something new

bam_bam

Well if anyone wants to test their patients try this on for size. I am about 1.5 hours into this venture and I can see I got alot more to go. Done by pecking and grinding, it will be a small bowl if i can finish it. The tool is a piece of raw chert i got from Nic last weekend

Attachments

• online 001 (600 x 450)5.jpg
    online 001 (600 x 450)5.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 701
  • online 002 (600 x 450)44.jpg
    online 002 (600 x 450)44.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 703

Nugefan

as big a boy as you are you should be done by now ....::ke:::ke:::ke:

thats a lot of pecking and grinding .....

keep us up to date on yer progress .....

bam_bam

Yup....a little bit here and there when I got a few spare minutes

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
what kind of rock is that?

That is a spall of high grade early County Blue Ice. It`s a form of chert that is hard as woodpecker lips. Most knappers don`t like the regular grade of this stuff (I dadgum sure don`t, and it looks like the Indians didn`t either), but ever once in a while, I get ahold of a high grade nodule.

Bam Bam, make a nice point oputa that piece, and I`ll knock you off a couple of tool grade spalls for peckin` work. That is gonna be a nice piece when you`re done with it. I look forward to seein` the finished piece.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
That takes some patience! I believe I'd hit it with an angle grinder a little bit and not tell anyone::gone:

bam_bam

what kind of rock is that?

The other rock was gave to me by my inlaws, They picked it up while they were in Lima Peru last year. Its a fairly soft rock, I would it has a medium hardness to it.

That is a spall of high grade early County Blue Ice. It`s a form of chert that is hard as woodpecker lips. Most knappers don`t like the regular grade of this stuff (I dadgum sure don`t, and it looks like the Indians didn`t either), but ever once in a while, I get ahold of a high grade nodule.

Bam Bam, make a nice point oputa that piece, and I`ll knock you off a couple of tool grade spalls for peckin` work. That is gonna be a nice piece when you`re done with it. I look forward to seein` the finished piece.

Thanks nic, when I started it I picked up the blue ice b/c I knew it would be tough enough to take a beating.

Handgunner

Grab a Snickers.... it's gonna be a while... :bounce:

GAnaturalist

I was wondering if that was going to be a top piece to a bow drill (the piece you hold in you hand that goes over the spindle)

I use to find some sedimentary rock that was almost flint like in the rivers of South Dakota. You could knapp stuff out of the rock, but it was nothing to write home about. However, there would be fossils inside the rock (usually fossilized shells) that you would find while you were knapping the point out, and sometimes you could find pieces that had natural depressions (flat river rocks with natural bowl-like depressions, and sometimes holes all the way through.

I am going to South Dakota this summer to find some more of these rocks, I want to try to make a nice point with the fossil visable on the exterior.