Snake venom

Baroque Brass

Y’all ever looked at how many different chemicals are in snake venom? It’s mostly proteins, usually hundreds of different ones. I wonder what it would take to make something similar in a lab, yet snakes are able to manufacture it. I guess some of the stuff our bodies make is pretty amazing too. Cool stuff. Sometimes I spend too much time thinking about things.

Baroque Brass

I was just reading about horseshoe crab blood.
I have to admit I’ve thought more about venom and how it works than horseshoe crab blood. What’s special about it?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Snake venom has some lifesaving characteristics. Copperhead venom is being used to help treat breast cancer in women, and more attributes are being found for various other cancer treatments.

Think about that the next time you kill one.

Baroque Brass

Snake venom has some lifesaving characteristics. Copperhead venom is being used to help treat breast cancer in women, and more attributes are being found for various other cancer treatments.

Think about that the next time you kill one.
You gave me more stuff to read up on. Wikipedia is a good resource.

sinclair1

The cost of crofab treatment is why i
Never risk, even a week without medical insurance when I was younger.

oldfella1962

Y’all ever looked at how many different chemicals are in snake venom? It’s mostly proteins, usually hundreds of different ones. I wonder what it would take to make something similar in a lab, yet snakes are able to manufacture it. I guess some of the stuff our bodies make is pretty amazing too. Cool stuff. Sometimes I spend too much time thinking about things.
It's all those different chemicals in your brain that causes you to think too much! :unsure:

Baroque Brass

They are all interesting, the blood is used in vaccines. Scorpion venom is 39 million dollars a gallon.
Maybe I’ll start a scorpion farm. If I could sell a pint of venom I’d be pretty well set. I bet it’s a pain to collect and probably takes a bunch of the critters.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Maybe I’ll start a scorpion farm. If I could sell a pint of venom I’d be pretty well set. I bet it’s a pain to collect and probably takes a bunch of the critters.
Let a little bitty pine scorpion nail you on your big toe and you'll think he dumped a whole gallon in you for a week or two. I'd rather be staked to a fire ant mound.

Baroque Brass

Let a little bitty pine scorpion nail you on your big toe and you'll think he dumped a whole gallon in you for a week or two. I'd rather be staked to a fire ant mound.
A friend and his girlfriend were settling into bed one night when she let out a scream. Right after that the scorpion popped him too. He said it was quite painful. I used to find them in the house occasionally in Milledgeville, they were usually dead.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A friend and his girlfriend were setting into bed one night when she let out a scream. Right after that the scorpion popped him too. He said it was quite painful. I used to find them in the house occasionally in Milledgeville, they were usually dead.

They have a strong punch. About like a guinea wasp.

buckpasser

I was very concerned the other day after my son got popped by a scorpion. He looked all around the barn for one and was unsuccessful. He got stung with his hand on the side of the barn sink while washing them! He acted like it was about like a fire ant to him and was more upset he didn’t capture the scorpion.

Latest posts