Security cameras for home

benellisbe

I have installed hundreds of camera systems for commercial, residential and Military customers. I have Ubiquiti cameras on my home (2 story) and they work great. I have used Lorex, LTS, Hikvision, etc. They all have their challenges. As a Cyber Security Professional, I will not use HikVision or Ring anywhere on my system... With that said, if your house is spray foamed and the attic doesn't get to 100+ degrees, you can install a relatively cheap industrial POE switch in the attic. Run 1 CAT5/6 cable from the "DVR or Switch for Ubiquiti with Cloud Key" as an uplink. wire each camera you want to the switch in the attic and you will be good to go.

greg_n_clayton

I am searching for security cameras for inside and outside. Looks like I am gonna need maybe 5 cameras. 1 inside and 4 outside. I done a search and this post came up. Can anybody add anything since this post is nearly a year old ? I am thinking maybe wireless instead of hard wired. Are there any thoughts on that ? Hard wiring them wouldn't be very hard at all if that is the preferred way to go. I am also definitely wanting cell phone access to them. Also a tv to monitor them on.

Thanks for any input and newer suggestions !

WayneB

I have the Arlo essentials (3 of them) at work, they do okay.. limited distance, sometimes grainy, but they work. A coworker has the Arlo pro's (4) and they are much, much better. Each of us are running off a verizon hotspot. Battery life is 3-4 weeks per charge. The essentials you have to remove to charge, the pro's have a removable battery. I chose the arlo due to not requiring a powered hub, each is wifi connected. The hotspot charges off a solar charge controller, and will work indefinately, the other usb ports can be used to recharge the camera units.

The first week we had them up, we caught a vehicle entering a construction site on my cameras, my coworkers' cameras videoed the guy busting locks and breaking into storage units. Deputies got him, so they paid for themselves many times over in one hit.

I have some night videos of fox, coons and a deer wandering around, IF they are within 20 yds, it's decent video in color, beyond that grainy b&w..

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I am searching for security cameras for inside and outside. Looks like I am gonna need maybe 5 cameras. 1 inside and 4 outside. I done a search and this post came up. Can anybody add anything since this post is nearly a year old ? I am thinking maybe wireless instead of hard wired. Are there any thoughts on that ? Hard wiring them wouldn't be very hard at all if that is the preferred way to go. I am also definitely wanting cell phone access to them. Also a tv to monitor them on.

My particular Reolink 4K system has been discontinued. The newer versions have vehicle/person detection systems built in. I don't think that is all that necessary, but it is the new hot ticket.

If I had to do it again today, I think I'd do the same thing, just the current version. I usually buy the best technology, a year or so dated, to save money.

I like the simplicity and reliability of the POE, (power over ethernet system). Included RJ45 Cat 5/6 cables, make it plug and play. The cameras are very good quality, and the 2 Terabyte storage NVR allows you to have a fair amount of recorded video.

No batteries to keep charged, no Wi-Fi to reconnect. Simple. On my system, I can still run the entire camera network on my Amateur Radio battery bank and inverter in case of power outage. (My wifi router also runs on the same inverter).

An app allows me to view cameras on my phone or computer from anywhere. No maintenance fees, or membership fees. You can plug in a dedicated computer monitor with an HDMI port, or you could get a switch and use an existing computer monitor. It has run flawlessly since I installed it. I guess running the cables was the only challenge, and that really wasn't that big of an issue. The only time I needed a monitor, was to setup the original layout. I've used the app since.

This one is a good value. 4 camera POE with 5MP quality camera, 2TB NVR storage system, all you need to do is order 1 extra camera, (probably have a sale on that too). The system will support up to 8 cameras. I see they offer one with black cameras now, and if you don't need the 5MP video quality, the 4MP camera system save a bit.
Reolink RLk8-410b4
rlk8-410b4.png

Most any brand would probably be good, I just ended up with Reolink after wading through tons of reviews.

Last edited:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Here's a snapshot of the 4K system, you can see I need to sweep the spiderweb! Gravel drive is the darker strip, grass is lighter, neighbors front porch light screen left, car headlights out on the highway, screen top. Pretty good resolution.
NVR-North 2-27-2022, 8-34-49 PM.jpg
Here's an example snapshot from daytime, earlier in the year:
NVR-West 1-12-2022, 9-21-25 AM.jpgA piece of advice I read that made sense was to locate cameras on the perimeter so that each camera "watched" the location of the next one, as if they all followed each other around the house. That way you had good coverage, and each individual camera was somewhat protected by the one behind it.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
If your budget allows, here is a 5 camera Reolink package, (4 camera-NVR with 1 additional camera), using the 4K 8MP cameras on a flash deal. Sale price for everything you need is $ 574.68 and free shipping.

Can't link it direct, but look under Flash Deals, Bundles, PoE camera systems.
1646013755452.png

GoldDot40

See my previous posts in this thread. Still have zero complaints. The Swann system includes 4 cameras but is expandable for a total of 8. I'd still say hardwired is the way to go. Trouble free, especially if you have to mount them pretty high off the ground. You'll have to climb that ladder any time the batteries get weak.

hipster dufus

Just got the blink 2 way doorbell to add to my system. 4 cameras plus the doorbell now. Short money, easy install, app is easy too. Ill say it again, the yard signs" Vidoe cameras in use" work just as good.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Questions for you Blink Outdoor owners.

I don't want to pay a monthly subscription, it's unnecessary for my simple needs. How long are the recorded video clips for nonsubscribers?

I know it depends on several factors, but about how long do your cameras last before needing to be recharged?

Do they allow Live View on the "free" plan? Want to be able to look in on things live.

How is night vision?

Thanks

LTZ25

Well I'm no expert but I have a Ring on the backyard and a Arlo on the front and both work great .

trial&error

Questions for you Blink Outdoor owners.

I don't want to pay a monthly subscription, it's unnecessary for my simple needs. How long are the recorded video clips for nonsubscribers?

I know it depends on several factors, but about how long do your cameras last before needing to be recharged?

Do they allow Live View on the "free" plan? Want to be able to look in on things live.

How is night vision?

Thanks
without a subscription you need a sync module and a usb stick. You can still do live view, but to view stored videos you have to eject the usb and go to your computer to see them. videos are as long as you set them up, but recording and storing long useless videos eat up more battery power. batteries are supposed to last for a year or more, i'm 6 months in and still working. Yes live view works on free plan. You will get 30 day free when you activate a camera to test out the full blown functions.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I use eufy security. Wireless, live viewing, can zoom in on view, works off home wifi and phone app, no monthly service, batteries last around 3-6 months depending on recording settings and will still record in a power outage. It will run up to 12 cameras.

hipster dufus

Blink, is free from monthly charges. Everything is thru our phones. I hav never used a usb stick. Dont know why i would.easy peasy. Lithium AA batts work best. They ladt quite awhile. 6 mo or longer.nite vision also.all adjustments r done with phone.can say they work great. Short money.

hipster dufus

I also wonder, if i need cameras, why am i living here?