Scope is out of elevation

Khondker

I took my new Savage B22 FV (22 LR) to shoot 50 yards. My scope is Vortex 4-12X40 AO. I was shooting Eley Tenex and Norma Tac-22. Both ammo was hitting around 12 inches below point of aim. The scope doesn't have enough elevation to adjust 12 more inches. The scope has 50 M0A adjustment and I am at the dead end of available click count Clockwise. The mount ring is Leopold Rifleman 1" High Mount. Part # 55870. The gun came with factory mount.
Please advise what I need do.

Thanks in advance.

tcward

I took my new Savage B22 FV (22 LR) to shoot 50 yards. My scope is Vortex 4-12X40 AO. I was shooting Eley Tenex and Norma Tac-22. Both ammo was hitting around 12 inches below point of aim. The scope doesn't have enough elevation to adjust 12 more inches. The scope has 50 M0A adjustment and I am at the dead end of available click count Clockwise. The mount ring is Leopold Rifleman 1" High Mount. Part # 55870. The gun came with factory mount.
Please advise what I need do.

Thanks in advance.
Try a 20 moa picatinny base and and medium rings.I don’t know if that factory base is 20 moa or not.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Is the base the rifleman base or the picatinny that came on the rifle? Is there a difference in the rifleman base and a picatinny?

Khondker

Is the base the rifleman base or the picatinny that came on the rifle? Is there a difference in the rifleman base and a picatinny?
The rifle came with two pieces flat ring mount, mounted on the receiver from the factory.

bighonkinjeep

The up and down arrows on the elevation turret indicate movement of the bullets point of impact not the movement of the crosshairs. It sounds to me like you possibly have the turret bottomed out the wrong way.

Khondker

The up and down arrows on the elevation turret indicate movement of the bullets point of impact not the movement of the crosshairs. It sounds to me like you possibly have the turret bottomed out the wrong way.
I was shooting with a retired military friend. He checked to make sure I was adjusting the scope correctly. I wish you are right though.

bighonkinjeep

Does clockwise say down? All you need to do is adjust the scope.
No additional parts needed
As I stated the arrows indicate point of bullet impact not crosshair movement which is opposite.
If you turn the turret counterclockwise and that direction is marked up then the crosshairs go down bringing bullet POI up.
No shame Ive done it myself as a much younger man. Just stick the little bit of knowledge in your pocket and maybe you can help someone else down the line.

Last edited:

Khondker

Yes, Clockwise says down. I was hitting around 12" low. So I did counter Clockwise to move the point of impact.

bighonkinjeep

Good deal, You should be drilling bullseyes in short order now with a few more adjustments.
The Savage FVs are generally super accurate little rigs.
Good Luck

PS if your adjustments are 1/2 MOA then 24 clicks up should get you close at 50 yards if your scope is tracking correctly.

Last edited:

Khondker

Good deal, You should be drilling bullseyes in short order now with a few more adjustments.
The Savage FVs are generally super accurate little rigs.
Good Luck

PS if your adjustments are 1/2 MOA then 24 clicks up should get you close at 50 yards if your scope is tracking correctly.
Once I manage to sight the gun, I will be taking it to 50 yards rimfire benchrest competition. Norma Tac-22 was doing very tight group, Eley Tenex was horrible .

Jester896

Senior Clown
Are rifleman rings comparable with a picatinny base?

I can’t imagine why it would do what your saying unless they weren’t compatible

Khondker

The rifle came with 0 MOA, two pieces weaver base rail. No picatinny rail.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Are the Leupold rings compatible with a Weaver base then? Weaver rings will work on a picatinny but picatinny won’t seat right on a Weaver IIRC

You don’t need a 30MOA rail to shoot 50 yards… you migh need one to shoot 400 yards

bighonkinjeep

Are the Leupold rings compatible with a Weaver base then? Weaver rings will work on a picatinny but picatinny won’t seat right on a Weaver IIRC

You don’t need a 30MOA rail to shoot 50 yards… you migh need one to shoot 400 yards
Think we got him all fixed up.
He was trting to adjust the crosshairs instead of point of impact and bottomed out in the wrong direction.
Savage typically use EGW bases and they should work just fine with the rifleman rings though Id personally probably go with mediums.

Khondker

Think we got him all fixed up.
He was trting to adjust the crosshairs instead of point of impact and bottomed out in the wrong direction.
Savage typically use EGW bases and they should work just fine with the rifleman rings though Id personally probably go with mediums.
I was hitting low, so I clicked towards up direction (counter clockwise) to move point of impact, not the crosshair. I finally called Vortex, they sent me free shipping label. I have shipped the scope to Vortex thismorning. As Jeste896 wrote, I should not be bottom out at 50 yards. I have a Henry Lever Action 22, another Savage B22 and Savage 64 F in 22lr with cheap Bushnell scopes, not having any issues.

Khondker

Odd. Did you try bore sighting it first? Just curious what that showed..
Yes, I took the bolt out from action and tried to put the crosshair on the target, did not have enough clicks to bring down all the way to the target.