Smoked gar dip....

slow motion

Never tried gar. Heard they are tough to clean. Obviously you have so can you dispel that myth?

Mauser

I’ve been wanting to try gar. Gonna make that a priority on my next creek excursion. That looks awesome! I’ve heard to cut em with tin snips down the back, but I’ve never cleaned one. Any tips on cleaning one?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I’ve been wanting to try gar. Gonna make that a priority on my next creek excursion. That looks awesome! I’ve heard to cut em with tin snips down the back, but I’ve never cleaned one. Any tips on cleaning one?
I use tin snips (tail to head cut'n around the dorsal), but have herd of folks using a skill saw. All you want are the 2 back straps. How ever you do it, wear good leather gloves and even then don't slide your hand tail to head on one.

Mauser

I use tin snips (tail to head cut'n around the dorsal), but have herd of folks using a skill saw. All you want are the 2 back straps. How ever you do it, wear good leather gloves and even then don't slide your hand tail to head on one.
Much appreciated! Low as the creek is they are packed in the deep holes.

the Lackster

Much appreciated! Low as the creek is they are packed in the deep holes.
Cut around the back of the head and I just cut the whole tail off. Tin snips straight down the back. The skin/scales will peel off like a shell if you just run your knife down in-between the meat and the skin. You have 2 "backstraps", not an actual fillet like most fish. Clean boneless meat. It's great cut into nuggets and fried like gator just done over cook it. Gloves are highly recommended as well. If your hand slips that skin will cut you like a razor. This is kind of what you are looking for. Also, keep your knife away from the eggs. Screenshot_20240623_150914_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240623_150919_Gallery.jpg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
You can also save the scales since they are ready to use arrowheads that are very effective. While those pretty blue eggs are poisonous for us to eat, they make some of the best bream bait you can use.

Mauser

Cut around the back of the head and I just cut the whole tail off. Tin snips straight down the back. The skin/scales will peel off like a shell if you just run your knife down in-between the meat and the skin. You have 2 "backstraps", not an actual fillet like most fish. Clean boneless meat. It's great cut into nuggets and fried like gator just done over cook it. Gloves are highly recommended as well. If your hand slips that skin will cut you like a razor. This is kind of what you are looking for. Also, keep your knife away from the eggs. View attachment 1313675View attachment 1313676
Dang good looking meat, thanks for tips! Gonna give it whirl shortly

deermaster13

I bet that's tasty. As much as y'all say gar is good. I've decided to keep one the next time we catch a big one. Was shocked we didn't on the last trip.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
My first experience trying to cook gar last year wasn't all that great. I am going to give it another go soon. That dip may be the ticket!