South Ga Swamp Habitat Hunting Strategies

humblehunter22

Touching base here as i believe this will be the more direct and best avenue to see how some of the folks might : analyze, breakdown, and strategize to hunt the kind of swamp habitat you see often times in the southern region of Georgia? This year i finally bit the bullet and committed myself to joining a reasonable lease down in South Ga along a major river corridor that as you can guess has a decent amount of acreage that is primarily river bottom swamp type of habitat as well as Beaver created swamp type habitat along some of the minor creek systems on the property. That being said 1 of the maind raw factors that lead me to make the commitment was the swamp hunting factor, living up north of Atlanta i dont typically see or experience to many areas with that kind of ecosystem and habitat around the areas i hunt and I wanted to challenge myself on hunting that kind of habitat. In saying that i have spent countless hours staring down the imagry, satellite, topos, terrain, etc... trying to differentiate areas that look appealing to dive in to investigate or hunt even as well as picking out those probable subtle areas of high ground in the flood zones that may find themselves above the water table throughout the year. The river bottom swamp habitat is as you can guess its at the base of a sizeable ridgeline that runs the entire length of the perimeter of the property on the River side where it drops down into the swamp that to the naked eye as far as you can see looks to be under water. The beaver swamps arent as harsh but no real shifts in terrain in the area low lying ground that is for the most part flat terrain. I know obviously the swamps provide cover and protection i.e. from the main range of hunters not wanting to take the time to bother going into the flooded areas as well as other likely predators so it gives the deer the advantage of being protected. As well i know there can be several different kinds of oaks in these kinds of areas and what ive read up on is looking for areas where the oaks will drop and once the water recedes will wash up into those subtle islands of high ground along with the usual swampy debris and will be an obvious hot spot for activity if and when you can find it. Not sure if theres any other kind of food sources i should be on the look out for when in the swamps that may be a hot ticket item along with the oaks if there are any. From the imagry its very hard to make out any that stood out as i have checked through. For the time being until i can get a yak down to the property i have already accepted the fact it looks like my initial trip or so in will be a wet one as i intend to wade in where i can with my snake chaps and lengthy rod to keep distance with any slithering creatures of the snake variety i am sure i am going to encounter. As well have my gear for the most part waterproofed and sealed and armed with a compass and my handheld gps to navigate the confusing habitat. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

humblehunter22

Oldways, yes sir. Fortunately time spent in the service had plenty of fun in the swamps of Lejeune many a time. Lol so this time around the block the way i see it, it will be for leisure related purposes at my own pace and scheme. That's the general plan i have in general started probing the edges around the perimeter of both series of swamp looking for trails emerging from the depths of the submerged areas looking for fresh and old signs. The hardwoods on the property are limited due to recent cutting, from the timber company over the property logging 100 acres of good hardwoods so now the way i see it any oaks that are left remaining are going to be in high demand for when they do begin to drop. Albeit an unpleasant experience getting in the midst of it ive got a cam set up on the edge of some swamp habitat transition and it has recieved some decent activity that looks promising and after studying hard the general surrounding area it almost looks like there may be a very minor island type of high spot in the middle of the swamp that stands out on the imagry that doesnt line up with the rest of the surrounding area. I intend to start there and take it at a snails pace in terms of getting into the heat of things. Especially while it's snake season still with the cotton mouths.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Wow...seems you have done some homework.

A couple of things.

When the rivers (Satilla, Altamaha, St.Marys, Okefenokee portion of the upper Suwanee, etc) flood, land critters seek high ground. Flooding down here lasts for weeks or months on end. And that flood zone may actually be a mile or so wide 3 feet deep for fifty miles.

Ain't no deer in there. They don't like it any more than we do.

But they will be along the edges of the flood zone.

Enough snakes and skeeters and yellowflies to drive you mad.

Fluff mud is a real thing. One step and you can go thru the leaf litter, to your crotch.

Your phone prolly ain't gonna work good.

The South Ga Swamps are a wonderful place, been here all my life.

Never know what you might see on a hunt...

