Shot size for pheasant

Core Lokt

Daughters got me a pheasant hunt for father's day. It will be me and SIL and future FIL. Released birds.

I shoot a 20g for dove, turkey and ducks. I would think it would be ok on pheasant as well. If so, what shot size would be best and I'm guessing high brass shells? I see they sell "pheasant" loads but are they really necessary?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Daughters got me a pheasant hunt for father's day. It will be me and SIL and future FIL. Released birds.

I shoot a 20g for dove, turkey and ducks. I would think it would be ok on pheasant as well. If so, what shot size would be best and I'm guessing high brass shells? I see they sell "pheasant" loads but are they really necessary?
Wow, that's a great gift for fathers day. Take some pics for us to see later!
I'd be interested in seeing some cooked pheasant as well! :p

ASH556

While I took my .410 on my last hunt, previously I used my Benelli M2 12ga w/#7-1/2 and it took down put birds no problem, so I would think 6 or smaller. Check with the outfitter as some have shot size rules.

Foster

#6 and IC choke but if you will encounter quail just use #7.5 and it will be fine. Most shots will probably be 10-20 yards if using pointing dogs so even #9 and cylinder will work. If its a pheasant throw or drive then #5 or #6 and IC, Skeet 2, or modified choke.

Big7

The Oracle

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
6 to 7.5, mod choke, 12 gauge. Shot SD birds and flight pen raised birds.

Even used steel 6s on both out to 35 yds, nothing compared to a duck or goose

Jake300win

Improved cylinder or modified, I would use 6's or 5's. I have seen some preserves limit you to 7.5. if they do you can pick up some copper plated 7.5 that are high brass. Also the Winchester AA super sports or Remington STS have some decent 7.5 that move pretty fast. No need for 3 inch shells unless you just want to use them . I usually throw a 7.5 in the first barrel and 6 or 5 in the second. When I go out of state we also run into some wild quail so you don't a 5 or 4 on the first shot.

Resica

6 shot high brass works. I shoot them with a side by side 20 gauge.

tucker80

If you're going to be hunting over dogs on one of the plantations, be careful about the larger shot. I've always been able to do the job with 7 or 7.5 ic on plantation shoots. You'll be close range and pillow case them if your not careful. If it's a tower/continental shoot, #6 mod is good. There's a huge difference between pen raised and SD birds.

Resica

If you're going to be hunting over dogs on one of the plantations, be careful about the larger shot. I've always been able to do the job with 7 or 7.5 ic on plantation shoots. You'll be close range and pillow case them if your not careful. If it's a tower/continental shoot, #6 mod is good. There's a huge difference between pen raised and SD birds.
Aren't a lot of South Dakota birds stocked?

WOODIE13

Resica

Just looked it up. Wild pheasants on state land. Private land gets stocked with hundreds of thousands of birds.

WOODIE13

Hunted both, the pen raised we hunted flew as well as the SD birds, it was on a huge strip mines here in WV and he also had a huge flight pen.

Resica

Hunted both, the pen raised we hunted flew as well as the SD birds, it was on a huge strip mines here in WV and he also had a huge flight pen.
Our stocked birds fly well too! Sad our wild birds are gone.:( Pennsylvania used to have the best pheasant hunting in the country.

WOODIE13

Our stocked birds fly well too! Sad our wild birds are gone.:( Pennsylvania used to have the best pheasant hunting in the country.
They stock them here on a couple WMAs up North, never hunted them