SC carry law...

gahunter70

just to prevent confusion I copied this from SLED web site
SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Luke0927

Getting trainig is a great idea and highly recommend when i get the time i want to go do some tactical classes...however the government should not force anyone to have to go to training to honor their 2nd amendment rights....How many GFL holders do you see shooting up the place and killing innocent bi standards? I say most of the people who have a GFL have that because they are a responible person and have handled and know how to shoot a gun...and I bet a lot people who by a firearm for the first time and get their GFL go to a training class or at least to a range and get instruction on shooting

gahunter70

Getting trainig is a great idea and highly recommend when i get the time i want to go do some tactical classes...however the government should not force anyone to have to go to training to honor their 2nd amendment rights....How many GFL holders do you see shooting up the place and killing innocent bi standards? I say most of the people who have a GFL have that because they are a responible person and have handled and know how to shoot a gun...and I bet a lot people who by a firearm for the first time and get their GFL go to a training class or at least to a range and get instruction on shooting
My concern is not the shooting up the place it is the mere handling of the firearms, you would be surprised(just ask an sccwp instructor) how many folks sign up for the program that don't know how to safely handle a gun. There were only 7 people at my course and you could see that just from the answers that were given to specific questions. Whether or not an individual passes or fails the exam does not infringe on the persons right to keep and bear arms in their home just concealed in public.
If a person is to old to drive(in that their reflexes are to slow or they just can't see well even with glasses) or does not know how to drive should the law prevent them from driving if you say yes then how is this any different. I for one would not want them driving and would expect the law to protect me.
I am totally against more gun laws but I do believe we need laws and I do not feel that me being required to have some training to make sure that I am safe in order to carry a handgun in to the public is an infringement on my rights.
All that being said you have your opinion and I have mine and that is all it is. I will not say you are wrong only that you have a different opinion with valid points. But I will say I am glad folks have to pass a driving test and a cwp test(there is a 50 question quiz and range exam at the end of the class)

delta708

Losers in SC, at least they have some type of training, which isn't much, unlike GA. Don't be calling anyone losers.
NH wait time is only seven day turn around. It has never taken me longer than seven days to receive my NH.
As a former Federal LE and fire arms instructor some need to educate themselves more before calling anyone losers. Sounds to me like someone is upset because their on state will not regulate any type of training.

I was told that a convicted felon was allowed to have a shotgun to bird hunt in south carolina. I was also told that they do not do background checks in south carolina on people unless they are buying handguns. I was told anyone in the state of south carolina could own a shotgun or rifle for hunting purposes- convicted felon or not!!! Anyone know a """ correct""" answer???

sawyerrt10

From: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A4

How long does it take to process applications submitted to the Permits and Licensing Unit?
Applications are processed within 14 days of receipt. If the application is denied, the applicant will receive written notification of the reason for such denial. If you have not received a response after three weeks, please feel free to call us at (603) 271-3575.

However when you call the number the message says "due to the high volume of applications, processing time is 7 weeks.

sawyerrt10

I was told that a convicted felon was allowed to have a shotgun to bird hunt in south carolina. I was also told that they do not do background checks in south carolina on people unless they are buying handguns. I was told anyone in the state of south carolina could own a shotgun or rifle for hunting purposes- convicted felon or not!!! Anyone know a """ correct""" answer???

You can find your answers here:--->http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

I was told that a convicted felon was allowed to have a shotgun to bird hunt in south carolina. I was also told that they do not do background checks in south carolina on people unless they are buying handguns. I was told anyone in the state of south carolina could own a shotgun or rifle for hunting purposes- convicted felon or not!!!

Federal law prohibits a felon from possessing a firearm. Federal law applies to all 50 states. South Carolina disputed that last proposition 150 years ago, but the issue was rather conclusively resolved to the contrary.

Amazing what people "hear".

Luke0927

Losers in SC, at least they have some type of training, which isn't much, unlike GA. Don't be calling anyone losers.
NH wait time is only seven day turn around. It has never taken me longer than seven days to receive my NH.
As a former Federal LE and fire arms instructor some need to educate themselves more before calling anyone losers. Sounds to me like someone is upset because their on state will not regulate any type of training.