447.jpeg

humblehunter22

Railroader,

In general yes from a research stand point. I respect the swamp enough to give it every benefit of doubt and want to be sure before i step a single foot into the "abyss" that i have done everything i should or need to not only have an enjoyable experience but more importantly return from the adventure in 1 piece at the end of the day. And yes i completely do not expect to have any kind of service where i will be, however i will be armed with both a compass and my hand held gps pre loaded with regular and emergency escape way points i have already pre determined from studying the imagry. I figured a venue such as this might better inform me from those that have and deal with it on the regular basis the concept of navigating the south Ga swamps and what to look for or not look for to save unnecessary miles traveled etc.... and yes in the river bottom swamp at the boundary of the property that borders the river it definitely appears to be a year round kind of swamp that doesnt necessarily dry out any point in the year. From what i understand the water levels recede very minor like during dry years but historically it holds a decent amount of water. The beaver swamps seem to fluctuate with their water levels being a more manageable and realistic bet of finding the key ingredients to make it worth the treck into the thick nasty muck. And definitely i intend to have both eyes peeled more so for snakes before sign and have a 6 foot walking pole i intend to probe both the depths of the water levels as i wade my way through and anything that resembles the slightest of being serpent like to keep our mutual distance. As mentioned from what it seems any kind of high ground in these flood zones big or small seem to be very productive especially in this circumstance the swamps are most certainly overlooked by all of the members for the level of difficulty to get into to hunt and overall headache of dealing with everything while in them. That is what i hope to be able to capitalize on between the regular season pressure once firearms season comes in and their unwillingness to go into them to hunt.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
From what I am seeing there is a record amount of acorns this year, so food will be no problem. If you can find some muscadines or persimmons on your property it might give you an advantage. I have always had good luck when I run up on that spot that "is just crazy enough to work"...

It don't have to be a mile deep in the bad bush, either. Sometimes, climbing a tree 50 yards from camp is the right thing to do...lol

In any case, you seem to be well prepared, well motivated, and well on your way to an enjoyable season in The Swamps.

Let us know how you do!!

BBowman

During rifle season, don’t shy away from that cutover. In fact, the edges of it would be the first place I’d scout. Find the thickest nastiest spot along it’s edge and put out a camera along a trail.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Remember this too. Even in our flood plain swamps, as flat as they seem, there will be "ridges" and high spots. Good places to hunt, and when a freshet comes in and it`s not so much that it leaves those ridges and high spots dry, deer, hogs, and turkeys will head for them. I`ve killed a fair amount of deer and turkeys hunting them in high water times.

humblehunter22

Remember this too. Even in our flood plain swamps, as flat as they seem, there will be "ridges" and high spots. Good places to hunt, and when a freshet comes in and it`s not so much that it leaves those ridges and high spots dry, deer, hogs, and turkeys will head for them. I`ve killed a fair amount of deer and turkeys hunting them in high water times.

Nicodemus yes sir that is along the lines what i am looking for in the flood zone River bottom swamp. It is 1 contiguous chunk of ground spanding for about 3 miles or so along the river. As mentioned it is the low lying arear where the ridgeline dumps down ingo that bottom land as discussed it appears to hold water year round but according to some of the folks that ive spoken with that have hunted the area for some time it does fluctuate depending on the rainfall from 1 year to the next. All new to me but still it makes alot of sense. It is that kind of cypress swamp habitat on the imagry its generally just 1 shade contigious hardwood timber hard to decipher any kind of oaks in it but i figure in the least i could find those kind of pockets of secluded high ground or islands spacious enough for deer or pigs to bed on when applicable. Right across the river is a stretch of public land that from my research looks to recieve some steady pressure throughout the year so i also put it into perspective in terms of escaping the pressure from both sides however on our side being the swamp isnt popular amongst the bulk of the crowd in turn creates a safe zone for deer and pigs to seek shelter in even with a decent amount of standing water as long as there are those minor areas of subtle high ground just elevated out of the water. I did manage to see a picture from 1 of the regulars where he had ventured shallow into the swamp and set a cam which of course the area did end up flooding out for some time before he could access to retrieve the trail cam and it did happen to catch numerous deer swimming up to their necks through the swamp just so happened past the trail cam before it went under water.

