Set Pictures

Had something fire one of my coyote traps off.

Disclaimer: I am not a very good coyote trapper.

Looking for a little bit of advice here as I am not 100% sure what fired the trap but I clearly had something work a couple of my sets and pull my wool out of the dirt hole. Would you pro's recommend just re-bedding the trap and re-baiting or moving the set all together? Whatever stepped in the trap it flung the trap out and to the left at the end of the chain, but there was no catch circle. Could have been a deer? Just re-set and try again or move?

I will take a picture of my dirt hole set later this evening. My pan is about 10" back and 2" to the right of the front edge of my dirt hole.

I did manage to catch this guy. Decent sized coon.

BAIT: Marsh-mellow under the trigger. Topped it off with cheap cat food.

20220128.jpg

Last edited:

Doug B.

Had something fire one of my coyote traps off.

Disclaimer: I am not a very good coyote trapper.

Looking for a little bit of advice here as I am not 100% sure what fired the trap but I clearly had something work a couple of my sets and pull my wool out of the dirt hole. Would you pro's recommend just re-bedding the trap and re-baiting or moving the set all together? Whatever stepped in the trap it flung the trap out and to the left at the end of the chain, but there was no catch circle. Could have been a deer? Just re-set and try again or move?

I will take a picture of my dirt hole set later this evening. My pan is about 10" back and 2" to the right of the front edge of my dirt hole.

I did manage to catch this guy. Decent sized coon.

BAIT: Marsh-mellow under the trigger. Topped it off with cheap cat food.

View attachment 1131942
That sounds like it could have been a deer. If it were me, I would put the trap closer to the hole. Make your hole 8 to 12 inches deep and put your bait/wool all the way to the bottom.

That won't solve the deer problem though if that's what tripped your trap.

Last edited:

mossyoakpro

This is the set I have caught 4 different species from...it started as a regular dirt hole then had a digger that ended up being a coon so I took a big flat rock and covered the back of the hole and set another trap. Apparently it has everything now....eye appeal and a bunch of different smells. I'm gonna keep setting it as long as the areas doesnot get too destroyed! LOL Tight chains gents!

Attachments

• Set.jpg
    Set.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 28

Doug B.

This is the set I have caught 4 different species from...it started as a regular dirt hole then had a digger that ended up being a coon so I took a big flat rock and covered the back of the hole and set another trap. Apparently it has everything now....eye appeal and a bunch of different smells. I'm gonna keep setting it as long as the areas doesnot get too destroyed! LOL Tight chains gents!
Nice! Keep setting and keep catching!

sportsman94

Here’s a few sets made today. A blind set where they are jumping through a hole in a fence. Hair caught in the fence and on the grass on the inside of the fence. Trap places where the blue is. Don’t really know how close they get before jumping through, but am hoping to get them on the approach or exit. Hope I don’t catch a deer!

D057B68B-BBE5-4930-8B9F-1E90BA6F3FB4.jpeg

Next set is a scent post next to a crawl under in the fence. Gland lure in the grass and cat urine on the scat

5B69249A-50B2-42AA-A3E0-FBAEDEF49F5B.jpeg

Lastly, a couple of the attractors I gathered for flat sets. Cut some sections of old hose to try. Will let y’all know if that works for me.

E713E334-8C90-4D53-9DCA-77FF4A40E69B.jpeg

buckpasser

Technically, this is not a set yet. I transplanted this broomsedge plant to this really obvious location today. I also applied fresh urine and droppings from the female I’ve got penned up. No trap yet, but I’m hoping I can make this a real point of contention with them trying to figure out this obnoxious female intruder! Afterwards I hope to make them pay for their aggression.

FA15B6EC-04FA-425A-9FF9-5A529DE60784.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Technically, this is not a set yet. I transplanted this broomsedge plant to this really obvious location today. I also applied fresh urine and droppings from the female I’ve got penned up. No trap yet, but I’m hoping I can make this a real point of contention with them trying to figure out this obnoxious female intruder! Afterwards I hope to make them pay for their aggression.

View attachment 1134886
That’s a great idea . I’ve got a couple places I need to transplant something .