What is your go to coyote set?

Doug B.

A lot of trappers like a post set or a flat set or whatever. There is also a lot of different modifications to some sets. What is your most used set?

I try to keep it pretty simple. The reason for that is because I have tried some of the elaborate sets. Like a trench set for example. Now, I'm not knocking a trench set or any other kind of set for that matter because I know they WILL catch coyotes. But i have spent between 30 and 45 minutes setting a trench set, just trying to get every little detail perfect in my way of thinking. Only to come check it the next morning and have a silver fox! Or even worse, a coon! And it looks like a bomb has consploded all over my set. Now, I know some of y'all don't do remakes and that's fine, but I have caught a lot of coyotes in remakes. So, how do you do a trench remake from a consploded coon catch?
Same thing with a flat set that has made a catch. How do you make it a flat set remake after a catch.
I usually always make them into a dirt hole set. And actually I go ahead and make most of my sets a dirt hole to start with. I do like to change it up if I do more than one set at a given location though. My first set will usually be a dirt hole. Then I will change the other one to a flat set or a post set or even a compass set. But I guess my go to set would be a dirt hole set.

Sorry guys! I'm just trying to keep some discussion going here in the trapping forum cause it is the most interesting forum on the board. Humor me............please!

Mike81

A lot of trappers like a post set or a flat set or whatever. There is also a lot of different modifications to some sets. What is your most used set?

I try to keep it pretty simple. The reason for that is because I have tried some of the elaborate sets. Like a trench set for example. Now, I'm not knocking a trench set or any other kind of set for that matter because I know they WILL catch coyotes. But i have spent between 30 and 45 minutes setting a trench set, just trying to get every little detail perfect in my way of thinking. Only to come check it the next morning and have a silver fox! Or even worse, a coon! And it looks like a bomb has consploded all over my set. Now, I know some of y'all don't do remakes and that's fine, but I have caught a lot of coyotes in remakes. So, how do you do a trench remake from a consploded coon catch?
Same thing with a flat set that has made a catch. How do you make it a flat set remake after a catch.
I usually always make them into a dirt hole set. And actually I go ahead and make most of my sets a dirt hole to start with. I do like to change it up if I do more than one set at a given location though. My first set will usually be a dirt hole. Then I will change the other one to a flat set or a post set or even a compass set. But I guess my go to set would be a dirt hole set.

Sorry guys! I'm just trying to keep some discussion going here in the trapping forum cause it is the most interesting forum on the board. Humor me............please!
I have heard of the flat and dirt hole, but tell me a little about a compass set. Never heard of this one. Back to youtube I go. Ha!

Doug B.

With a compass set I punch 4 holes (north, south, east, and west) with the two opposing holes being 10 to 12 inches apart. I put different lures or even baits in the holes and put the trap in the center. I have caught coyotes on this set but it is not one of the most productive in my experience.

Mike81

With a compass set I punch 4 holes (north, south, east, and west) with the two opposing holes being 10 to 12 inches apart. I put different lures or even baits in the holes and put the trap in the center. I have caught coyotes on this set but it is not one of the most productive in my experience.
Gotcha, learned something new today. Sorry to get off topic.

buckpasser

Same as Doug for me. My go to is a plain old dirt hole. My favorite on a new spot is a real loud trench set. I like it on a field edge, cut into a terrace or along a woods road. I actually prefer it because a traveling yote can hardly miss it. I throw the dirt out ten feet or so like a dog was rooster tailing it. A liberal amount of urine and they seem to screw up at a high rate. I also really like setting on corn stalks with bait up high in the plant and building a little fake rat den in peanut hay. Like Doug said, a possum, coon or bobcat comes along and the set gets thrashed!

I used to set with higher pan tension for fewer nontarget catches but have gradually shifted to lighter pans. I just can’t stand to see a coyote pup, cat or fox track walking all over me without getting caught! Haha

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've not got enough experience to have a sho' nuff go to.

But out of the four I caught on my very small trapline this spring only one stepped in a dirt hole. Three were caught in the middle of a trail, on grass clumps with about two drops of yote pee, and a twig dipped in lure...

My dirt holes caught possums, coons, and a bobcat. Dirt holes also caught me a bucket full of fire ants... ?

If I have to have a plan, I will save dirt holes for cold weather, and feel confident in using simple "middle of the road" sets with lure and urine during hot weather.

I also believe that you gotta have coyotes, to catch coyotes. No point in setting if you ain't got some good sign...

Just the ramblings of a trappin' rookie that lucked up and hit a homer in his first game..

mossyoakpro

I used to be about 80+ percent dirt holes but I have started catching more on flat sets the last few years...believe it or not a bowling ball has become one of my favorite things to use, I have managed to get my hands on a few more balls this summer going with the bride to yard sales!! I would say I'm closer to 50/50 now flat vs dirt hole.

Another thing I have started doing is putting a DP down fairly close to my dirt holes to hopefully catch the set destroyer before he gets there if there is any tracks whatsoever near the coyote set.

