Keyless Entry Remote Transmitter

Redbow

Or FOB that most of us now have to gain entry to our vehicles and starting the engine without using a key. The FOB does have a key in it if and when your battery in the FOB dies and you can't get into your vehicle using the FOB.

How about changing the battery in the FOB? Its expensive if you take your vehicle back to the dealer. They charge from 100 to 300 bucks to change the battery inside the FOB, just depending on the dealership. I have heard people complain when they took their vehicles back to the dealer when the FOB would not work about how much it cost them to get the FOB working again. Some evidently were told they got a new FOB but I doubt that the dealership more than likely just changed out the battery in the old one. We are getting robbed unless you can change the battery in the FOB yourself, which we just did this morning when my Wife's Nissan Rogue displayed low battery for the FOB she uses.

My Wife went online and found out how to change the battery in the FOB in a Nissan vehicle yourself. You can do so in no more than one minute if you know how its easy. The battery for both our 2019 Nissan vehicles uses the same battery in the FOB. We already had them on hand, its the same battery I use in my guitar tuners which is a Duracell 2032 it says on the package they are guaranteed for 10 years but who cares they are cheap compared to what a dealership will charge you to change the battery in your FOB or renew your FOB as some dealerships will tell you.

I have no idea if all the FOB transmitters for other vehicles are as easy to change the battery in as the Nissan vehicles but I would make a guess they are mostly similar in doing so. Anyway its worth a shot to save someone a pretty hefty piece of change by changing the battery yourself instead of being skinned by the dealership.

Pull your key out of the FOB and lay it aside. Look at the end of the FOB where you just removed the key and you will see two small slots on each side of it where you just removed the key. Take a small flat headed screwdriver insert it in the slot and gently turn the screwdriver clockwise. Do the same on the other side of the FOB. The case holding the battery will separate into two pieces, you will see the battery which is round resting in the slot that was made for it. Pop the old battery out then replace it with your new battery making sure it seats properly in its slot, snap the case back together replace your key back inside the FOB then make sure the FOB still operates as it should by unlocking your vehicle and making sure the engine will start.

That's all there is to replacing the battery in your FOB with a Nissan. Its good to know I just saved maybe up to 600 bucks by doing the battery change out myself. I wish I could make money like the car stealerships do.

You can Google the information on how to change your FOB battery they show you how to do so.

Last edited:

Redbow

I never knew people where paying for this.

I have had several people tell me they paid for this, and how much they had to pay to get their FOB fixed or renewed. I would imagine it still goes on with many car dealers, though I do not know for sure.

Redbow

You have a guitar tuner??

Several. Its much easier than tuning my guitar by ear, I don't even know anyone who tunes a guitar, mandolin, or banjo by ear anymore.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Always changed my own. ALL have used the same battery, a 2032, and it's really simple to figure out on your own. Can't say that I've ever known anyone to pay a dealer a dollar let alone 200-300 or more, I'm sure somewhere someone has, just to replace the battery in a FOB.

To actually replace the FOB, yes, they ream you but just to replace the battery..................

Redbow

When the right front headlight bulb went out on my 2008 GMC they wanted like 250 bucks just to replace the bulb at the dealership. They said they had to take off part of the grill and part of the fender, blah, blah, blah. No you do not. And no you can't replace the bulb unless you know how the air filter housing is in the way you can't even squeeze your hand in there. I went on you tube, low and behold its a simple process to change the bulb. Take the air intake hose loose from the filter housing and the hose going over to the EFI unit on top of the engine loose and pull it off. Then reach down with both hands and pull up rather firmly with both hands underneath the filter box and it will snap right out of there. Then you can easily change the defective bulb. Replace the bulb then with firm pressure on the air filter housing box it will snap right back into place. Then connect your hoses and your are done, about a 15 minute job. I will do that all day for 250 bucks per bulb replacement. The dealership knew that as well, all they wanted was my money. I wonder how many people got scammed on that one with GM dealerships across this country?

Last edited:

Redbow

Always changed my own. ALL have used the same battery, a 2032, and it's really simple to figure out on your own. Can't say that I've ever known anyone to pay a dealer a dollar let alone 200-300 or more, I'm sure somewhere someone has, just to replace the battery in a FOB.

To actually replace the FOB, yes, they ream you but just to replace the battery..................

And why would the dealership tell anyone that they need a new FOB when its only a defective battery that is the problem?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Some years back Honda took away the consumet's ability to program the key fob on the CRV. They now try to charge big bucks for what used to take the owner about 3 minutes to do. :rolleyes::(:sick::sick::mad:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Several. Its much easier than tuning my guitar by ear, I don't even know anyone who tunes a guitar, mandolin, or banjo by ear anymore.
I can tune by ear, but I use the built in tuner on my amps or the Guitar Tuna app for acoustics. Much quicker.
Sorry to get off topic..

Redbow

I can tune by ear, but I use the built in tuner on my amps or the Guitar Tuna app for acoustics. Much quicker.
Sorry to derail.

No derail at all. And I admit every guitarist should know how to tune his instrument to pitch without electronic help. But with modern day devices that now has mostly happened. Its kinda like when calculators came out, people could not do math on paper anymore. The teacher I had in tech school would make you put your calculator away during a test, I think that was a good thing.

Tight Lines

YouTube is your friend for all things repairs...the first thing I do is YouTube it, then find the part number I need and Google it...normally buy it on Amazon or some other parts place, and replace it myself.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
And why would the dealership tell anyone that they need a new FOB when its only a defective battery that is the problem?
FOB's do go bad. Just like any other electronic device sometimes they need to be replaced.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
YouTube is your friend for all things repairs...the first thing I do is YouTube it, then find the part number I need and Google it...normally buy it on Amazon or some other parts place, and replace it myself.

I have replaced the batters in one car fob and two garage door openers in the last month. 5 minutes each and either 2 or 3 batteries each. $5-6 each fob.

pjciii

I went to Batteries Plus. They change right on the spot for purchasing The battery. I also got an extra FOB from them and it took about a week to get. That was only like 169.00 vs the dealer wanting close to 600.00 because they said factory had to create the key and FOB.

When they got it i would have to bring the car in for it to be programmed. They guy a batteries Plus just went out to the car and synced it at no extra charge. They also give you lifetime battery replacement for FOB.

GeorgiaBob

First time the battery died on the key fob for my Ford, I went to the dealer because I couldn't figure out how to open the fob and didn't want to break it. I admit, I didn't think of looking up instructions in the internet! The service manager took out his pocket knife, showed me how to peel open the plastic shell, then replaced the battery and put it back together - no charge. And the battery was free too.