Need some new ideas for my small property.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I think I need some new tricks for trapping on my small line.

I have had good success, but at the same time I think the critters are on to me. I have two coyotes for sure, and also two bobcats. One cat I have caught and released, which will only make him tougher I know.

Some of y'all type me up a paragraph on your favorite "change up" pitch.

I've got nothing in the ground for a couple weeks, but I have 16 traps ready to go, and I want to set some after this inch of rain forecast for the weekend.

Gimme some fresh ideas, for critters that have probably got me figured out!

canine933

What type sets are you using? Totally changing the type bait and lure. Cracklings from the meat dept are always good for a change up too, yes I’m very old school. Also changing the amount you put out will make them concentrate more.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
What type sets are you using? Totally changing the type bait and lure. Cracklings from the meat dept are always good for a change up too, yes I’m very old school. Also changing the amount you put out will make them concentrate more.

I've tried them all at one time or other. I am very partial to finding a wheelspin, or dump, and setting on a nearby clump of grass with a few drops of urine. Maybe a bit of gland too, but very little of either. Guess you could say that the grass clump is my favorite...

Dirt holes usually get me coons, possums, and ants. Food-type sets are my least used.

Had pretty good luck around dead carcasses, too.

Even caught one on a pile of horse crap...

I try to keep a wide variety of offerings... :bounce:

furtaker

I think if you catch a few off a smallish piece of property, the remaining ones get pretty wary, too. They know something is going on in that area. Plus I think a lot of times there are not as many predators on a piece of property as we think. Some areas definitely have more than others.

dfurdennis

I think if you catch a few off a smallish piece of property, the remaining ones get pretty wary, too. They know something is going on in that area. Plus I think a lot of times there are not as many predators on a piece of property as we think. Some areas definitely have more than others.
Agreed, think I'm gonna try some scent post sets I think they are catching onto the dirt hole sets i get some passers that may check them out but i seem to be getting off to a slow start for some reason.

2dye4

A ghillie suit, leather glove and you favorite side carry. You got to be really still and quick with the side carry though. ::ke: :rofl:
I think I need some new tricks for trapping on my small line.

I have had good success, but at the same time I think the critters are on to me. I have two coyotes for sure, and also two bobcats. One cat I have caught and released, which will only make him tougher I know.

Some of y'all type me up a paragraph on your favorite "change up" pitch.

I've got nothing in the ground for a couple weeks, but I have 16 traps ready to go, and I want to set some after this inch of rain forecast for the weekend.

Gimme some fresh ideas, for critters that have probably got me figured out!
I’m in the same boat. I told @canine933 that I’m gonna start setting some flat sets at pinch points where I always see tracks. Also have some BTO I have to drain off and going to use the chunks in a few dirt holes. Really worked well for me a few years ago.

sportsman94

A big buried bait is a good changeup around here that they seem to work even when they ignore other sets. Works better in sandy soil instead of clay just cause of the ease of digging a large hole. My two most recent experiences with this set did not go as planned. They waited to hit it until we had a south wind and were on the opposite side of the buried beaver from my trap. As you can see, they made off with it. It also doesn’t work well if a John Deere with a 20’ disk takes out the beaver along with the trap. If you can cable it to the ground or otherwise run a stake through it I’m betting they would make tracks all around it trying to get the right angle for it to come free

IMG_9233.jpeg

2dye4

A big buried bait is a good changeup around here that they seem to work even when they ignore other sets. Works better in sandy soil instead of clay just cause of the ease of digging a large hole. My two most recent experiences with this set did not go as planned. They waited to hit it until we had a south wind and were on the opposite side of the buried beaver from my trap. As you can see, they made off with it. It also doesn’t work well if a John Deere with a 20’ disk takes out the beaver along with the trap. If you can cable it to the ground or otherwise run a stake through it I’m betting they would make tracks all around it trying to get the right angle for it to come free

View attachment 1286776
Man I ain’t got no easy ground like you have. Easy money there. I have to have a jack hammer. :banginghe

furtaker

Ever notice that if there is a bare spot of dirt somewhere there will be a coyote track in the middle of it? Jeff Dunlap said one time that makes a good set for smart ones. He said just bed your trap and cover it with dirt and don't blend it so it stands out and a coyote will step in it. I've never tried it.

buckpasser

It’s not a great paragraph, but as @furtaker said, blind sets. The coyotes have been paper thin on the plantation since I moved past the “idiot” phase of trapping and graduated up to “sometimes lucky”. When I’m fortunate enough to find a track or scat, it’ll be a blind or scent post that gets him most often. I did catch one young female with a dirt hole on the neighbor last week, and one on us with a scent post this week. Keeps me eager each trapping morning as hope springs eternal.

2dye4

Ever notice that if there is a bare spot of dirt somewhere there will be a coyote track in the middle of it? Jeff Dunlap said one time that makes a good set for smart ones. He said just bed your trap and cover it with dirt and don't blend it so it stands out and a coyote will step in it. I've never tried it.
I’ve got a clump of sage brush on the side of my road that there’s alway a coyote that passes right by it. He’s gonna get a surprise the next time he does.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

View attachment 1286776
This idea has got my wheels spinnin' and my fur to flyin'!!!

Currently on the lookout for a suitable fresh carcass. I'm thinking big carcass, and a dang minefield of traps... :LOL:

We'll see how it goes!

sportsman94

This idea has got my wheels spinnin' and my fur to flyin'!!!

Currently on the lookout for a suitable fresh carcass. I'm thinking big carcass, and a dang minefield of traps... :LOL:

We'll see how it goes!
Keep an eye on your projected wind forecast and plant a trap or two on the downwind side. Since I’ve started paying attention I rarely have anything approach from anything other than downwind. The side or back worked sets are normally attributed to a wind shift on my line. I make most of my sets with no backing if the wind is going to be steady, but you could certainly put a log or something along those lines on the back side. Also, leave a little patch of fur sticking out on the side of the trap.

sportsman94

Does this bring in a lot of Buzzards? I always seem to catch a handful every year..just on dirt hole sets..!

I don’t catch any buzzards with this set, but rarely catch any in any other sets either. I also use this set very sparingly since I’m only looking to make it in sand beds where the digging is easy. I leave a tiny section of fur showing and only use fresh carcasses. I think being buried slows composition so the smell doesn’t get air born as much

2dye4

View attachment 1286776
@sportsman94 get you some of this! I’ve reserved an excavator when I have to pull this line. :rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_2024.jpeg
    IMG_2024.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 16