So I bought this piece of junk saw

Robert28

I got drug to a few yard sales last weekend by the better half (against my will ofcourse, but my will doesn’t matter much these days :bounce: ) I thought the entire morning “great, I get to waste an entire half a day looking through other people’s junk with other oddballs. Turns out I was the one who bought anything, she didn’t.:rofl:I spied an old Stihl chainsaw in a bunch of other tools and stuff off to the side. Walked over to it, noticed it didn’t have a bar but I quickly noticed it was an 026…..and an early one judging by the red lever. Guy who him and his wife are having the sale walks over to me and sees me messing with it, says “it doesn’t run, it’s sat up for years and last time it ran it would idle high and then die.” I asked if it was for sale and he said it was, would I do $100? He’s got a new 18” bar and chain to go with it in the shed, I say “$100? For the bar and chain too? Sure why not”
I already knew I wasn’t going to put the 18” bar on this saw if I could get it running anyways, I kept it for a backup bar and chain for my 261.
Took it home and started it. It had good compression and on the 4th pull it “popped” and then fired up after taking it off choke and pulling 3 times. He was right, ran like it needed ALOT of work. I’m thinking “well there went $100 down the drain”. But I started taking it apart and decided to start with the simple things. Air filter needed replacing, carb definitely needed cleaning bad, screen was gunked up, fuel tank needed flushing, but taking off the muffler I could see the piston wasn’t scored and the fuel lines weren’t cracked. Did an air test, no leaks, don’t need to replace the gaskets (right now anyways, maybe down the road I will).
I messed with it here and there for 3 days. Needed a new 16” bar for it but all I could find at the dealer was a farm boss bar so I got it and a yellow chain. She cleaned up pretty nice, runs like a top now. Looks weird with a farm boss bar on it but hey it works. This is my backup saw and saw I’ll use in dirty wood. Probably gonna end up being my favorite saw even though I have a 261, Husqvarna 550 xp and a 440.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpeg
    IMG_0852.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0855.jpeg
    IMG_0855.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 45

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
One man's treasure!
I bet that outruns 29 farm boss.
:rockon:

Geffellz18

I don’t yard sale, personally but have went to a few here and there. My uncle on the other hand, frequents them & typically picks up some great finds. One of his most notable finds was a complete set of reloading equipment with tons of brass included. Husband passed on-Wife had no use for it. He basically stole it!

Robert28

One man's treasure!
I bet that outruns 29 farm boss.
:rockon:
I honestly thought it was going to be a parts saw, pretty much useless to me since I don’t have another one. But I was surprised when I got it running that it didn’t need more work than it did. It sounded bad, I’ve had saws with carb problems before but they didn’t run like that. I should ask him if he wants his saw back and give me my $100 back and some $$$ for my time….i ain’t cheap :bounce:

Robert28

I don’t yard sale, personally but have went to a few here and there. My uncle on the other hand, frequents them & typically picks up some great finds. One of his most notable finds was a complete set of reloading equipment with tons of brass included. Husband passed on-Wife had no use for it. He basically stole it!
I don’t do yard sales either but she’d been talking about hitting up a few she’d seen announced around the area. Better than going to the flea market, that’s like being in another country. I just hope since I spent money that maybe she’ll not want to take me next time and I can stay home :rofl:

transfixer

I've got an older Stihl saw that was given to me by a friend, used to be her uncles , he passed away and it had set in a tool shed for over 5yrs, it does run, but dies, I need to get back on it and clean the carb , or replace it, its an old farm boss if I looked it up correctly

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
If need be, it's pretty easy to pick up a complete ready to run OEM or after market carb off the internet and swap them out.

Robust Redhorse

Try a little SeaFoam in the gas.

I don't know what's in it, but, IME, it has some crazy voodoo magic.

I picked up an old Jonsered at an estate sale for my son a few weeks ago.

I messed with it for 2 hours, but I couldn't get it to idle without going dead.

I poured a shot of SeaFoam into the mix in the gas tank and it started running LIKE A NEW ONE!

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
2 strokes are the easiest engines to work on and diagnose if its within the recommended compression level. Otherwise, chunk em unless its a high end competition deal.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think those old 026's were one of the best all-around saws they ever made.