Snake id from a description

slow motion

A few years back right after we bought our place in Sopcboppy I saw a small snake. Wish I had taken a picture but I showed him to my wife and then we let him be. Haven't seen another like it. Best I remember around 16 inches long. Black body and similar to a ring neck kingsnake except the band on its "neck" was yellow and it's head was red. Some color phase of said kingsnake?

slow motion

Thanks. Head wasn't a brilliant red more dull if that helps. I remember the yellow standing out more but it could have just been the contrast that made it memorable.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A few years back right after we bought our place in Sopcboppy I saw a small snake. Wish I had taken a picture but I showed him to my wife and then we let him be. Haven't seen another like it. Best I remember around 16 inches long. Black body and similar to a ring neck kingsnake except the band on its "neck" was yellow and it's head was red. Some color phase of said kingsnake?
Was there just the one yellow ring around its neck, with no more on its body?
Sounds like a ringneck snake, except I've never seen one with a red head. Ringneck snakes aren't kingsnakes, btw.

Here's a typical ringneck that was in my campsite a couple years ago:

snake.jpg

slow motion

Was there just the one yellow ring around its neck, with no more on its body?
Sounds like a ringneck snake, except I've never seen one with a red head. Ringneck snakes aren't kingsnakes, btw.

Here's a typical ringneck that was in my campsite a couple years ago:

View attachment 1146282
Yes Sir. Just the one. And thanks for the clarification. I'm a long way from being an expert on snake identification. Actually a long way from even being an amateur. Just call things what I always heard them called but always glad to learn something new.