Win some, Lose some

Heartstarter

Reading this story I remembered reading about a man that used to capture wolves alive by hand by jambing his gloved hand into their mouths, his name was Jack Abernathy. As I recall Teddy Roosevelt heard about the man’s exploits and made a trip to the Oklahoma territory and spent a few days with Jack watching him catch wolves. Interesting character and one tough customer.

CritterCatcher

Thought yall might appreciate a story this morning. This story started a few days ago when my catch pole started acting up. It wouldn’t tighten all the way or release cause the rubber coating had split and was getting caught inside of it. I cut off as much of the rubber as I could and thought that would do it until my new ketch pole replacement cable came in. Fast forward to this morning where I started off with a bobcat where everything went swimmingly with the pole. Next come to a coyote. Get it in the box, but can’t get the pole to release. The rubber was stuck and no amount of pulling was setting it free. After wasting 5 minutes I decided I would cut the cable and move on. Came up to another coyote and figured I would pin him down, grab his scruff and his tail/back leg, and throw him in the truck. This is where things went south quickly. The pinning went smoothly, grabbing the tail/scruff went smoothly, then I stepped on the levers and let him out of the trap. As soon as that trap opened up that bad boy spun around and grabbed me on the arm. I dropped the neck, but held on to the foot/tail. Pinned him again, and finally wrangled him into the truck. Spent a couple hours getting some post exposure rabies vaccine started and now I’m back home

View attachment 1288556

The culprit

View attachment 1288557View attachment 1288558
Oh, man. I bet those shots around the wound were no fun. Thankfully, you now have more to worry about an infection than rabies.

CritterCatcher

Ok, not being involved in this particular outdoor pastime, I have questions.

1. Why are you wrangling live coyotes into the truck?

2. Do you do something with them alive opposed to dead like skinning them.

Hopefully them rabies shots ain't as bad as I've heard. Hope you get healed up quick.
The shots aren't given in the stomach anymore.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Healing up nicely. Got a pretty good bruise surrounding the bite, but it’s scabbed up and feeling better by the day. Found 3 more today that I’d put in the “don’t get out without a catch pole” category

View attachment 1289457
That’s good news ! And you are wearing them out , good job !