Sheepshead fishing

Fisherman001

I’m wondering when is the best time of year for catching Sheepshead? Also, are some good places to go? I’ve been to Jekyll Island a few times. Thanks.

If your fishing the pilings carry a flat hoe and scrape the barnacles off a few pilings to chum it up. Flip unweighted or lightly weighted bits of shrimp into the slick.
Also while Sheepshead on light line is fun light line has no place near a piling spool up with something tough and cut resistant.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Do they tend to suspend around these piping or are they usually around the bottom?

The Jekyll Pier has some crazy tide flow. You will need to drop a bait into the eddy right behind a piling. Let it hit bottom and crank it up a few turns, and hang it there. You'll need a rod with a flexy tip, and plenty of backbone...I like 30 braid, no stretch, and can yank him outta there.

Stop on the causeway and pick up some fiddlers.

Ain't never had any luck catching sheeps on shrimp at Jekyll.

This works on any of the spots around Brunswick, and there are a bunch of them.

Redbow

Sheepshead will readily bite live shrimp I have never caught one on cut shrimp. Fiddlers are one of the best baits for Sheepshead like Railroader said. Sand fleas are good if you can get them. Even a clump of small barnacles off the pilings tied on your hook with thread or string will work. Good luck.

The Jekyll Pier has some crazy tide flow. You will need to drop a bait into the eddy right behind a piling. Let it hit bottom and crank it up a few turns, and hang it there. You'll need a rod with a flexy tip, and plenty of backbone...I like 30 braid, no stretch, and can yank him outta there.

Stop on the causeway and pick up some fiddlers.

Ain't never had any luck catching sheeps on shrimp at Jekyll.

This works on any of the spots around Brunswick, and there are a bunch of them.

Will a circle hook work? Will 20 pound braided line work? I grew up in North Georgia, but I teach here and have no clue how to target sheepshead and fish that pier.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Will a circle hook work? Will 20 pound braided line work? I grew up in North Georgia, but I teach here and have no clue how to target sheepshead and fish that pier.

Small, sharp, stout J hook for Sheep's. They have extremely tough mouths, and circles are not the recipe for success in hooking them...

I have caught a truckload using Owner SSW Cutting points, size 1/0.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Circle or Octopus 1/0-2/0 here... 15-20 lb braid knotted to 2' or 3' of flourocarbon. Fiddlers or shrimp. Lightest weight that won't get swept away in the current. I like large split shot.

I've broke a few hooks removing them but never lost a fish sheepshead to a broken hook.

Screenshot_20220125-162715_Photos.jpg

Last edited: