Saint George Island SP *Warning*

Greene728

We arrived home from our annual week at SGI Saturday, and overall a very good trip. If any of you all have ever followed my posts here you already know we love this place and have been numerous times. But this year the mosquitoes were horrendous! I'm talking SAVAGES! We have always been prone for a few bites here and there and that's expected on a coastal barrier island in the summer months. We pre-sprayed the sites with repellent before backing in and every couple days, used bug spray all week as well as citronella candles and lamps . During the day it was acceptable. Come the late evening and after dark it was unbearable. And forget walking to the bay without a couple pints of blood on hand, spray or not. They were even on the beaches in the afternoons which we have never encountered. So if anyone is planning on headed down in the near future, be forewarned! lol

RobRay

Thanks for the report. We stay in Dec - Feb for a month. No sciters just fleas and sand spers. And yes we do love the Island life.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I heard the same thing from some other folks. It has always been my idea that once it gets dark down there, you best be inside.

countryboy27012

In Carrabelle just up the road; the skeeters weren't bad this year, but the yellow flies would carry you off! Killed a dozen or so while letting the kids play on the playground for about 10 minutes.

farmerd

We was at SGI last week and the mosquitoes were horrendous. Only made it to the bay twice, I was eaten alive.

95g atl

yikes....!
Thanks for the info.
The yellow flies HURT.
and if there is a mosquito within six miles, it will find me.