normaldave, is it my imagination or did you say you're going to put a different rear end differential in it and get rid of the positraction?
Change yes...different no.

Going from 3.55 to 4.30 and repairing/upgrading the factory Ford limited slip differential using Ford Racing carbon clutch upgrade kit.

Taller tires (+2.5") need lower gearing to restore factory setup. I wanted that and more, since my factory 3.55 with Trak-Lok always left me wanting more gear when towing.

This van being an E-150 came with Ford's 8.8" differential and 5 x 5-1/2 old Ford bolt pattern wheels. As far as differential work, its pretty straightforward on the upgrades. E-250/350 had 8-lug Dana options and beginning in 2008, E-150's basically upgraded to E-250 suspension and got 8 lug axles.

Last edited:

tad1

Very nice rig u got Dave, and great job. They’re working hard to make everything disposable these days.
JT

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Great support from Vision Wheel, worth noting in this day of "customer no service". Corporate office in Decatur, AL.
This is the fix. This cap fits my center cap mount and gives 1.25" depth.
s-l1200~2.jpg

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
This thread brings back memories of "Tough Toys" when they were in Chattanooga. They did a lot of 4x4 van conversions.