Lukikus2

From my experience in swamps. I only stayed until dark one time. It's very easy to get turned around. And two, the fog can roll in fast. A compass will save you alot of anxiety. Good luck and thank you for your service.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
From my experience in swamps. I only stayed until dark one time. It's very easy to get turned around. And two, the fog can roll in fast. A compass will save you alot of anxiety. Good luck and thank you for your service.

Cloudy days can get you turned around too. A good compass that you trust is a must.

Lukikus2

Searched for a few years for that grey ghost in the swamp. Not S. Ga but N. Al. Even got a hundred yards or so in Florida and said No. No more. The deer normally stay on the edge and hit the swamp as a last resort.

Kestas69

HuntStand app now has monthly satellite images going back to 2017. Images quality is low but maybe will be enough to find those high ground spots.

humblehunter22

Want to thank everyone that commented and shared advice and prior experiences regarding the aspect of swamp type habitat hunting. I took off work mid week to try and capitalize on that cold snap that crept through going into the weekend in hopes to generally catch either some deer or hogs on their feet with the break in the temps. My main goal was to focus more towards diving off into the thick nasty swamps the property i am hunting has but as ot was no surprise with the abundance of rain over the past week. The swamps in general were washed out and much to high to dive off into at the depths of the water table for the area. That being said i took on some of the advice and focused on the perimeter and edges of the swamps trying to find pinch points and funnels to set up on. As it would be i decided the 1st morning sit i set up on the edge of a section of river bottom swamp at the base of a sizeable contiguous ridgeline where i found a break in the terrain with a subtle enough crease in the steepness to where the deer and pigs were coming up and down that break point in the terrain and siderailing the ridgleline moving on the leeward side over the riverbottom swamp. So there i was set up in a pine finger that branched into 2 sections of hardwoods on either side i was mid way in the finger where it was more open between the two phases of transition. The conditions were perfect wind was no issue, it was cool and crisp i managed to get into the area undetected and set up in the tree i wanted to be in. Now mind you new to me property only very minor boots on ground with countless hours spent e scouting studying the imagry and maps. Had no real expectations just enjoying the hunt and the conditions at best hoped for a doe or pig but as it would turn out. Around 840 i notice some movement in the area around where the swamp side crossing was located but didnt pay to much attention to it until a few moments later i start catching glimpses of brown moving my way so i said to myself odds might work out and maybe it'll be a nice doe who knows. Well the animal continues to move in my direction on the edge of a pine timber row until finally around 9 am out steps this absolute brute of a mature 120 plus class 10 point buck right in the cutt row in front of me of which i ranged him at 30 yards but moving diagonally at an angle. At this point the shock of the encounter hadn't caught up with me just yet so i was still operating without shaking or nerves playing a factor. He is still moving about a few more steps and i ranged he was at 40 yards but his angle was favorable as he was slightly turned facing my way. So before he had the chance to take another series of steps further out of range i went ahead and got ready and let out a soft grunt to try and turn him even more for a better angle on his shoulder. Which the buck did he turned a half step just enough for a good shot opportunity at 40 yards. Immediately i sent the arrow his way but just as i took the shot almost instantly as if he knew what was coming before really knowing the buck splayed out his front half of his body and dropped his head just narrowly ducking my arrow before recovering his stance and jogging his way out of the area into the hardwoods. Overall considering the experience on new to me hunting grounds it was a heck of a hunt and an awesome encounter with a mature south Ga buck.

Goatman70

Always had good results hunting where the swamp meets the sandhills. Seems like everything moves through there

humblehunter22

Goatman70 yes sir it's a learning process for me in terms of new to me property along with the aspect of an abundance of swamp type of habitat to try and breakdown to figure out how to set up and hunt the area. Which this weekend i played it safe and respected the fact of the swamps being blown out from the abdundance of rains the week prior and set up down wind of a natural pinch point where there was a break in the terrain of the ridgeline where there was a very minor bench the deer and pigs were moving up and down in and out of the swamp. Just so happened my 1st set in the area resulted in me coming face to face with a mature 120 class plus 10 point buck that came up out of the swamp up through that pinch point.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'd call it a success. No meat, but it proves that your plan worked out from afar was solid.

Now, go on back and get him... ?