Security cameras for home

Back_40

I want to install security cameras inside and outside my home. Looking for suggestions on brands, etc. Thanks!

creekrunner

I have 3 blink cameras outside, they do have two way talk. I also like that the sync module has a USB port so you can record to a flash drive instead of a monthly subscription. Put them up in July

K80Shooter

I have the Arlo pro 3, .......... I hate them. Way too many missed people that should be recorded and false recordings such as shadows from trees moving in the wind. You also have to have a plan for the Pro 3 and newer. With the older cameras you got 7 days recordings for free.

If I had to do it again it would be a cctv system.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I went with Reolink, and would do it again if I had to. They offer, wifi cameras, with vehicle and people detection, but I really didn't want that. My "older" version has 4K cameras and motion detection, but I disabled it. Mine requires Cat 5 cables to each camera, but I preferred it, since I can run it even during a power outage, (with my solar/battery backup) or wifi failure.
Reolink camera option

Screenshot from my back deck camera:
nvr-west-10-4-2021-11-33-15-am-jpg.1107847

GoldDot40

I have Swann cameras. Great resolution and night vision. My receiver/recorder is hooked up to my internet and I can see them live on my phone anytime I want. Got them on Amazon and it came with everything needed to install.

acurasquirrel

I went with Ring cameras. All of mine are hardwired, these do better with detection as the recording include the 5-10 seconds prior to detection.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I just put up 4 Lorex cameras. Don’t really have any grounds for comparison but no monthly payment and I believe I paid around 250 for all of it off Amazon.

GoldDot40

My brother has been doing home security installs for over 20 years. He told me when I was shopping for mine that to definitely go with hardwired cameras solely based on dependability...regardless of brand.

hipster dufus

I also believe warning signs and fake cameras work just as good

Back_40

How difficult is installing hardwired cameras inside an existing 2 story home?

Last edited:

natureman

Not easy. I hardwired the alarm system on my one story house but was working from underneath in the basement which worked well for wire concealment. With 2 story it gets complicated. Sensor on every window and door, plus motion and glass breakage. In contrast the Blink outdoor wireless camera was a piece of cake. The only thing lacking is an app to view thru your windows home computer. Blink works on Android and Apple phones.

GoldDot40

Depends on where you want your reciever/recorder box and what kind of construction your house is. Brick? Vinyl? Hardiplank? Wood? Stucco?

I have mine connected to the TV in our bedroom. That way, if I ever hear a bump in the night, I never have to get out of bed or turn on lights. I simply turn on the TV and select HDMI 2 and it brings up live feed of every camera.

Fiberglass glow rods my brother had made it 100X easier to pull the cable from the outside inwards.

Here's the camera on my front porch...
20211101_174800.jpg

Lukikus2

I have the blink. You do have to have wifi but it only has a module that plugs into a 110v outlet. The cameras can be moved easily. Battery powered. Or the whole system can be taken with you on trips. I have moved mine a few times.