Ruger No 1 goodness

pacecars

After missing the Ruger on auction the other day the seller said he had another one without the ammo that he was going to list that he offered to me. I couldn’t resist and bought a Ruger No 1 in 450/400 NE. I guess I need to book an Elephant hunt soon! Now to gather ammo and reloading supplies and decide on a low power scope with good eye relief!

Lilly001

I have the same gun in .375 H&H.
I have a 1-4 Nikon Monarch on it.
It shoots great, but I seldom get it out of the safe.

GregoryB.

That’s nice. Have been looking for one in 300 H&H. Every time I have money there are not any for sale and once I spend my money another one pops up.

pacecars

I would love to have a .300 H&H and a .404 Jeffrey in a No 1 but those seem to be out of my meager price range. I am getting this one at a LOT less than they go for and for that matter a lot less than any of these usually go for.

specialk

Got one in .223, sons first real deer rifle...killed several before going to .308 bolt gun...

Wire Nut

I’ve got a few. My favorite rifle. Of the ones I have my favorite is either in 45-70 or RSI 270

pacecars

I am thinking I might replace the factory pad with a Pachmayer red pad with a little more cushion. I won’t alter the stock and I’ll save the original pad

I collect them, I have that rifle. You'll likely get more. I replace the pads (no need to cut the stock!) on ones I want to hunt with, with red medium grind-to-fit decelerator pads, and replace the front brass bead with a white one. Congrats!

pacecars

The rifle should be here this week! I picked up a Bushnell 4500 30mm 1-4X scope, the Alaska Arms QD rings I ordered should be here by Tuesday and the Decelerator red pad should be here tomorrow. A quick trip to the gunsmith to fit the pad and hopefully I will be able to get out and shoot it. I also have dies and brass on the way. I still have to find some bullets and a cast bullet mold to order. I may have to bite the bullet and buy some EXPENSIVE factory ammo. I had a cervical fusion surgery a week ago so I will check with my surgeon at the follow up to make sure I am good to go on the big boomers! I still have 6 or 7 guns I haven’t been able to shoot because of the back issues! Might be a busy range weekend coming up!

sleepr71

If you’re only a week out from a Neck Fusion…don’t even think about shooting a rifle..esp. a BIG rifle.;) Most surgeons don’t even want you riding in a car that soon. Good way to dislodge the hardware(screws/plates) & break any bone growth that has started.

pacecars

Yeah, I am waiting and it is killing me

Darkhorse

I like the Limbsaver Airtech prefit pads. The one that fits the No.1 is #10800. I have one on my 7mm Mag and one on my Tikka .308 All you do is screw it on. But I would still check it against thier template.
These are the best pads I have ever used. After shooting my 7mag. a dozen times my shoulder was getting a little touchy, after installing the limbsaver I can shoot it well over 40 shots in a session and more if I want too.
Go to the limbsaver website and check them out.

fauxferret

Got a good deal there. Honestly one of the more moderate medium bore cartridges out there. Just sucks trying to find ammo or components. If you can find one they Leupold use to have a 1.5-5 i think german crosshair scope that was perfect for a dangerous game rifle.

pacecars

Went to the follow up and he told me at least a few more weeks on the big boomers to be safe

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think I have only shot 2 of them so far. I can't remember what caliber the first one was...but the last was a .458 Lott...I don't need one of those....I might like a .416 Rigby. There are too many in the safes now that just get wiped down.