It was a joke and no where did it say THE CITIZENS were losers....The citizens didn't write the bill but it is your legislation you could do something about it....but we have tried to have SC honor GA and they will not....and im for OC without a license and i can deal with getting a license if you want to carry concealed but I shouldn't be told i have to go to a class to get my license....Because what that will lead to is more control over who can get a license because they will control who can be a "certified" instructor, where you must go, and the amount of classes etc....

and for the DL point...driving is privilege, and owning/carrying a gun is right to self defense. apples to oranges.....

Luke0927

South carolina has great gun laws i think. I wish all states would follow them. Again its not the gun doing the killing its the person behind it.

They are better than most of ours since we still have the public gathering law...you can carry k-12, public buildings (not courthouse) sporting events, they still have some requirements for church carry (not sure what they all are)

so yeah i wish our laws were as good as theirs...but we are working on that but for them to not honor a GFL because of training is ridiculous especially when they are a border state of ours and im sure a lot of people in GA do a lot of traveling to SC and spend a decent amount of money in that state.

gahunter70

They are better than most of ours since we still have the public gathering law...you can carry k-12, public buildings (not courthouse) sporting events, they still have some requirements for church carry (not sure what they all are)

so yeah i wish our laws were as good as theirs...but we are working on that but for them to not honor a GFL because of training is ridiculous especially when they are a border state of ours and im sure a lot of people in GA do a lot of traveling to SC and spend a decent amount of money in that state.
we can't carry in schools or daycares but a church we can as long as you have permission from the pastor (my instructor recommended getting it in writing), last I checked GA could not carry in schools either. I don't see why SC could not offer to honor as long as a GA resident provided some sort of training, would not be that hard to set up they could just extend SC's material to GA instructors, now that I think about it an NRA instructor should meet that criteria. Try and contact what ever organization fights for these rights for ya'll over in GA ours is scfirearms.org and see what they can do.I think it would be great.

Luke0927

gahunter70

I don't see why SC couldn't do it if UTAH can must be something else political to it.
I got this off of the SLED web site.
SECTION 16-23-430. Carrying weapons on school property.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person, except State, county or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms or any other type of weapon, device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.
SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.

Luke0927

I don't see why SC couldn't do it if UTAH can must be something else political to it.
I got this off of the SLED web site.
SECTION 16-23-430. Carrying weapons on school property.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person, except State, county or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms or any other type of weapon, device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.
SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.

IANAL...but im guessing it has something to do with that statement in bold...but in reality are you going to get permission thats the big question.

gahunter70

IANAL...but im guessing it has something to do with that statement in bold...but in reality are you going to get permission thats the big question.

I did see that and my instructor said he had permission at his kids elem. school but he was also good friends with the principle and unless I have in writing I just can't trust someones word, put them in a jam and they could quickly forget they ever even talked to you.
What about GA, my wife works in Augusta at a private school/church do you have to have permission or is it allowed? She is waiting on her permit to come back from SLED and the church is in a bad area so she would like to carry there if possible.

Luke0927

I did see that and my instructor said he had permission at his kids elem. school but he was also good friends with the principle and unless I have in writing I just can't trust someones word, put them in a jam and they could quickly forget they ever even talked to you.
What about GA, my wife works in Augusta at a private school/church do you have to have permission or is it allowed? She is waiting on her permit to come back from SLED and the church is in a bad area so she would like to carry there if possible.

yes you would want in in writing...in GA you can get away with it being in your car while you are picking your kids up but carrying in school to say sign out your kid a big no no.

HB615 as written will fix GA horrible gun laws and make us one of the best pro gun states...basically no carry in federal places...and not courthouse/building that house a jail...also repels and clears up a lot of things.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten

Can't carry there...falls under the public gathering catch-all; matter of fact she can't even have it in her vehicle at a church.

Latest posts