SOMETIMES YOU EAT THE BEAR...

oldguy

Well Boys, me ol' Pappy used to say sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. Last weekend at the GTA competition the bear ate me. Twelve traps set on a good farm and I caught nothing. Nothing in two nights! Everybody bringing in critters but me. Needless to say my confidence was sagging low.
I set out to redeem myself this week with a short line. Set 6 (3 double sets - DH + urine post/flat set). Added two more traps yesterday. Same set up. Pull up to those two this morning and low and behold there's a coyote DOUBLE! Drive over to the next two, half-mile away and there's number three! Needless to say I'm dining on bear tender loin this morning - don't mess with me bear!
Years ago I gave an old fellar fishing in a pond a bass. He gazed out across the pond and said, "Lord, I'm one lucky black man!" This morning I was a' sayin' "Lord, I'm one lucky white man!" Don't do pictures. Heck I still use a flip phone! But I got a photographic memory if that counts.

fatback

Congrats. Always feels good to out smart a critter and get them to put their paw exactly where you want. Especially a coyote.

mossyoakpro

Is that the limit on traps at the competition? I was just curious as I want to do that next year since it is near my house...believe it or not before I started trapping the contest was won on my farm behind my house. Can't remember the guys name but he was from N Georgia somewhere.

Tight chains!!

oldguy

Is that the limit on traps at the competition? I was just curious as I want to do that next year since it is near my house...believe it or not before I started trapping the contest was won on my , farm behind my house. Can't remember the guys name but he was from N Georgia somewhere.

Tight chains!!
Yes, each trapper gets to set 12 traps - any combination, foot-holds, DPs, Conibears, etc. And you can change 'em around from one day to the next. Set on Friday, check on Saturday and Sunday. Different critters are worth different points. We're looking at moving it from the Thomas' Farm next year. Always a good time! There's a picture of the first day's catch on the GTA website.Hope to meet you next year!

mossyoakpro

Yes, each trapper gets to set 12 traps - any combination, foot-holds, DPs, Conibears, etc. And you can change 'em around from one day to the next. Set on Friday, check on Saturday and Sunday. Different critters are worth different points. We're looking at moving it from the Thomas' Farm next year. Always a good time! There's a picture of the first day's catch on the GTA website.Hope to meet you next year!

Where are they proposing moving to? I was really liking that it was 30 minutes from my house! LOL