The compass set has gotten my interest so that will be used this coming season...

furtaker

I've caught way more coyotes on dirt holes than anything else... probably because I use them the most. Well blended flat sets are deadly too. One of my favorite and most productive dirt holes is to take a shovel, cut out two big round chunks of sod side by side, stack them on top of each other, and dig a big torn up dirt hole at the base of them. It has lots of eye appeal and is deadly on coyotes. This set works well in pastures or food plots.

I also love making well blended blind sets. I didn't think they would be very effective until I watched a video and started making them. You would be surprised at the animals you will catch and they are fun to make. A coyote can get educated to lure and dirt holes, but he is always going to have to travel trails and put his feet somewhere. I think they're good for picking up the shy and smart ones.

mossyoakpro

I've caught way more coyotes on dirt holes than anything else... probably because I use them the most. Well blended flat sets are deadly too. One of my favorite and most productive dirt holes is to take a shovel, cut out two big round chunks of sod side by side, stack them on top of each other, and dig a big torn up dirt hole at the base of them. It has lots of eye appeal and is deadly on coyotes. This set works well in pastures or food plots.

I also love making well blended blind sets. I didn't think they would be very effective until I watched a video and started making them. You would be surprised at the animals you will catch and they are fun to make. A coyote can get educated to lure and dirt holes, but he is always going to have to travel trails and put his feet somewhere. I think they're good for picking up the shy and smart ones.

Is that a trench set of sorts? I love the idea as I trap a lot of ag fields and eye appeal is a must hence the reason for the bowling ball.

furtaker

Is that a trench set of sorts? I love the idea as I trap a lot of ag fields and eye appeal is a must hence the reason for the bowling ball.
It's similar to a trench set. The 2 pieces of sod stacked up make for a good backing and lots of eye appeal.

It's a JC Conner set. I have all three of his DVDs and they are the best and most informative trapping videos I have ever seen by far. Really helped me a lot.

cj580guitar

It's similar to a trench set. The 2 pieces of sod stacked up make for a good backing and lots of eye appeal.

It's a JC Conner set. I have all three of his DVDs and they are the best and most informative trapping videos I have ever seen by far. Really helped me a lot.
I have the JC Conner dvds also. Great ones to watch that’s for sure.

2dye4

I’ve always used a little bit of everything flat sets dirt holes tbones. But after I took some private instruction this spring I was shown some other sets that I think will work a lot for me. Using drags will keep them from destroying the set location. So that’s my focus this year.
I’ve always used a little bit of everything flat sets dirt holes tbones. But after I took some private instruction this spring I was shown some other sets that I think will work a lot for me. Using drags will keep them from destroying the set location. So that’s my focus this year.
cj,
A coyote destroying your set is only in the mind. I’ve caught 5 or more off of one set. After that I will move it a few yards and reset.

Doug B.

cj,
A coyote destroying your set is only in the mind. I’ve caught 5 or more off of one set. After that I will move it a few yards and reset.
It seems that some people don't catch coyotes in remakes. I love remaking a set. I'm like you Mark, I have caught at least 5 in one set that I just keep remaking after catches. I have also caught them in remake after catching possum, coons, bobcats, foxes, etc. It works really well for me.

cj580guitar

cj,
I’ve caught coyotes off of remakes also and fresh sets right next to catch circles but some traps need to be drags so to not disturb the original set. But everyone has their own ways of what works for them.

sportsman94

My favorite set for coyotes is finding a wash/dirt area between two tufts of broomsedge. I’ll plant a second tuft when I find a good spot with just one and I’ve been known to plant two tufts of grass when I’m feeling frisky. The tufts will ideally be situated about 8-12” apart from each other. I like to put the ears of the trap facing 12 and 6 on this set and bed it dead in the middle of the two pieces of grass. I put a bobcat gland lure on one side and another gland lure or something else on the other one. A **** can go on one of the levers if you have one handy. A helpful piece of advice that I never listen to on this set is to put it on a drag or something to let the animal get away from the set without damaging it. For me, it’s the set I have more confidence in than anything else

furtaker

My favorite set for coyotes is finding a wash/dirt area between two tufts of broomsedge. I’ll plant a second tuft when I find a good spot with just one and I’ve been known to plant two tufts of grass when I’m feeling frisky. The tufts will ideally be situated about 8-12” apart from each other. I like to put the ears of the trap facing 12 and 6 on this set and bed it dead in the middle of the two pieces of grass. I put a bobcat gland lure on one side and another gland lure or something else on the other one. A **** can go on one of the levers if you have one handy. A helpful piece of advice that I never listen to on this set is to put it on a drag or something to let the animal get away from the set without damaging it. For me, it’s the set I have more confidence in than anything else
Sounds like a good set.

The blind set is my ace in the hole for that hard to get one, if they give me the opportunity.

I remember one particular red coyote that gave me fits. Avoided a ring of steel surrounding a backyard on the north side of Atlanta. Took note that the homeowner regularly saw it enter the yard at a particular spot. Traced that back to a faint trail that passed between two pines about a foot apart. A well blended 650 no bait no lure and a stepping stick had the son of a female coyote the next morning.

I also think there's something to the smell and sight of fresh dirt that is a natural curiosity for canines. I've caught critters on just that alone.