Winter surf fishing

crumpet

I was wondering if it was worth dropping some lines in February or March. Usually fish st simons April May and October and have never been so early. Anything at all going on in the surf or pier in February? Heard sheepshead can be caught in winter but have never really targeted them. Thanks

Fatback1

February is when the water temperatures are at the lowest. Fishing the beach fronts during this time would be extremally challenging and you would likely not catch anything. However, its not impossible to catch something, just very hard. Spiny Dogfish, a type of cold water shark, are in our waters that time of year. Really small Whiting are a possibility and I have caught Spotted Hake from the surf when the water temps are low. Yes, Sheepshead are active and targeted during the colder months by many fisherman, but Sheepshead are not typically found in the surf zone and they feed in areas that have hard structure. A boat is normally needed.
Note, fishing St Simons in May and October are excellent choices, two of the best two months to fish the surf zone!

Redbeardless

From personal experience while working in Savannah during the wintertime, with nothing else to do when I had a little time, surf fishing and fishing off the pier is fantastic. It beats the heck out of sitting in a hotel room watching TV. As far as catching, well, hopefully catching a few small sharks and stingrays, and if you are really lucky, you may hook into a big ugly (big black drum), you will do ok. Not a lot to write home about, but I never spent a minute fishing off the pier or in the surf that wasn't enjoyed. Enjoy the experience and set your expectations accordingly!!!

Latest posts