Shark disqualified multi-million dollar Marlin in tournament.

Toliver

If this happened to me, and it won't because I don't do well at all with seasick fishing, I'd get Sheriff Brody and the gang, with a bigger boat, and go hunt down this shark. Don't ask me how I'd know what shark did it, I'm still in the grief stage here and may not be thinking rationally.

And also don't ask me why I was looking at CNN. I wasn't. My wife sent me this link.

bighonkinjeep

Pretty sure when I got done crying my eyeballs out of my head that I'd probably give dynamite fishing with a livescope a try.
Sad part is if you inadvertantly bombed a marlin instead of a shark it would probably at least appear to fit the "rules"...

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Saw that yesterday on something. I think it's a stupid rule. Happens a lot when fishing in the ocean.

WaltL1

Is it to keep people from picking up a fish that succumbed to injuries?
You mean like if it was floating around dead and they just pulled it in?
I guess thats possible. Although it would seem like that would be pretty rare but I dont really know.

cracker4112

I believe that is exactly why. They don’t want you winning with a fish that was injured or such that it made it easier to land. In this case, the rule sucks for these guys because if you take them at their word they never even noticed a shark and the marlin didn’t have major injuries from it. No gray area with this rule unfortunately and I’ve heard of similar stories of DQ.

krizia829

Even with the chunk missing, it still outweighed the next one in line by A LOT! What a ridiculous rule.. It may be easier to land, but it can still be eaten by sharks to where it comes off, line can snap, etc.

Core Lokt

I believe that is exactly why. They don’t want you winning with a fish that was injured or such that it made it easier to land. In this case, the rule sucks for these guys because if you take them at their word they never even noticed a shark and the marlin didn’t have major injuries from it. No gray area with this rule unfortunately and I’ve heard of similar stories of DQ.
Talked to a guy at the pig kill'n last night (he won 4K over the weekend, kingfish) and he said what you said, the fish can't put up a strong fight and easier to get in is the reason.

I however, won't have to worry about this crazy rule....

cracker4112

Many, if not most, kill fishing tournaments have a rule requiring all fish to be brought to the scales “in whole condition”.

earlthegoat2

I suppose it’s not much different shooting a huge buck that may have made the records if not for a broken tine.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Alaska - not a competition, but last year this King in the net led to a surprise. First of all, the king run was over and we hadn’t caught one in three weeks. The set was from a downrigger at 45’ standard pink hootchie. She came up quick. We figured it was another shaker. I was net man and was prepared for a small Silver. When I saw this girl, I thought oh no this is gonna be a last minute fight. But she went right in the net and on the boat. A big surprise cause a fish like this usually puts up a huge fight all the way in and into the net.
B340854D-98B0-4BAF-B202-5BFC6AB133D0.jpegAfter a close look something had taken 90% of her tail off. Wow, no fight and way behind her friends? It was not a fresh wound so we were convinced her disability affected her speed and fight. We had no idea what ate her tail but by the shape we figured it was a seal? Who knows? But it was the lamest King I ever slid into a net.

Big7

The Oracle
I got into some above average Mutton Snapper off of Dry Tortugas one time and out of 6 of us catching fish, nobody could get one all the way up without sharks bitting upward and leaving only the head and collar.

But anyway, if they had the thing live streamed there would be no doubt as to the fish being very much alive..

And... At the tail end of the article, it mentioned the Walleye "fishermen" in O-Hi-Yo stuffing fish full of weights. What in the Sam Hill does that have to do with Marlin fishing off North Carolina?

Strange world we live in.