Shot size for pheasant

Resica

Our stocked birds fly well too! Sad our wild birds are gone.:( Pennsylvania used to have the best pheasant hunting in the country.
I remember standing at the bus stop in the 70's and seeing 50 pheasants across the road at an abandoned farm. They were everywhere, caught the tail end of it. Very sad to me.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I remember standing at the bus stop in the 70's and seeing 50 pheasants across the road at an abandoned farm. They were everywhere, caught the tail end of it. Very sad to me.
Sounds like our grouse here, used to get 20 to 40 flushes (some were reflushes), but now you're lucky to get 2 on the same ground

WOODIE13

Somewhat similar here. They are around just not like they used to be.
Remember we used to have a good many quai, then the blizzard in 76 got them pretty much

Resica

Remember we used to have a good many quai, then the blizzard in 76 got them pretty much
I've run into quail here twice, think they were released although they are native to at least southern Pa. The Game Commission has a reintroduction plan here and I think there is still a season for them here.

WOODIE13

I've run into quail here twice, think they were released although they are native to at least southern Pa. The Game Commission has a reintroduction plan here and I think there is still a season for them here.
They released them on a few WMAs here also, we still have a season on them

tucker80

Aren't a lot of South Dakota birds stocked?
They're out flying and building muscle, getting tough. The plantations set them out the morning of the hunt. They were in a pen only a few hours before you shoot them. And no ring-necked pheasant is native to North America. They were all stocked at one time. Some areas will do early release to supplement the population.

Resica

They're out flying and building muscle, getting tough. The plantations set them out the morning of the hunt. They were in a pen only a few hours before you shoot them. And no ring-necked pheasant is native to North America. They were all stocked at one time. Some areas will do early release to supplement the population.
Who said they were native? Willamette Valley Oregon is where they were first introduced in 1882, I believe.

Resica

I consider a pheasant born and raised in the wild as being a wild pheasant.

Gator89

Just looked it up. Wild pheasants on state land. Private land gets stocked with hundreds of thousands of birds.

I hunt private land in SoDak with folks that farm for a living that do not release birds. But these folks are farmers, they do not sell hunts. The birds are 100% wild.

Also, lots of "public access land" in SoDak is privately owned, but the state has made arrangements with the owners to get access to the land by the public.

Outfitters in SoDak are required by law to release birds on the land they hunt.

tucker80

don't hesitate to call the lodge you'll be hunting with. They'll be glad to advise you on shot size for the best experience in their setup. They want you to succeed and have a great hunt. the 20 guage will do well. That's an awesome gift and you'll have a great time I'm sure!
Daughters got me a pheasant hunt for father's day. It will be me and SIL and future FIL. Released birds.

I shoot a 20g for dove, turkey and ducks. I would think it would be ok on pheasant as well. If so, what shot size would be best and I'm guessing high brass shells? I see they sell "pheasant" loads but are they really necessary?

WOODIE13

Got a couple boxes of #5 1oz 2 3/4 high brass. 1300 fps.Pheasent load so they should be good huh :rolleyes:
Need some TSS for the 70 yd shots too ::ke:

Gator89

Just looked it up. Wild pheasants on state land. Private land gets stocked with hundreds of thousands of birds.

Walk-In Areas​

Privately owned lands, operating as working farms and ranches. Walk-In Areas are leased for public hunting access by the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks using money from the sale of hunting licenses and Federal Aid money from a tax on hunting equipment sales. No further permission from landowners is needed to hunt these areas. NO DRIVING is allowed on Walk-In Areas except on designated trails and parking areas.

sign-CREP.jpg
Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP)​

Open year round to public hunting and fishing access. CREP lands are owned by private individuals who have enrolled them in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) and signed a lease agreement with South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks to provide public hunting and fishing access.

Administered by the USDA's Farm Service Agency, this program is a "state-sponsored" Conservation Reserve Program; providing additional undisturbed habitat for wildlife and public hunting access. In South Dakota, the focus is on improving water quality, reducing soil erosion and providing flood control while creating additional pheasant nesting habitat in the James River Watershed.

CREP participants receive higher rental rates than if they were to just enroll their land in CRP. Every acre enrolled in CREP is open to public hunting and fishing.

sign-CHAP.jpg
Controlled Hunting Access Program (CHAP)​

Privately owned lands, operated as working farms and ranches, leased for public hunting access by the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks. Landowners are paid based on the number of hunters that use these lands. It is important that hunters using a CHAP area complete the required check in registration slip and drop it in the self-service box so hunter use can be properly counted. Lease payments are paid with money from hunting license sales.

CHAP is a cooperative effort between private landowners and the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks to provide limited public hunting opportunities on private land. Landowners who enroll in CHAP have more control over hunter activities on their land; including controlling the number of hunters per day, the type of game that can be hunted, the type of seasons, the method of take (ex. archery only), and what days the CHAP is open.

Some CHAP areas require on-site registration, some require hunters to call the landowner to register and others use an online registration.

Once a registration is made, hunters need to deposit that registration in a check-in box located near a designated parking area on the CHAP property on the day of the hunt. Hunters should retain half of the registration as proof of permission until they have completed their hunt for the day. GFP requests that you drop the second half of the permission slip in the check-in box when you are done hunting for the day.

Gator89

Just trying to clear up some misconceptions about wild vs released birds.

Also, released birds are different from placed birds. Released birds are allowed to wander where they will.

Placed birds are coaxed to sleep and put under a bush, grass clump, etc.

Some more information about "licensed" preserves in SoDak.

Preserve

Must be at least 160 and not to exceed 2,560 acres

Preserve

On a licensed preserve, a minimum of 300 birds must be released the first year and 600 each year thereafter. All birds released must be roosters and must be marked by toe-clipping or enlarged nares (nostrils). Preserves can release hens but they do not count toward the mandated number of birds. If 800 birds are harvested (680 pen raised and 120 wild) then 800 roosters must be released in their place. Replacement birds must be released before hunting can start the next day. Shooting preserve tags must be placed on the leg or neck of all birds harvested on the preserve.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

We had to use nontoxic shot on some of the waterfowl production areas (public land) if this hasn't been stated.

Gator89

We had to use nontoxic shot on some of the waterfowl production areas (public land) if this hasn't been stated.

Yep, public land in SoDak requires steel shot on "most" public land.

SMALL GAME HUNTING INFORMATION » U.S. Bureau of Reclamation Land. » SD School and Public Lands. » State parks, recreation areas and lakeside use areas. » GFP managed or leased property otherwise open to public hunting, including Game Production Areas open during the regular pheasant season. » GFP managed and leased property designated as Walk-in Areas and land enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP). » Non-toxic shot is required to hunt small game on most public lands

Last edited: