Spawning Question

harderthansoft

I know this may be a stupid question. Sorry in advance. But I've mentioned this quite a few times to friends and just random fisherman. No one seems to know the right answer.
So spring time we all get excited chasing crappie when they move in to that 10ft range, everyone spider rigging. Next thing you know they in the shallows. Those big mamma large mouth move back in to the coves. Now we back there throwing on a bed.
Well what about these spotted bass? What's their spawn like? Does large mouth and spots spawn together. I mean I assume a spot not gonna make a bed for a large mouth. Why we don't see spots on bed? At least I've never seen anyone pull a big ole female spot off a bed. I've even searched YouTube for this info.

Headshot17

From what I understand the spot will spawn a little after the largemouth start but will and can spawn in waves even as late as August is what I’ve heard. They also spawn in kn deeper water 6-8 & even 10ft range. Some of the bigger spots will stay out on the main lake and spawn on the offshore humps. I have not personally witnessed or caught a spawning female spot but this is information I’ve gathered from reading and lists to podcasts.

GaMudd

I read an article or post (here?) that spots spawn after large mouth and and wreak havoc on the large mouth fry post spawn. One of the reasons they are so detrimental to a large mouth oriented lake.

little rascal

Oh spots taste awesome! I don't know about West Point but, Allatoona the spots bed deep! They will bed on the side of deep rocky banks and on nothing red clay banks down and in the back of long coves and little creeks coming in the back. I have looked down and saw spots hovering over the rocky ledge 20-25ft. deep. In April into May when ya'lls pine pollen is floating on the water, go down the banks in the long coves and short coves with a carolina rig and a trick worm, not a finesse worm, and you'll will catch some of the bigger females that move up in May. Be prepared for tail draggers, you know it was a bed when they grab and run to deeper water with it, you jerk and miss or reel in half a worm. If you can get a crankbait down there they get mad and run down hill with it and you miss them a lot too. I've seen the water yo yo up and down during the spawn. They will bed deeper the clearer the water is. That all may be why spots are taking over a lot of the lakes, they are pretty successful at bedding!
I love spots, I won't even try to fish for Largies unless they get in the way and they get a free pass! Spots 12" and under are great eating.
Spot's "taste great and less filling"!!

GTMODawg

BANNED
Oh spots taste awesome! I don't know about West Point but, Allatoona the spots bed deep! They will bed on the side of deep rocky banks and on nothing red clay banks down and in the back of long coves and little creeks coming in the back. I have looked down and saw spots hovering over the rocky ledge 20-25ft. deep. In April into May when ya'lls pine pollen is floating on the water, go down the banks in the long coves and short coves with a carolina rig and a trick worm, not a finesse worm, and you'll will catch some of the bigger females that move up in May. Be prepared for tail draggers, you know it was a bed when they grab and run to deeper water with it, you jerk and miss or reel in half a worm. If you can get a crankbait down there they get mad and run down hill with it and you miss them a lot too. I've seen the water yo yo up and down during the spawn. They will bed deeper the clearer the water is. That all may be why spots are taking over a lot of the lakes, they are pretty successful at bedding!
I love spots, I won't even try to fish for Largies unless they get in the way and they get a free pass! Spots 12" and under are great eating.
Spot's "taste great and less filling"!!

Spots are also better fighters, in my opinion, than large mouths. I do struggle with getting a hook in them though LOL. Almost seems like you gotta set the hook BEFORE they hit......